Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well, they had the RSV4 at the dealer today, and I had a chance to really get a close look at the RSV4. Everybody says it's a tiny bike, which is true, it's about the same size as a 600. But the main thing is, the tail is small.

Like, really, really small.

Small than either of the Olson twins on crack. Which is, to say, normal for what an Olson twin looks like.

The 848/1098/1198 tails are pretty small compared to most bikes today, but this gives you a good idea of an 848 compared to the Klingon-Impregnation-Device tail on the RSV4.

I feel soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad for anyone who would consider riding pillion on the Aprilia...

Also, kinda of took my by suprise how much taller the Aprilia is, but it does have a tall windscreen. And another thing, the seat on the RSV4 is massive compared to most bikes.

And last, a simple side shot of the Aprilia by itself.

At one point I had ordered this bike, was going to be the first in line for San Diego, but then decided I really wanted the Ducati. After looking at it in person, I'm glad I bought the Duc. I *know* the Aprilia is going to make AMAZING sounds once the exhaust is opened up, but it didn't really do much for me.....as far as the Italian passion of owning an Italian bike goes.

Eventually, they'll let me test ride one as soon as they get a demo bike (all 3 they got already sold).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry but that exhaust and heat shield:confused: Why? The bike is not bad looking but dang that contraption hanging on the side is just plain ugly. Good choice on the Duc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry but that exhaust and heat shield:confused: Why? The bike is not bad looking but dang that contraption hanging on the side is just plain ugly. Good choice on the Duc.
Blame those fucking idiots in California and Europe who thing that global warming is a real threat and not a natural cycle.

Bring on a Termi Shorty and let the sound out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Why surprised? Most stock exhausts on bikes today come with big oversized heavy systems anyways... reason the exhaust is the first mod people do.;)

BTW, that's the first thing I'll do on my V4 too.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Why are there passenger foot pegs at all?
Anyone gets on the back of that would have to have a double digit IQ..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
bars do look high

Guess I get to spend the next hour searching for bike dimensions but the top of the bars on the RSV4 look a good 4" higher in this pic. Wonder what the difference would be next to the Japanese 1k bikes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So, is your preference based on pure speculation that 1198S is a better bike than Aprilia or you actually had a chance to ride them side by side? RSV4 looks mighty impressive on paper. 1198S is fantastic bike but I suspect the Aprilia could be better overall.

D.

Sorry, let me elaborate.

I bought an 1198S back in February. It was a gift from my wife.

So yes, I like my 1198S more than the RSV4. I just used the 848 to compare it too, because it was nearby.

·
Registered
970 Posts
So, is your preference based on pure speculation that 1198S is a better bike than Aprilia or you actually had a chance to ride them side by side? RSV4 looks mighty impressive on paper. 1198S is fantastic bike but I suspect the Aprilia could be better overall.

D.
I'm reading he purchased his 1198 in Feb, RSVR's arrived in October.. don't think he has made any comparisons??

didn't I read somewhere that 4 out of the 5 press launch RSVR's all had crank problems? that didn't look too good on paper

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

D.

This was just a size comparison between the two bikes. I know the Aprilia is going to be an incredible machine.

Truth is, as good as the 1198 is, I think that the Ducati should have come from the factory with 30mm offset triple clamps stock. I was REALLY suprised how much the front end pushed with the stock 36, no matter what you did to the suspension. In my eyes, the 30mm triple clamps are a must for the 1098/1198 bikes.

There is no doubt the 1198 will still make more power everywhere under 10k rpm than the RSV4. But stock chassis geometry and the extra rpm/horses up top definately help the Aprilia.

When I ride the Aprilia, I'll give a more indepth comparison then.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Truth is, as good as the 1198 is, I think that the Ducati should have come from the factory with 30mm offset triple clamps stock.
Absolutely.

didn't I read somewhere that 4 out of the 5 press launch RSVR's all had crank problems? that didn't look too good on paper
I’m not really impressed with the Aprilia anyway but it’s this kind of thing that keeps it from even being considered.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was surprised to see that one american rag had the dry weight listed at like 430lbs. I thought that it would have been lighter then the 1198.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Absolutely.

I’m not really impressed with the Aprilia anyway but it’s this kind of thing that keeps it from even being considered.
Coming from someone who owns a Ducati that is comedy. Aprilias have always been known to be more reliable. Bulletproof is another term thrown around.

The press release issue was identified and fixed. It was a PR disaster though.

I have and continue to own both ducatis and aprilias.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The new one may be a better bike overall, but I'd still rather have one of these.

SEX!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts