Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong I love my SF still. Had it four summers now and 12,000 Kms. I still love the rawness, the looks, the soul! But I saw a new Tuono Factory yesterday and I'm peaking for a new on of those. Still regarded the best super naked.

I certainly don't need the whole "depends on what you want?" Reply. I know what I want and that's the best super naked on the market, that's what I crave!! Only problem is the only Aprilia reps in Canada are something like 1200 Kms away either way (east or west) and the potential warranty issues have me a bit spooked! Closer smaller rep in Minni but that's far as well!

Anyone make that switch? Experience....

Or should just shut up and keep the 848?

Thanks in advance!:smile2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love my SF still. Had it four summers now and 12,000 Kms. I still love the rawness, the looks, the soul! But I saw a new Tuono Factory yesterday and I'm peaking for a new on of those. Still regarded the best super naked.

I certainly don't need the whole "depends on what you want?" Reply. I know what I want and that's the best super naked on the market, that's what I crave!! Only problem is the only Aprilia reps in Canada are something like 1200 Kms away either way (east or west) and the potential warranty issues have me a bit spooked! Closer smaller rep in Minni but that's far as well!

Anyone make that switch? Experience....

Or should just shut up and keep the 848?

Thanks in advance!:smile2:
I've owned the Tuono, still own the SF1098 and have ridden the SF848.

The V4 Tuonos are definitely a step up from the 848 Streetfighter. They are 80% RSV4 and the motor is sublime. Linear power delivery. Great sound. Electronics out the wazoo that really work on the track (not as useful for street). Front end that makes you feel like a GP racer mid-corner. All in all, it would be a pretty big step up performance-wise -because you're essentially going up a class displacement/power-wise and getting into a slightly more modern bike.

The downsides I found: heavier bike, especially at low speeds. Subjective, love/hate looks. So-so reliability and dealer support (depends where you live). V4 is a little fatter between the legs compared to a slender V twin like your SF848 (perhaps more of a preference thing but I always preferred the twin). Aging design.

All in all, depends on what you're after but if it's more speed and performance, you'll find it in the Tuono.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to have a 2012 Tuono V4R with aprc. I now own a 2010 SF1098.

They are very similar bikes but I'm happier with the SF than I was with the Tuono. That said I might have had the Tuono too early in my riders life and found it too rough and powerful for the street (which could probably also be said about the SF1098).

I think both bikes are great, one or the other would be a great choice but I probably wouldn't change one for the other. If that makes any sende

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I've ridden both and Tuono will be a definite upgrade to an 848.

One thing that struck me on the Tuono is that it really doesn't start making power til 6k RPM, then it's mental ('17 Tuono Factory).

The twins (for me) start to come alive @ 3.5k RPM which I think makes them more street friendly.

Up to you as to whether that's important.

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
I currently own both bikes, well almost, I have a 16 Touno factory and a SFS1098. The Tuono is a bunch more bike than the 848 in every way - its a lot more power, its more stable both in the straight and in the corners, its more nimble and easier to ride, and its got a very exotic and sophisticated sounding and feeling engine. I've been riding for many many years and I wouldn't even consider owning an 848SF because it just isnt enough bike to give me the rush I like, but for people with only a few years of riding under their belt the 848 is probably the right choice over the other 2 bikes (touno and 1098sf).

The 848 and the Tuono are not even in the same class so if you want to upgrade to more power and performance its a no brainer. The 1098 SF is a whole different animal and is far more comparable to the Tuono. If you want to talk about those let me know and I can give you a more in-depth comparison. I also had the BMW S1000R which is in the same class and worth considering.

As far as reliability mine has been nothing but perfect so far with zero issues. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability but you will want to be able to get it to a dealer for basic maintenance. I do have to trailer mine 2 hours to get to a dealership for service. But luckily that is only about once a year

I wouldn't trade my SFS because I enjoy the rawness and character and the bike has so much sentimental value to me, but if I'm to be honest and impartial the Tuono is a better bike. I do enjoy owning both bikes and have no intention of letting go of either for now. Actually I just got back from a morning ride on the Tuono... Sublime!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have an SF848 and love it. But I'd say go for the Tuono Factory. For me, life's all about experiences... Don't pass up a chance to start a new chapter. Go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can second most of the previous positive responses. Recently had the latest factory model a full day in the mountains. Engine has a very linear power delivery, spins up really fast without annoying high frequency vibes of inline fours. Electronics are a dream, quickshifter works superb also on downshift. Suspension is fully sorted out of the box and mid corner feel is nothing like I've experienced before.

Last years model had more punch in the midrange but brakes and forks were not as good. You have less legroom than on the Streetfighter but otherwise the ergos are good. Overall it's an easier bike to ride.

After half a day I was convinced to trade it for the SFS. But then comparing it immediately with a friend's SFS and I found it's not as nimble and exhilarating to ride and decided to stick with what I have.

If I wouldn't already have the SFS it would be a very difficult choice towards the Tuono.

·
Bon Vivant
11,316 Posts
After half a day I was convinced to trade it for the SFS. But then comparing it immediately with a friend's SFS and I found it's not as nimble and exhilarating to ride and decided to stick with what I have.
The problem with the SFS being nimble is more a matter of throttle control and to me that's what hurts the Streetfighter and benefits the Tuono. I will agree that the SF1098 is more aggressive, raw and it is more engaging, but sometimes a little sophistication is nice. The Apriller is easier to ride and instills more confidence. The SF is challenging and that too can be rewarding.

But when ridden hard - and I mean raging - the Tuono is a stronger more vicious bike. That's the rub, the Tuono is more sedate when ridden normally but has a completely different personality when pushed. The streetfighter is a beast all the time - even when idling through a parking lot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very cool and thanks for that all. Flyn' bulldog you seem to always have the coolest stuff. We have similar tastes I beckon!

I'm likely going out go for the Tuono next spring when life isn't as busy as it is for me now. Like when I changed from the Panigale to the Multi 1200s this year, I'm interested in taking the next step and that's from the 848 for the Tuono.

I joined the Aprilia forum and posed the same question. Seems to be quite a reliable bike, from what I've been told! WHICH I NEED considering no rep in this province or the next!! Errr! (2 provinces away!)

I know if I do it I won't be changing pipes and mechanical/ electrical crap until it's off warranty and I know the thing is gonna be reliable. I can't have a situation like changing pipe and ECU and finding it sucks at starting for example. Theres no Aprilia computer in this province.

Anyways thanks again Ducati lovers!!!:smile2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Goldmember,

I own a 2012 Duc SF 848 and a 2016 Tuono 1100 RR. In my books they are two of the best nakeds around. I only bought the SF about a year ago shortly after I got my full license. I loved everything about it except the low speed fuelling, the crude traction control and lack of ABS and slipper clutch. After locking up the wheels a couple of times when cagers tried to kill me on my commute to work I told myself that I would sell the SF and buy a bike with ABS because one day it just might save my skin.

So about two months ago I bought the Tuono which I consider to be the best supernaked in the world. Comparing the two:

Engine
Tuono has more power everwhere. Insane midrange torque and just keeps revving. More power than you will ever need on the street. Smoother to rider at low revs and can change engine mode while you are riding. SF848 on the other hand also has plenty bite - more than enough for street riding and better fuel consumptions too. Both are more than adequate to slay 99% of the other cars on the road and kill yourself too.

Sound
Duke growl is fantastic but my Tuono sounds like a MotoGP bike (with SC Project decat slip on).

Handling
Both are sensational. Both are extremely stable at high speed. Tuono however seems easier to lean in the twisties. The wider bars give you more leverage. Streetfighter feels (and is) lighter. Tuono is wider, but easier to hold on to with your legs.

Ergos
I have DP comfort seat on the SF which make it much taller. Stock SF seat is scrap. Duc has more leg room but lower bars. Essentially my legs are more comfortable but after a few hours my wrists get a bit sore. Tuono 1100 stock seat is very comfortable but legs a bit cramped depending on your height.

Looks
Duc wins. So beautiful, aggressive, and unique. People stop me in the street to ask what it is. I also love the Tuono but a lot of people don't. The Factory/RSV4 tail looks great but is not so great if you plan on taking pillion passengers.

Safety/Electronics
Tuono has one of the most sophisticated electronic packages around - ABS, TC, Launch control, 3 engine modes, quick shifter plus a slipper clutch. All of these help me ride faster and with more confidence when things get sketchy.

Verdict:
You definitely won't regret buying a Tuono, but you might regret selling a Streetfighter. I still can't bear to sell mine. Every day I look at it and sigh in awe of her beauty. She's safe in my garage for another day..

·
1,766 Posts
Thanks for your write up! With Streetfighter as a first Tuono makes a great second bike :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts