Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ducati.ms! My name is Dustin. I traveled over here from gixxer.com, another forum of motorcycle.com. I've been a member over there for about a year and riding for a few years now. I have a suzuki gsxr 600 set up for track and will soon be upgrading. so this bring me to my point of this thread.

One hot topic over there that I was apart of... the 848 vs the 750. then someone added the 765 in it argument. I figured I would ask ducati riders rather than zooki biased member. some people said more bang for your buck with the 750. others said it would be the difference of cost to make the 750 as good as the 848.

I'm leaning toward the 848, but i want to hear some of your opinions... so if you know anyone who would want a gixxer 600 let me know ;)

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Both are excellent bikes.

However, the 750 is arguably the very best I4 you can buy, and one of the most capable bikes out there, of *any* kind of bike. I'm also on Gixxer.com, so I saw the post.

I have an ex-AMA 750, and it just rocks. Not going to lie, a newer 750 will be faster on a track than an 848, by a noticeable amount. On the street, probably pretty close.

But when you open that garage door, which one is going to make you smile more? You can test ride both, even rent the 848 if you want to.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
What kind of power does the 750 put down?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
yea but with a PCIII and a pipe Burger King will kill it. And with bar risers I can eat it all day. And if I drop an 1198 engine into my Bonneville it'll kick gixxer ass....uummmm.....maybe not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But when you open that garage door, which one is going to make you smile more? You can test ride both, even rent the 848 if you want to.
haha. yeah your very right!!!

but besides just the engines. how does the 848 handle compared to the 750. that's what i'm more interested in.

i'm going to the ama superbike in richmond next weekend. another member on GDC told me you can test ride ducs and buels there. i hope they have an 848 there!!! :yeah:

that might be my deciding factor!

·
Registered
66 Posts
But when you open that garage door, which one is going to make you smile more?
To me, that is the deciding factor. There is something about the Ducati that can't be put on paper, more than just performance numbers and stats.

I have a GSX-R750 and it flat out rocks! ...but it's not a Ducati. :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
But is your 749 actually stock displacement?
Yep, not only did I verify it by doing a compression test, but my mechanic said it had never been opened before. Mind you, when I bought it, it was slower then molasses. The Nemesis, airbox and timing change helped considerably.

I've not yet risked a dyno run, but at the end of this season, I'll do a run and determine what the power is. I'm guessing its around 130rwhp, but my bike also weighs 30lb's less then my 848.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I guess, I'm one of the lucky few to have both bikes, an I4 & my Duc. 750 or my 1198S. Love them both, but also for different reasons.

Well of course the 848 handles fantastic, and the torque coming out of a corner is awesome and more than enough to have fun with.

But yes, go ride both. I love my race bike (the 750), but I bought my 1198S to essentially do everything, including track days.

You won't go wrong with either. But nobody's going argue the passion of the 848 is just light years ahead.

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess, I'm one of the lucky few to have both bikes, an I4 & my Duc. 750 or my 1198S. Love them both, but also for different reasons.

Well of course the 848 handles fantastic, and the torque coming out of a corner is awesome and more than enough to have fun with.

But yes, go ride both. I love my race bike (the 750), but I bought my 1198S to essentially do everything, including track days.

You won't go wrong with either. But nobody's going argue the passion of the 848 is just light years ahead.
i'm not planning on upgrading until this winter. but yeah i totally understand what your saying. i love my suzuki but there is something about a ducati. i dont mind 750 is better in performance. as long as it's an upgrade from my 600.

i was looking at the 09 r1 also... cuz i'm a sucker for anything with rossi branded on it, but i don't want a 1k. i like having a small displacement bike for fun on the street and i'm not competing on the track, so i don't need to beat everyone. (good lap times are nice though)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts