Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am considering upgrading from my 749 and the 848 would be a logical choice. I'd want the Evo Corse SE or the Evo dark.

As I am talking to dealers and getting quotes and what not, I am having second thoughts about whether purchasing a brand new 848 (I want to get a new bike this time) at this time is a wise move. Any rumors/gossip on the possibility of a baby Pani? The 848 seems a little long in the tooth and the EVO/SE signals it's lifespan is about done.

Also, dealers in my area claim the 848s are selling well. Sticker is $14/15, what is everyone seeing as far as real world market prices?

All opinions and conjecture welcome.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Of course a baby Panagali is coming. Ducati has always launched the bigger cc models of a new bike first. More profit margin with out the option of something similar but cheaper(less margin) to cash in on the hype.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I know you mention wanting a "new" bike. But IF you aren't totally sold on the idea then put 5-8k in your 749 and make it a "new" bike.

If you like yours as much as I like mine anyhow. I did this as a stop gap to getting something like the 1199...

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's not too many used 848/848EVO out there. That's why dealers price for it pretty stable. But the new "baby" model probably coming next year - something like 947 :D (749->848->947)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
A few points:

Baby Panigale - It's not a sure thing and i doubt it will come next year in any case. At best it might be an early release 2014 model. And, if Ducati wants to race the thing, it can't be much over the current 848cc.

Current 848 prices - stable because they are desirable. With no new 1198 SPs in the States, and precious few new base 1198s, the 848 is the only remaining option for owners who want a new trellis-framed Duc superbike.

848 vs hypothetical Baby Panigale - if both were at 848cc, the super-oversquare Pani version would have less bottom and midrange than an 848, and some reviewers have already complained about the EVO lacking mid in comparison with the Triumph 675R.

All things considered I'd advise you get a highly-desirable 848 EVO Corse SE, and enjoy the heck out of it until Ducati provides a proven repacement.

Personally, I think Ducati is not going to make an 848 replacement - at least not with a version of he superquaddro motor. Look for something with the frameless chassis but with some close approximation of the current 848 powerplant.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I ended up buying an 848 Corse with a dark stealth body work swap. In the end, the demon inside won over all the logic (as it always does) :D

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
In my view the Panigale 799 isn't coming or if it is not anytime soon.

The 848 is a switcher model (for example this is why the clutch was wet as Japanese bike riders didn't like the dry clutch), that is its intended role and the price is critical to its success.

Therefore it doesn't make much sense to make a mini Panigale. It would cost the factory more and they would have to raise the price of the bike which is not really an option.

I think the most likely next use of the Superquadro is in the Streetfighter. That would explain why for 2012 it retains the old 1098 engine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for all your inputs. I ended up buying an 848 Corse with a dark stealth body work swap. In the end, the demon inside won over all the logic (as it always does) :D
Good choice. That bike, in my opinion, is an instant classic. It's just perfect is terms of handling, power, technology (DQS) and suspension.

Have fun and I think you will keep it even when the baby Pani will be available.

(just like the AMG 55 engines, just perfect classics. I had the '99 E55 and '99 C43)

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
That Corse SE has me drooling. I don't care for the suspension goodies and what not on the new Corse b/c those can always be added at a later time and more custom for your weight/style/etc. But what I do love is the paint work on the Corse. Granted that can always be added at a later time also. The paint theme just flows so well with the lines of the 848/1098/1198 bikes. Simple yet elegant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just bought a Corse as well. While i think the paint is nice, what attracted me was the upgrades on it. Shock, DTC, DQS, the brakes....i wanna flog this thing into submission so bad...friggin break in period.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That Corse SE has me drooling. I don't care for the suspension goodies and what not on the new Corse b/c those can always be added at a later time and more custom for your weight/style/etc. But what I do love is the paint work on the Corse. Granted that can always be added at a later time also. The paint theme just flows so well with the lines of the 848/1098/1198 bikes. Simple yet elegant.
Wow. I actually do not like the paintwork of the corse, so the dealer is doing a full body swap with an Evo Stealth/Dark model for me. I guess some 848 Evo "base" buyer is going to be happy to get Corse bodywork.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After seeing the Corse the other day, I have to agree that it will be an instant classic. If these are the last days for the 848, the Corse edition will be the most coveted version. Congrats on the new ride.
By the way, if anyone is in west Texas or New Mexico, there is a brand new Corse 848 on the showroom floor down here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lucky guys in New Mexico. I placed order for Corse and have to wait till August when it arrives.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky guys in New Mexico. I placed order for Corse and have to wait till August when it arrives.
There are tons of them in stock up here in New England. Nearly every dealer I called had one or more than one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wasn't so sure about the corse paintwork on the 848 until I saw one rolling down the road. I was 100% convinced. They look unique and gorgeous.

OP keep the original fairings and get a set of matte black as an extra set.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow. I actually do not like the paintwork of the corse, so the dealer is doing a full body swap with an Evo Stealth/Dark model for me. I guess some 848 Evo "base" buyer is going to be happy to get Corse bodywork.
xxaarraa... keep this in mind before/when you do the swap. I was recently told that, if you ever need to have the tank replaced due to the well-known expansion issues, DNA will ONLY swap out for the tank associated with the original VIN. So if you have the dealer do the swap, make sure they agree to handle any replacement issue the way you want. Would suck to have to replace the tank on your the Dark only to find that DNA will only give you the Corse tank. FYI...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts