Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just tried uploading an 848 Evo Corse tune into my sf848.
The Evo Corse has all the bells and whistles the sf848 has (DTC and DQS).

Works fine, no error codes thrown. Should make for a good starting point once evo cams are fitted.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just tried uploading an 848 Evo Corse tune into my sf848.
The Evo Corse has all the bells and whistles the sf848 has (DTC and DQS).

Works fine, no error codes thrown. Should make for a good starting point once evo cams are fitted.
Excellent! Any chance you can get before/after dyno outputs? What do you plan on timing the camshafts to?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent! Any chance you can get before/after dyno outputs? What do you plan on timing the camshafts to?
I might try and get it on the dyno before I proceed. It'll be a few more weeks before they arrive here.

Not sure on timing, if you hadn't asked the question I probably would have checked the evo manual and dialed it in based on factory specifications. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I might try and get it on the dyno before I proceed. It'll be a few more weeks before they arrive here.

Not sure on timing, if you hadn't asked the question I probably would have checked the evo manual and dialed it in based on factory specifications. Any suggestions?

Cam timing completely depends on what shape power curve you’re searching for. By going with EVO cams I presume you’re wanting more high RPM power and may be willing to sacrifice some lower range power to achieve that. With that I’d say 107LC for both cams is a good starting point and kind of a known good point for Testa SBK camshafts. You can advance/retard from there if you prefer to shift the power around.

Last time I used OEM timing tools on a testastretta the locked positions were damn near 107LC on both cams and heads. If it’s off a degree or 2 in either direction regarding lobe centers it’s not of huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, don't mind losing a little down low. I've got the ducati timing tool, so I'll start there.
Looking at getting some 1098 cylinders for it too, should more than make up for anything the cams take out of the lower revs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I’ve done a couple 1040/848s and they’re amazing. I will say it certainly doesn’t quite have the bottom end (3-6k rpm) of a 1098, but it pulls harder above that. Great package.

I’ve always said a SF848 with nice suspension and a 1040kit would be a weapon of a streetbike. Considerably faster geometry than a SF1098.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve done a couple 1040/848s and they’re amazing. I will say it certainly doesn’t quite have the bottom end (3-6k rpm) of a 1098, but it pulls harder above that. Great package.

I’ve always said a SF848 with nice suspension and a 1040kit would be a weapon of a streetbike. Considerably faster geometry than a SF1098.

Agreed, the sf848 feels like a good starting platform for something exciting.

With your 1040 experience, would you have any tunes you'd be willing to share? I'm a while away from building mine, I'd like to see a few tune files to give myself an idea of where to start for a base.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don’t unfortunately, it was several years ago. Two of the 3 I did were microtec powered and tuned by Marc at DucShop I believe and one other was just a PCV over a termi ECU/flash.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A year later... I still haven't gotten around to fitting these.
I have ordered a 1040 big bore kit, should be here in a week or two. Hoping to have it finished before September.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
705 Posts
What’s the difference between sf and 848 evo cams? I was under the impression that the sf had the testa evo engine which is the same specs as the 848 evo

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most engine components are identical. Evo cams have more lift and duration. I looked into it over a year ago, can't remember the numbers. the streetfigher has 11 degrees of overlap, evo is 37.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This sounds like a very interesting project!
Will be curious to hear how it unfolds..
Don't be shy about pics when it gets closer to completion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts