Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Flying Brit
1,825 Posts
90 851 with 999 S4RS heart transplant

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This is my SP3.
How many of them are left in the world?

View attachment 1000583 View attachment 1000584
I'd also be curious to know how many SP3 are still being ridden on the road as yours is..
Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your SP3. Esthetically the SP3 is my favourite of the 851/888 SP bikes.
Yours looks amazing. It's quite the garage combo you have with the latest and greatest inline four, computer controlled wonder bike along with the old school, analog, Italian Superbike. The best of all sportbike worlds!

·
Flying Brit
1,825 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm loving all these recent posts, thanks for the contributions guys.

loony, that Corsa is spectacular! Every once in awhile, like when I see a bike like this, I wonder if I shouldn't have put my time, money, effort and passion into an 851/888 instead of a 916 variant..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm loving all these recents posts, thanks for the contributions guys.

loony, that Corsa is spectacular! Every once in awhile, like when I see a bike like this, I wonder if I shouldn't have put my time, money, effort and passion into an 851/888 instead of a 916 variant..
You can never go wrong with a 916 variant. The problem is both platforms are legendary!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
My favorite race bikes are the 916 generation but the 888 series of race bikes are right up there. I am thinking of getting an 888 Corsa but it’s not a cheap proposition and I am kind of already at my limit for race bikes. I would have to get rid of one (probably the 848) which I don’t want to do. But I think about it as the 888 Corsa is so great.

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Hey for the Australians who are 851 lovers keep an eye out for a friends 851 that was shipped your way a good decade ago at the time it was track only with BST wheels and ohlins forks ,Farne exhaust, carbon tank and a ex Ferracci race frame. At the rime it left the states it had a custom red white and green paint job(Iirc) with a bull rider sticker on the bike.

It had a early mitered frame but a 92 style ETI fuelcel tank.

Just curious what it is up to these days. It should stick out as I assume it is either a race bike or someones track toy. Too far from stock to back on the road without a ton of work.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
482 Posts
My favorite race bikes are the 916 generation but the 888 series of race bikes are right up there. I am thinking of getting an 888 Corsa but it’s not a cheap proposition and I am kind of already at my limit for race bikes. I would have to get rid of one (probably the 848) which I don’t want to do. But I think about it as the 888 Corsa is so great.
I can’t imagine you would ever regret swapping out the 848 for a 888 Corsa or similar. My lowly converted Strada (admittedly not much Strada left these days) 851/926 weighs 168kg minus fuel and even in less sorted form with a few less ponies would overhaul an 848 up over the back straight hill at our local track.
A Corsa weighs 20kg less again (!!!) with another 20hp if you are prepared to do the maintenance.
After years building my ol’ girl I finally got it on track, expecting a lumbering old school experience...I couldn’t have been more wrong. It is very raw, stripped back, but it is obviously built for the track.
Funny, they are built like a bulldog, look stocky and masculine vs 916 style femininity, but against my 749R it is deceptively small.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
482 Posts
Hey for the Australians who are 851 lovers keep an eye out for a friends 851 that was shipped your way a good decade ago at the time it was track only with BST wheels and ohlins forks ,Farne exhaust, carbon tank and a ex Ferracci race frame. At the rime it left the states it had a custom red white and green paint job(Iirc) with a bull rider sticker on the bike.

It had a early mitered frame but a 92 style ETI fuelcel tank.

Just curious what it is up to these days. It should stick out as I assume it is either a race bike or someones track toy. Too far from stock to back on the road without a ton of work.
I think you are talking about this bike?

Funny, I know the guy who has it and just sent him an email last week (been meaning to catch up in these strange times). Haven’t heard back but as of early last year it was being raced in Historics down here, de-spec’d a little to suit class rules but the goodies are tucked away for a rainy day.
Yes, very cool bike!

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Yes that was Roy. H's bike I built the motor that was in it who knows what it is today. Great to see it is still rolling around I have history with it I swapped one bent frame for that bent frame that we straightened. swapped out the old showas for the Ohlins. installed the cursed cyclecat pegs as the new frame was the early mitered frame and required different pegs. The fuel cell was molded from my 1992 strada tank (which still has not been reinstalled on my bike). It had a Ap lockheed master that was a lightswitch on front brakes, strong but right now power.

IIRC there was a wire under the tail that was a power wire running outside of the harness because we lost power inside the harness to maybe a pump relay? lol good memories. First ride I took on BST wheels at Grattan raceway was on that bike and I have fond memories of chasing Roy around many tracks though I had to wait for him to slow down so my little bike could keep up. IIRC it was under 400lbs on the scales at Loudon and powerful enough to be fun. His son was not fond of it as Roy busted himself up a few times with it.

Thanks for the memory , see proof good bikes will out last us all.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I can’t imagine you would ever regret swapping out the 848 for a 888 Corsa or similar. My lowly converted Strada (admittedly not much Strada left these days) 851/926 weighs 168kg minus fuel and even in less sorted form with a few less ponies would overhaul an 848 up over the back straight hill at our local track.
A Corsa weighs 20kg less again (!!!) with another 20hp if you are prepared to do the maintenance.
After years building my ol’ girl I finally got it on track, expecting a lumbering old school experience...I couldn’t have been more wrong. It is very raw, stripped back, but it is obviously built for the track.
Funny, they are built like a bulldog, look stocky and masculine vs 916 style femininity, but against my 749R it is deceptively small.
Thank you for that. I do think I would feel similarly.

The issue is that my 848 isn’t a normal 848 and I don’t know how I feel about parting with it. I could never get another one like it. It’s basically a 1098RS with an 848 motor (even the throttle bodies are 1098RS). I have to do some tweaking with it to get it to ride a bit more to my personal preference and style.

However, If I could figure out a way to get one without complicating my life even further, I would be game for an 888 Corsa. I think they suit my riding style a lot, especially with how they corner. They handle really well, especially when stripped of their weight. It would probably be a bike on which I can probably carry massive corner speeds and have even more massive fun.

Reactions: vanduc996
21 - 40 of 55 Posts