Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just sold my 09 848 with the following set up: TTX shock and Ohlins cartrige kit in the Showas, set to my weight for racing. It also had a Fabbri DB windscreen and ASV levers. I loved it, but I could not resist a black 1198S, which I'm picking up on Sat. I do 90% tracks days. 10% street.

I have a few questions about modding the 1198S and the differences between the bikes.

1. Since the 1198 is not as nimble as an 848, would you recommend 30 mm offset triple clamps? I really didn't have a problem running wide exiting corners on the 848. Then again, I was probably not going fast enough to have that problem.

2. What setting do you recommend for the traction control? I am just getting past novice I think - few days with Code, etc., so I was thinking 7 or 6.

3. Should the rear shock be upgraded (if money is not a real issue)?

4. As for rear sets, Acculign or SpeedyMoto?

5. Any other input on upgrades would be appreciated. I don't really care about the exahust system right now. That'll be the last mod.

Guys, I know that I am not good enough to really notice the real subtle differences among some of the choices, but note that the part I like about Ducatis, besides riding them on the track, is to bling the sh*t out it - just because I like to. And I do not mind paying big money to give me more confidence in the corners.

·
Registered
62 Posts
A couple of things based on the fact you said you are a novice at the track.

Take your bike to a good shop and have them dial in the suspension for your weight and set the sag correctly. The shop I use about 45 minutes west of NYC is Washington Cycle works in NJ.

Forget upgrades to the suspension (as long as they can get the sag set correctly for your weight).

What ever the maximum setting for traction control is... use it and forget it. That bike has way more horsepower than you'll need in novice class.

My opinion, there is nothing you can bolt on the bike at this point that can make you a better rider compared to seat time. Post up the tracks you're riding and maybe we'll run into each other.

Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a good suspension tuner. Is there someone specific at Washington I should ask for?

As for the Mods, I agree with you. I think I'll just stick to a good set of frame sliders for now.

I'll be at the Pro-Motion events. Aug 22 & 23, Oct 3 & 4 Poconos, and November 14 & 15 at Lightening and Thunderbolt.

Look for an Asian kid with black Aplinestars on a black duck in the white group. That'l' probably be me.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
1. Since the 1198 is not as nimble as an 848, would you recommend 30 mm offset triple clamps? I really didn't have a problem running wide exiting corners on the 848. Then again, I was probably not going fast enough to have that problem.
The 848 and 1198 have identical geometry, they are (for all intensive purposes) the same bike. What separates them is the rotating mass of the motor, making the steering slightly, VERY SLIGHTLY heaver. If you can feel it, I'd be very shocked.

2. What setting do you recommend for the traction control? I am just getting past novice I think - few days with Code, etc., so I was thinking 7 or 6.
When setting up the bike, you don't want the TC on at all. You don't need it interfering with how the bike gets out of shape, until you have everything set up. By that time, most of the guys I know use setting's 3 and 4 at most.

3. Should the rear shock be upgraded (if money is not a real issue)?
If you buy an Ohlins TTX, not the Ducati street bike TTX, yes the shock upgrade is worth it. Don't forget, you should get a Dan Kyle rear link whilst your at it, that will help great with the rear stability.

4. As for rear sets, Acculign or SpeedyMoto?
I use junky ones because I don't wanna pay out the ass for replacements. www.slingshotracing.net makes the best stuff for racers. Not as crazy adjustable, but $249 retail and they're Ducati corse knock-off's (reverse shift only) and they're great.

5. Any other input on upgrades would be appreciated. I don't really care about the exahust system right now. That'll be the last mod.
The exhaust would be my #1 upgrade because of the catalytic converters in the mufflers. I'd at least get slip-on's, you'll appreciate it up the road. Otherwise, 30mm offset, as you've said previously, that's a great upgrade as well.

Guys, I know that I am not good enough to really notice the real subtle differences among some of the choices, but note that the part I like about Ducatis, besides riding them on the track, is to bling the sh*t out it - just because I like to. And I do not mind paying big money to give me more confidence in the corners.
Bling+track=waste of money... just to let ya know. ;) The 1198S with the TC system is really a waste of money for track guys as well. Mainly because if you upgrade the ECU to one thats worth while (IE: Nemesis) you loose the traction control function. Also you can't upgrade the rotors or forks, without doing other modifications. DTC is kinda of a joke, its a way for Ducati to tell the rest of the world, they're top-dog in the world of electronics. Its great for those who don't know how to ride, it might even save some of them, but for guys who spend most of there time on the track, ehh... I'd rather have a Nemesis, awesome tires and a decent suspension setup, then DTC... Thats just my .02 cents.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hey guys. I just sold my 09 848 with the following set up: TTX shock and Ohlins cartrige kit in the Showas, set to my weight for racing. It also had a Fabbri DB windscreen and ASV levers. I loved it, but I could not resist a black 1198S, which I'm picking up on Sat. I do 90% tracks days. 10% street.
How much of the time did you have the throttle of your 848 pinned on a track?
Did you know that when MotoGP went from 1000cc to 800cc the lap times went down? Do you think the difference in power of the 1198 will overcome the fact that you will likely get on the gas easier and later on the 1198?

I agree with Tye, at least his intent (I think).... Learn how to ride fast, then worry about a fast ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bent my shifter on first trackday on my 1198. I then purchased the Attack Performance billet shifter, folding, for $92 including shipping. I tried to put it on and the bolt just keeps vibrating out. Not fun on a 25 mile ride home w foot holding it on.
I would invest in a rear set, that's my next move.
The bike was amazing, enjoy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tye. I hear you re bling and track, but like it was said in Fight Club, sometimes you just want to destroy something beautiful. Besides, living in NYC, money spent to repair a wrecked a bike is nothing compared the money we spend to live in little boxes they call Apts. My plan after my first big crash is to make it into a true racer and get real race mods. I thought it would be easier if I started with the forged aluminum wheels and the Ohlins. I might have F'd up. Oh well. I hope to get decent enough on the track by that time to get a Nemesis and ditch the DTC.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 848 and 1198 have identical geometry, they are (for all intensive purposes) the same bike. What separates them is the rotating mass of the motor, making the steering slightly, VERY SLIGHTLY heaver. If you can feel it, I'd be very shocked.

If you buy an Ohlins TTX, not the Ducati street bike TTX, yes the shock upgrade is worth it. Don't forget, you should get a Dan Kyle rear link whilst your at it, that will help great with the rear stability.

Bling+track=waste of money... just to let ya know. ;) I'd rather have a Nemesis, awesome tires and a decent suspension setup, then DTC... Thats just my .02 cents.
I love your post - thanks for the great info and response. I am going to buy an 848 or 1198 this fall as my first Duc, and have been trying to decide which one. Your input has been helpful. I used to ride a 400, and the 848 reminded me of that bike in it's flickability. I wish I could have purchased this guy's 848 with all the upgrades!! :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much of the time did you have the throttle of your 848 pinned on a track?
Did you know that when MotoGP went from 1000cc to 800cc the lap times went down? Do you think the difference in power of the 1198 will overcome the fact that you will likely get on the gas easier and later on the 1198?

I agree with Tye, at least his intent (I think).... Learn how to ride fast, then worry about a fast ride.
I think I've pinned the throttle long enough to know what I want. What I want is to ride an 1198 on the track. And yes I did know that obvious Moto GP fact. I don't see what the big deal is here.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Thanks Tye. I hear you re bling and track, but like it was said in Fight Club, sometimes you just want to destroy something beautiful. Besides, living in NYC, money spent to repair a wrecked a bike is nothing compared the money we spend to live in little boxes they call Apts. My plan after my first big crash is to make it into a true racer and get real race mods. I thought it would be easier if I started with the forged aluminum wheels and the Ohlins. I might have F'd up. Oh well. I hope to get decent enough on the track by that time to get a Nemesis and ditch the DTC.
Yea, apartments suck when you've got a bike. I just like being more frugal and spending money on things that actually perform, instead of good looks.

The whole premise of buying a "better" bike with all the upgrades already on it, doesn't work UNLESS the motor is substantially better. For example, buying a 1098R is a better way to go, just because the motor is already built and with a small amount of work, you can get roughly 180 rwhp out of it. The 1198S motor isn't built, so you've gotta spend a great deal of money to get it even near what the 1098R produces.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
296 Posts
My plan after my first big crash is to make it into a true racer and get real race mods.
Good luck surviving your first big crash on that 1198.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck surviving your first big crash on that 1198.

If you have not crashed on a track, I don't think you are trying hard enough. I have crashed few times on the track 60 mph+. Never on the street.

·
Registered
43 Posts

The internal differences between the 1098R engine and 1198 engine are pretty substantial. Lots more titanium and magnesium. You could probably get the power to similar levels, but the 1098R will hold it a lot more reliably and be able to rev a lot faster with the lighter internals. Paying to upgrade these to similar specs would cost quite a bit.

Not such a big deal to trackday guys, but if you were actually racing it would matter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you have not crashed on a track, I don't think you are trying hard enough. I have crashed few times on the track 60 mph+. Never on the street.
Not my point, but never-mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The owner of Washington Cycleworks is Ron. His dad (papa jon) is the suspension guru. They are great guys and it is probably the best money (I think it's $ 35, but don't quote me on that) you can spend on your bike.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I don't think so... The 1198S is just a 1198 with Ohlins and DTC. The 1098R has larger valves, hotter cam's, higher comp pistons, titanium rods, titanium valves, different cases, lighter crank, lighter flywheel... did I miss anything?

The 1198/1198S puts out roughly 160rwhp, the 1098R is closer to 180.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Slipper clutch, carbon seat unit, different injectors (? I thought anyway), probably a few other things.

I think the 1098R's have a ton into them, but not as warranted for street/trackday guys. I still lust for one though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The owner of Washington Cycleworks is Ron. His dad (papa jon) is the suspension guru. They are great guys and it is probably the best money (I think it's $ 35, but don't quote me on that) you can spend on your bike.
Picked up the 1198S today and rode 160 miles, Bear Mountain and all. I took your advice and set the DTC to 8 and I think I'll leave it there until/if I ever get a racing license. For now all I added were speedy moto no-cut frame sliders. I can't wait until the 600 mile break in period is over. I know it will be brutal as hell.

After that, I'll make a visit to Washington Cycles for the suspension. I think that's all it needs.

S.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lawyer... I've got a 1098S and get a lot of the same comments about taking it to track days. In my opinion (which is the only one that really counts when it's my money) the bikes were built for us to enjoy, however we see fit. After all, I bet everyone would jump at the chance to take your bike for a few laps! I did get a set of race body work though to ease my mind about destroying my lovely Italian body work. It doesn't take me long to swap the body work either.

As for ideas to help make you a safer and quicker rider, the first thing I'd do is opt to get the suspension set up for your weight. Many of the track days will have suspension guys on hand that can help you out. If I recall it was about $65.00 to have mine done at the track and made a night and day difference. You're starting with pretty good components (better are available at a price, but are probably not necessary for your needs) so they should be able to get you a really nice set up. If you're a light guy, and they can't get the rear sag where it needs to be you might want to think about a rear spring. My bike was borderline too stiff with the stock spring and I'm 220lbs in gear.

Focus on being smooth and work your way up with the traction control as you get your lines down and learn to tame the throttle. The 1198 is going to want to jump out of the corners compared to your 848. Get some seat time and hopefully you'll bump up a class or two.

I hope you enjoy the new bike!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts