Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I just scored a 93 888 SPO that I have been chasing for several years. It should arrive this week.

01010_7VQqKTPDENU_600x450.jpg

Can any of you tell me if the clutch on the 916, is in fact the same as the 888? I cannot seem to find anything definitive on the two clutches. The baskets appear to be the same but with so many part number changes over the years it is hard to verify. I need to order a slipper clutch for the 888 so any help with some verification from the all knowing on this forum, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
916,748,900ss,749,999 all will fit. early period pieces may have had steel baskets

Giacamoto part #03R29 is the period correct piece a 749r oem slipper clutch would be a close match(has aluminum basket and steel plates).
STM 6 spring would also be period correct.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DucVet,

Thanks for the information, you are always a wealth of info! I am running the Ducabike 6 spring slipper on my 900SS and the 916. It looks like this should work on the 888. Your thoughts? Not a big fan of the STM slippers. This is a rider, so if I can use something that I have experience with, that would be very helpful. Thanks again for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
The Ducabike is likely a knockoff (maybe improvement) of the original 6 spring STM slipper similar to the yoyodyne or sigma. Materials and build are likely the differences so if you have had good luck with the ducabike I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
All the dry clutch assemblies are interchangeable as far as the bike goes as a unit. I have the STM diaphragm type on my 888 and it was a PITA to set up! once sorted it works great though.

Try and get one with the Al basket and i prefer the 48T version because the friction plates last longer, on the 12T they seem to chew the plate tangs quicker and slippers wear quick enough as it is, might as well get as much life as possible from them!

I recently put an EVR in my Diavel and it's very nice with the 6 springs, all Al construction and updated design that work very nicely, mind you, the std D/P set up on my 1098 is pretty good too and it has the ball/ramp assembly like all the early ones and has been bulletproof.

Apparently Edo Vigna from EVR invented the slipper for STM before going out on his own, they're all knock offs of the original design with a variation or two, get whatever you like best, i'm sure they're all good, like i said, i have three different types and they all work perfectly, go the Al basket though!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you

Looney,

Thanks for the information, your info pretty much confirms what I have been able to find. I have had very good luck with the Ducabike Slippers on my 916 and my 900SS. So with your information looks like I am buying another one. I agree the 48 tooth version seems to perform better, longer. I appreciate the time and the feedback. My 888 SPO arrives tomorrow, cant wait to get my first up close look at her!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Looney,

Thanks for the information, your info pretty much confirms what I have been able to find. I have had very good luck with the Ducabike Slippers on my 916 and my 900SS. So with your information looks like I am buying another one. I agree the 48 tooth version seems to perform better, longer. I appreciate the time and the feedback. My 888 SPO arrives tomorrow, cant wait to get my first up close look at her!
better post up pics! always good to see another 888 getting some love!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts