Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weight about a whopping 150 lbs. Anyone have a general ballpark on where to set the preloads on the stock suspension?

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
That link has an excellent write-up! Better than instructions I received with my Performance Works shocks.

Thanks
At 150 lbs you will not achieve the correct sag numbers, they are setup for 200 lb riders from factory.
When I had mine I had a hard time getting the correct sag numbers and I am 160 lbs.
I put a ohlins du515 on the back but never got round to changing the springs in the front.
Call Dan Kyle as he can help you out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
At 150 lbs you will not achieve the correct sag numbers, they are setup for 200 lb riders from factory.
When I had mine I had a hard time getting the correct sag numbers and I am 160 lbs.
I put a ohlins du515 on the back but never got round to changing the springs in the front.
Call Dan Kyle as he can help you out.
+1 on the Ohlins DU515 from Kyle. It made a night and day difference on my 848 and I weigh 195 geared up. At your weight you will have no chance with the stock set up even if you backed off all the rear spring pre-load and backed off all the compression and rebound damping. You just won't get past the factory spring rate. The bike is actually set up for two up riding or something. It's amazing that the factory will never discuss what design parameters they were trying to hit when they built the bike. Of course after you set up the back spring then you still have to deal with the front but then for your weight it might not be an issue. I haven't changed the springs or oil on the front and have the compression damping cranked down to 1/4 turn back from full stiff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote from http://www.ohlins.com/Checkpoint-Ohlins/Setting-Up-Your-Bike/Underrubrik_1/ (When you adjust the spring preload, you move the spring seat. This will lower or raise the ride height.)....hmmmm I thought the ride height on the 848's were not adjustable...does it mean when a rider is seated on it, cause it still feels like the same height to me, just alot softer when I backed out the the rear spring preload. ???

So far I backed the rear preload all the way out and the front back out two notches and it feels alot better, but I guess to get it perfect I should re-spring it. Sounds like $$$$$ to me. Shoot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I weigh 140lb and had negligible to nonexistent sag with the OEM Showas. Went down 2 sizes for the front springs and 1 in the rear. Suddenly my 848 was like butter. Initially I complained it was too soft having ridden around for 3 mo with the Showas but just hit up my first track day with this bike 2 days ago on the new suspension. My sore quads and fully scrubbed tires can attest to how great the new set up is.

I ended up with Racetech springs on the front because Ohlins didn't make the required size. Ohlin on the rear. Have not noticed any significant change in ride height if there is even one but I'm a tall woman so have an inseam that fits most bikes(even motards) and this generally isn't a concern for me.

Cost me about $500 Cdn and well worth every penny. Still significantly cheaper than my other plan of a cupcake diet and new leathers!!!

It's worth it - and if you are doing street riding on roads similar to the ones around here it will be an even better improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts