Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed something odd on my 09 848, when I first start the bike it will charge at 14.2-14.3 volts which is normal and it will continue to stay at this charging voltage until it hits right about 192'F. Once it hits 192'F, charging voltage will instantly drop down to about 13.1-13.3 volts. It will hold this charge all the way up to about 216'F when the fans kick in and it'll drop down to about 12.6-12.7 volts. These specs are with the bike at idle. If I rev it even a little bit to over 2k RPMs, the charging voltage will instantly shoot back up to 14.3 volts. Bike runs perfectly fine and never dies or anything like that. I know how to check for proper charging from the stator to the R/R and proper output from the R/R, but I wanted to know if the 1 volt drop at 192'F was normal on these bikes? I know the .5 volt drop at 216'F from the fans turning on is normal, but couldn't think of anything that would cause a 1 volt drop at 192'F, the only thing that should open is the thermostat causing coolant to begin circulating and cooling the bike, but that's all mechanical?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can someone with an 848 check their bike to see if they also have similar charging specs?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
When the thermostat opens, the water pump load will change, going from caveating with little resistance to pumping. I presume that changes the idle some trivial amount that drops below the functional level of the charging circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts