Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

888 SPO LTD where's it fit

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Andrew 
#1 ·
Having found a mint 888 SPO LTD after years of envy! I'd like to know where it fits in the SP, SPO family. I now it came with the Ohlins shock and Showa forks, it has the white homologated number plate, plaque on the triple. I'm interested in what the engine has, output, speciality parts if any for the LTD.
I've heard it was imported only to the US market and a total of around 125 and about 50 where sent back to Italy after the 916 rolled into the race scene.
Is it based on a Strada or somewhere between one of the SP's could someone enlighten me with my new girl.

Thanks,
Mark

#4 ·
As couchflyer says I believe the 888 SPO is visually a 888 SP5 and mechanically a 888. I used to have an 888 SP5 (the genuine article) and have only seen pictures of an 888 SPO and can offer the following:

Unique 888 SP5 parts (over the 888 Strada), were the single seat and race plate with the #1, a carbon front guard, Ohlins rear suspension, Showa Special forks, cast iron front rotors, tie rod for rear brake caliper, fixed foot pegs, high level upswept exhaust with carbon termignoni silencers.

Mechanicallly the SP5 was largely derived from the 888 SPS, externally there is an oil cooler, twin fuel injectors per throttle-body and a P8 computer controls the show. Finally the exhaust system is also a bigger diameter than that on the Strada (and the SPO).

However when you ride it, the real character of the 888 SP5 shows through, from idle to 7000rpm, the bike is quick and gruff. At 7000rpm, (just when the strada is nearing it's top useable revs), the exhaust note sharpens and the bike launches forward with renewed vigour all the way to the rev limiter. Quite simply an 888 SP5 loves revs (lot of them) whereas on the 888 Stada there is nothing to be gained revving beyond 7 or 8000rpm.

Andrew...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.