Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the thread - $8k for a '007 800SS a good deal or not - and again there is all this speak of this bike being such a great 'starter' bike. I'm just not getting it. :confused: I've been riding motorcycles for over 30 years (rode before I drove, so keep the old-man jokes to a minimum) and I bought a 2006 800SS.

I ride not only with other Ducatisti, but a Busa AND a ZX-14 almost every weekend (in the summer-time, anyway - snow sucks!). I can't remember one time when they had to wait up for me. Not at all ! ! ! ;)

I think the only bike I'd rather have right now might be the 848. But, that didn't exist when I bought mine almost two years ago.

Now, I've ridden the Busa and some other liter bikes and that extra power IS nice to have. But, since I'm not on the track, and I'm not specifically into seeing just how fast I can go in a straight line, I've got to say, I love my bike and like I said, excepting the 848, there's nothing else I'd rather ride - period!

Call me a wimp but that's my take and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No arguments from me! I agree that it is "enough" power. But there is the world of superbikes out there and the japanese companies don't distinguish superbike from supersport very well. Their supersport IS their superbike. So I think some of us who eventually want to ride around on a superbike, feel the supersport is the perfect stepping stone.

I completely see your point though and it is a good one! Very valid!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was not trying to imply that the SS was a good starter bike, just that it is a good 'starter Ducati.' Since this is my first ducati, I think that it is an incredible machine.

This is after having ridden for the past 9 years of course. I would not recommend it as a learner bike / Starter bike for a novice.

I do agree with you about the 848. After having ridden the Supersport, I could no longer justify the near double price tag of a new 848 at this time.

The supersport is as aggressive a bike that I have ever been on, and has more power than I will ever need. Shoot, I have not even had a need to get beyond 4th gear while riding around town since i picked it up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
At age 54, I bought my first motorcycle - an SS800. Bought in on ebay for $5,700 w/5,700 miles. I've waffled back and forth between wanting to go bigger or be satisfied with what I've got. Like the previous writer, the 848 has me drooling and I'd love to move up to that. But something about the SS has grabbed me. Ever since I got mine I've been watching for an SS1000 and finally found one. The deal should go down this week and I expect to be very happy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The only thing that really bothers me, is the lack of aftermarket support for the SS. Everything is 749,999,848 and 1098. Even the Monster and Hypermotard have more aftermarket support than the SS. That aspect of it bothers me a bit, which will eventually be one of the main reasons I will shift over to one of the superbikes. It won't be just for power.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only thing that really bothers me, is the lack of aftermarket support for the SS. Everything is 749,999,848 and 1098. Even the Monster and Hypermotard have more aftermarket support than the SS. That aspect of it bothers me a bit, which will eventually be one of the main reasons I will shift over to one of the superbikes. It won't be just for power.
That is an excellent point. I am tired of talking to dealers, vendors etc asking "will that work on my SS?". From levers to sprockets to carbon fiber bling the amount of aftermarket stuff is really minimal at best. Shame, but it's still a fun bike.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Looks like Robert thought the 800 was the poster's first bike, not his first Ducati.

The point is well taken though and has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. I am definitely in the camp that thinks the SS is not a good starter for most people. It's not so much the power, more that (at least to me), the SS is technically more demanding to ride than Japanese bikes of similar performance. Which is, of course, precisely why experienced riders like them so much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is an excellent point. I am tired of talking to dealers, vendors etc asking "will that work on my SS?". From levers to sprockets to carbon fiber bling the amount of aftermarket stuff is really minimal at best. Shame, but it's still a fun bike.
Could not agree more, unfortunately. :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Critterdoc nailed it! The SS makes you think about what you are doing and why you are doing it...but its forgiving enough that if you do make a mistake it won't make you pay like an 848 or 1098.

Its a lot of work to keep up with some bikes on the straights, but then again they have to work just as hard to keep it together on the curves! :)

On a side note, I got my Pazzo shorties today and will be sporting them this afternoon. Kuddos to Sean!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
On a side note, I got my Pazzo shorties today and will be sporting them this afternoon. Kuddos to Sean!!!
By "shorties" I assume you got the short clutch lever too?

If so, I suspect that you may regret it. 2 fingers is all you need for the brake, but the clutch? That'd get old in a hurry.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everybody thinks is crazy that I use only 2 fingers for the clutch, but I've been doing it now for close to 20 years. I have also played guitar for 20 years..and I know my left hand fingers are much stronger than the average person's fingers. So maybe that is why I don't feel it...

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just talked with one of my buddies about the opposite point: I have so much aftermarket stuff on my SS now (see signature), that I'm piling boxes in the basement with all the original parts...

This weekend I just added a new clutch slave and since the company I bought the clutch slave from also have these cool CNC machined fuel caps I just ''happened'' to buy one of them also. If I continue like this I will have the entire original bike in parts in my basement, so I guess I'm happy that there is a lack of aftermarket support for the SS ;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
hey tminus3, i've been on bikes since i was 7, but because of getting clobbered by an old lady 12 years ago, i've just now gotten back on! got a used 05 800ss AND I BY GOD HAVE NOT MISSED A LICK!!! been freakin doggin this thing and it is EVERYTHING that i could imagine from a bike! period!!! by the way, even though i'm 44, i too am a guitarist(bass)! so yeah i'm feelin ya on the clutch thing. BUT sometimes the old left wrist and forearm still gripes at me a bit if i'm out for 3 or 4 hours or more. and this is from a guy who still can rip on "master of puppets"(mettallica), "tornado of souls"(megadeth), "mouth for war"(pantera), etc. know what? anybody that would question my 800 I SAY THIS: BRING IT! Richie the "metalhead". keep on jammin bro!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hey tminus3, i've been on bikes since i was 7, but because of getting clobbered by an old lady 12 years ago, i've just now gotten back on! got a used 05 800ss AND I BY GOD HAVE NOT MISSED A LICK!!! been freakin doggin this thing and it is EVERYTHING that i could imagine from a bike! period!!! by the way, even though i'm 44, i too am a guitarist(bass)! so yeah i'm feelin ya on the clutch thing. BUT sometimes the old left wrist and forearm still gripes at me a bit if i'm out for 3 or 4 hours or more. and this is from a guy who still can rip on "master of puppets"(mettallica), "tornado of souls"(megadeth), "mouth for war"(pantera), etc. know what? anybody that would question my 800 I SAY THIS: BRING IT! Richie the "metalhead". keep on jammin bro!
What?

No Motorhead?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Master of puppets is played out, no offense, I'm a huge Metallica fan just tired of hearing that song everytime I turn on a rock station.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hell yeah Doc! "ace of spades" Baby!!!! and spcT: okay i gotcha, how about "death blooms" by Mudvayne?! but the real deal is: ridin a supersport is WAY BAD! ya feelin me? peace my friends! Rich

·
Registered
240 Posts
been riding my '07 ss800 for little more than a year now. it was my first ducati, my first bike ever.

i must say it's been a great first bike. mainly because it is easy to right and for the most part, it doesn't make you pay if you screw up. so i really don't know what other bikes do when you screw up, but the ss800 has never "gone out of control" on me. only once did i put her down and that was my fault.

the other thing i like about this bike is it's plenty fast and plenty of power if you want it. if you want to ride pleasantly, you get that too. i thought i wanted to get the 848 but i've decided to stay another year on the ss800. with a little over 6k miles on it, i feel i still need some experience riding and i'm in no hurry to "move up" to a superbike. even when i do decide to move up, i will keep the ss800 always.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My carb'd 900SS was my first bike, rode my mates 900SS a few days after getting my bike licence and had mine a few days later, one ride convinced me I could learn on this bike and then enjoy it for the long term, almost 5 years on I haven't contemplated selling the SS once.

I've ridden a few quick jap bikes and end up thinking wow so much top end power. But I get back on the SS and get on the throttle out of a few corners aggressive and I am again convinced its not top end power that gives me a buzz its the way I can get on the power early and aggressive on the SS and really get an adrenalin rush, perfect for the street I'd say whatever level rider you are.

Carb'd 900SS is perfection ... :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts