Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if a gasket kit made for a F1 / Paso would work on my bike? Bevelheads.com sells one but the owner didn't know if it would work or not. I am finding out that there aren't many people who seem to know much about this year model bike. Ducati in Italy told me that there were only 400 of this year model imported to the US.

OK, forgive my ignorance but is this bike considered to have a "pantah" motor?

Somebody help me I'm starving for information!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had one of those 400!!!

The motor is the same as the F1 and Paso. There are some variations on the F1 but for the most part the bottom end will be mostly the same.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for the info. This seems to be a really rare bike, although I don't think it is really worth as much as an F1.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know if rare is the right word for it. IMHO I think that it's a good looking bike that didn't work very well out of the box. The Sport needed 17" wheels to improve the handling. The Weber carb was throw-away and never really worked, but the aftermarket was quick with kits for it. At the time I think they were like $5000 new and by the time you do Carbs, pipes, wheels and tires you were better off getting a stock 851. However, a world championship was won on one (with all the good bits) and they are easy as crap to work on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the time I get through with it, I'm sure I have at least $5K in it. I'm a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
209 Posts
750 Sport

I too have one of the few, and its heavily modified. If you want a bike to build up, this is a good one to start with. Most of the US models had 3mm spacers between the motor and the frame on the right side which will let you put later model motors into the frame. The 1990 has a 5 speed, the following year had a 6 speed. So, if you are a true glutton for modifying punishment, you can put a 900ss motor, swingarm and wheel on it. While you are at it, you can change the whole front end with something off an SS, and you would end up with bigger brakes, 17" wheels, and adjustable suspension. Of course, when you swapped the motor, you will need to change the entire electrics. So,... If you find a forlorn 900SS and have no other projects planned for this winter......
Otherwise, Dellorto carbs, GiaCaMoto pipe , 900ss cams, late model SS shock, would be considered a stage one level of mods, and a great fun bike.

All in all, a reasonably good frame that is more relaxed than the SS series, which will make it really stable. Same motor as the Paso, which had lots of Pantah parts, and was carried into the first year 750 Monsters. Same vintage as the 851, so it has the same footpegs and brackets, and a few other common bits. There was a 1990 900SS version, sold in Europe only, with a nice red and white paint scheme. Check out LoudBikes for his blog on bastardizing one last year. http://loudbike.blogs.com/loud_bike/
Other good sites are the Yahoo Paso group, and DucatiPaso.org

An F1 deserves to be restored, a 1990 750 Sport is crying to modified, heavily. Have fun. It'll be rare that you ever see another one.

Phil
90 Sport
98ST2

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hankstump, thanks for the valuable info. You mentioned a late model ss shock. Is this a direct bolt on? My stock shock is busted and I am trying to decide whether to have it rebuilt or just replace it with something else. However, I really don't want to do a lot of modifying the frame and swingarm. Are there any direct bolt on shocks out there?

P.S. Do you have a reference for which side those 3 mm spacers go on? It would seem to me if I get it wrong the chain would be 3 mm out of alignment. Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you speaking of the bushings inside the motor that the swingarm connects to a cylinder that pivots inside the motor? If so, I just did mine yesterday and I can save you some time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im looking for advice on the Bushing at the back of the motor that the swingarm is connected to.
Got price for the bushings of $142 NZD
But been told you have to split the motor to do them.
That part will cost between $1000 -$2000 to do.

There must be a better way,had an idea that maybe I could get one side machine out and replace them through that side some how.

I really need to know what they look like and how they fit in there.

Any help would be great

Thanks Woody

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, we must be talking about two different things. I replaced the seals, located at the rear of the motor that the swingarm connects to metal cylinder that goes through the engine. These seals were very easy to take off with a screwdriver as they were simply held in by friction. They are black, about the size of a quarter or a little larger and have an aluminum ring inside of the rubber seal. They are very firm seals / bushings. In no way does the engine have to be disassembled to take these off as they are on the exterior of the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish that was it but sadly no.

What know one tells anyone is just how hard the swingarm bushings are to do.
I would'nt have bought this model had I known this was the case.
Am thinking of selling it now and getting a newer model 900ss or monster.
Problem is they are still a rare bike that looks bloody good.
There may have only been about 15 to 20 sold here in New Zealand and less than that still on the road.

Thanks for the help anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts