Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

proud owner of a 2014 848 SF that I found with less than 1000 miles on it. I have read that timing belts need to be replaced every 4 years or 7500 miles. since this bike has been sitting and barley ridden I am considering changing the timing belts to be on the safe side. Are there any good videos or how to's on changing the timing belts on the 848? any special tools required? am I crazy for wanting to change the belts on a bike with 600 miles on it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Change them. Age can be as important as mileage. While your belts are most likely fine, it is better to ride with a clear mind than worry - especially considering the conquences of a belt snapping.

Not a difficult procedure and the belts are inexpensive.

Hi there,

proud owner of a 2014 848 SF that I found with less than 1000 miles on it. I have read that timing belts need to be replaced every 4 years or 7500 miles. since this bike has been sitting and barley ridden I am considering changing the timing belts to be on the safe side. Are there any good videos or how to's on changing the timing belts on the 848? any special tools required? am I crazy for wanting to change the belts on a bike with 600 miles on it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you!

Congrats on your purchase! The belt job is not a bad job as mentioned, just take your time, mark everything correctly, double check your work, etc. Setting the belt tension is probably the most "interesting" part... you're going to strum the belt at a particular point and measure the frequency of the vibration. You might read of guys offering other ways to confirm the tension is correct, but I can't attest to the effectiveness of those. I used a guitar tuning ap and my cell phone...

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
pull the spark plugs, which requires lifting the tank, so you can turn the engine over a heap of times. fit the belts, turn it over a heap to let them sit where they want, then when you adjust and check tension turn it over several times between each adjustment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on your purchase! The belt job is not a bad job as mentioned, just take your time, mark everything correctly, double check your work, etc. Setting the belt tension is probably the most "interesting" part... you're going to strum the belt at a particular point and measure the frequency of the vibration. You might read of guys offering other ways to confirm the tension is correct, but I can't attest to the effectiveness of those. I used a guitar tuning ap and my cell phone...
Awesome thank you!! yea I was looking into a good app to use for this. Any recommendations on the app you used?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome thank you!! yea I was looking into a good app to use for this. Any recommendations on the app you used?
I've done two bikes using the Gates Belt Tension meter. Had no issues. Side note- sometimes the lights you might have on in your garage will be picked up by the meter... so if you're seeing an odd reading when you aren't "strumming" the belt, try to turn lights off and use daylight.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
i use n-track tuner, i find it quite consistant. i also have the conti tension2go, but it's a bit less consistant ime. haven't seen the gates one, i'll go app storing. hmmm, turns out i did have it - the gates bicycle belt tension app? obviously never used it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts