Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!
new guy here.
i purchased a 2008 848 about 1.5 months ago with only 3,600 miles on it. i've been riding it and having a blast with ZERO issues until recently. bike always ran great and started right up, hot or cold.

this monday i went to ride it to work and it wouldn't start. cranked and cranked and cranked. i thought i was going to kill the battery, so i drifted down my street and caught it in gear. it's all downhill for a couple blocks and then i got a red light so it was just idling until then. when the light turned green it died as soon as i touched the throttle. i eventually got it started but it was running like crap so i took it home.

figured i had some bad gas, so i siphoned out as much as i could, then put some fresh stuff in with some dry gas additive. the bike started but wasn't running right and died again hitting the throttle.

now 2 weeks ago i changed the oil and filter. i started it up afterwards and let it idle for a couple minutes then put it away. the bike was running fine before that and i did not ride it again since then since it's been so hot.

figured the battery might be low from sitting.... 12.7V as per my multimeter. put it on the trickle charger and it came up to 13.5V.

then i did some research and read that starting it up when cold but not riding it can cause it to foul a plug. so i pulled both plugs and cleaned them with carb cleaner
started right up first try and idled. it will take gas if i turn the throttle slow, but if i just blip it, it dies and then it won't start unless i hold the throttle a bit.

any ideas?? please help me guys! it's summer and i wanna ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, i ordered 2 new spark plugs. should have them tomorrow.

too pretty to be stuck in the garage all stripped down :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not an expert on the 848, have you done a tps reset, not sure if its a main stealer job though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Mate

Just done a search on Google and DucatiDiag will work with your bike, wont hurt to spend 10 bucks on the cables and use this free software to check out your bikes sensors, reset tps(pretty sure thats your problem) and reset service light.

ducatidiag :: Connexion

**EDIT**
This link might help too

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/1352295-post6.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
started right up but only running on one cylinder. still have hope that these plugs will do the trick.

i hope :(

thanks for the link to that "ducatidiag" . good stuff!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
These bikes are meant to run fast, not sit an idle. If there's one thing thats easy to fall into if your new to the brand is start it up, blip the throttle to hear the coolest exhaust note in the business, then shut it off. We are all guilty of it...but this will kill the plugs.
I would replace the plugs and make sure they are gapped correctly. Make sure that you don't have a bad coil stick-make sure your getting spark to both cylinders. Could something have crawled up into your air ducts? Is your air cleaner "clean". It sounds like a combo of stale gas, plugs....it wouldn't hurt to pull the fairings and go over the wiring, make sure nothing has become partially disconnected....make sure the crank sensor lead is connected tight and is fastened tight to the alternator cover, although this usually results in a high rpm miss....could be any number of things...try the "search" function and see what others have done...
Let us know how you make out....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
put the new spark plugs in and she's back to normal!!

lesson learned:
don't let it idle, then shut it off and put it away or you'll foul a plug!

thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts