Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am toying with the idea of purchasing an 851, I would prefer a 1991 model but that being said I found a 1992-ok so in 1992 it would have had 888 bodywork a little different but not a game changer. The one I found has no bodywork someone made it look more like a Monster but at least they did not cut anything up, so I will have to find all the bodywork over time, the good thing is that it runs perfectly the engine has just been completely rebuilt by someone I trust. The big question is do I purchase this knowing that it may take me a few years to source all of the tupperware? I can pick this bike up for $3500. I am guessing I could probably find all the bodywork for under $2000. so that would put me in around $5500. I have not seen any of these that I can purchase for under $8K. OK please let me hear from those who really know these bikes and have a good feel of their value and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

·
Bon Vivant
11,439 Posts
Depending on the model these bikes have been bringing between 10,000 and 15000 for very nice running unrestored examples. Over the last couple of years they have dropped off a bit so it is possible to find them a little lower if an owner needed to sell. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find the bodywork, I dont think there are any reproductions out there. If you plan on riding it be aware that these bikes are very tight and aggressive, ie: not comfortable.

They are really cool bikes and I believe that when vintage bike sales start to pick up again (who knows when that will be) they will follow the rise of desirable old ducatis.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
no bodywork means lots of moving stuff and i'd be more concerned about the little bits that are missing. depends how much chasing you want to do and how original you want it to be.

there's nothing as expensive as a cheap ducati.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree nothing as expensive as a cheap Ducati or a BMW lol, But at least I have a shop where I can work on them and have plenty of room to do so, whatever I do I will find or put one together and it will be all original as it came from the factory. Thats just way I like to keep them.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
The market is down right now, so your timing is good. The motor has been rebuilt, so big plus there. Parts missing from a fairly rare bike, I know you’ve done this many times before so you know what you’re getting into. It always comes down to how much you want the bike, knowing you may never break even on it. As a counter point, you hardly ever break even buying anything new either.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get some pics of this bike next week sometime,when I talked to him last night he was on the way to the track for a few days so it will be a few days until I see what is there I also want to talk to him a bit more to kind of nail down what exactly is missing and what is there. I know it has the original fuel tank but I think that is it--but would be nice to know what brackets etc are missing and what is in a box. I am not looking at redoing it and selling, it's more for my collection

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
As always detail are important but I would be very tempted at that price.

Mine is a 92 and was th3e first year of the Terblanche re-style, this means steel tank instead of aluminum and a bent tube vs mitered tube frame. The bike is very different from a early version with few common parts. If you have your heart set on a 1991 then start by sitting on one and comparing to the 1992 and later version. The tank is wider on the early bike but other than that they feel similar, I disagree on the comfort as I used mine for touring including a 800 mile day and 2-up rides to Canada. 4-valvers are hotter running than 2-valvers so expect more heat than you are used to at a stoplight, on the road you will not notice.

These early bikes you sit in rather than on like the 916 so ergonomics are much like a heavy carby supersport with lower bars, mine has been off the road for a number of years but that is due to to many other bikes and no time to ride on the street. I always planned to put a 888 solo tail on mine but never could bring myself to do it as I loved the fold out handles the 92 had. you could run a solo cap or passenger seat.

Making one into a monster sounds like it crashed and the owner did not want to track down proper bodywork.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Eric again I will get more details sometime next week and then decide what if anything to do on this one--I'll find out if it was a crash damaged bike or if someone just did something stupid lol

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
As always detail are important but I would be very tempted at that price.

Mine is a 92 and was th3e first year of the Terblanche re-style, this means steel tank instead of aluminum and a bent tube vs mitered tube frame. The bike is very different from a early version with few common parts. If you have your heart set on a 1991 then start by sitting on one and comparing to the 1992 and later version. The tank is wider on the early bike but other than that they feel similar, I disagree on the comfort as I used mine for touring including a 800 mile day and 2-up rides to Canada. 4-valvers are hotter running than 2-valvers so expect more heat than you are used to at a stoplight, on the road you will not notice.

These early bikes you sit in rather than on like the 916 so ergonomics are much like a heavy carby supersport with lower bars, mine has been off the road for a number of years but that is due to to many other bikes and no time to ride on the street. I always planned to put a 888 solo tail on mine but never could bring myself to do it as I loved the fold out handles the 92 had. you could run a solo cap or passenger seat.

Making one into a monster sounds like it crashed and the owner did not want to track down proper bodywork.
what he said.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Body work can be a challenge. Ten years ago my bike got knocked over in a parking lot. It took me 9 months to find an original fairing. I called places in England and Italy before I got lucky and a Ducati dealer in Kansas was going out of business and had the fairing I needed still in its box (I still have the box lol). My advice echoes those above, if you want one then find a nice complete bike. If I might add, they are very special bikes. Mine gets comments whenever I take it out and it won Judge's Choice at the last Ducati owner's meet I attended a few years back. I love my 851. i doubt I'll ever sell it.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
OK I am toying with the idea of purchasing an 851, I would prefer a 1991 model but that being said I found a 1992-ok so in 1992 it would have had 888 bodywork a little different but not a game changer. The one I found has no bodywork someone made it look more like a Monster but at least they did not cut anything up, so I will have to find all the bodywork over time, the good thing is that it runs perfectly the engine has just been completely rebuilt by someone I trust. The big question is do I purchase this knowing that it may take me a few years to source all of the tupperware? I can pick this bike up for $3500. I am guessing I could probably find all the bodywork for under $2000. so that would put me in around $5500. I have not seen any of these that I can purchase for under $8K. OK please let me hear from those who really know these bikes and have a good feel of their value and let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Apart from the year, where you mentioned a preference for 91 over 92, what do you really want this bike to be? A low mile, virtually all-correct bike? As a non-SP, you could have a little leeway with stuff like repainted OEM fairings. Do you want a rider or mostly display?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hell if I get one it will be ridden, I only have 3 bikes that I dont ride and the only reason I dont ride those is that they are worth WAYYYYY too much money to take a chance on damaging them they are all $100K plus bikes and getting more valuable every day --plus they are part of my retirement plan lol

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know of Airtech--I am one of their dealers lol

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
I was shown a bike a few weeks ago in it's own concrete lockup garage.
It is one of only eight ever made and is believed to be the only one left complete in existence and get this... it has never even had oil in the motor since being tested and shipped from the factory.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was shown a bike a few weeks ago in it's own concrete lockup garage.
It is one of only eight ever made and is believed to be the only one left complete in existence and get this... it has never even had oil in the motor since being tested and shipped from the factory.
ok, I'll bite. Soo, what bike were you shown??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts