Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to the ducati dealer today to look at an 848. The salesman tried to talk me into an 1198 because of my size (6'1", 220lbs.). He thought the 848 might be underpowered a bit. Any truth to this or just sales tactics? Thoughts...?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 6'9" and the salesman last week did the opposite to me. He said since the 848 sits higher up, that is the one that would be better for me.

I wouldn't believe ANY salesman who said it would be underpowered. Any of these bikes are capabale of going 2.5 times the legal limit, even if you weigh 220!

·
Registered
157 Posts
How about a little background. Is this your first bike? What did you ride before, and what type of riding do you plan to do. I have a new 848 and love it. I also own a CBR 1000 I love. Im 6-4 and love riding both for different reasons. I think sometimes they try to get rid of stock they have had for a while. I could have gotten a good deal on a 1098 but was set on the 848 I purchased. Probably has more to do with inventory than what is right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm sure you would love either - really comes down to your finances and expectations. Both bikes are very similar dimensions, and at 6'1" you will find either a bit 'squeezy'. Of course the dearer model is better equipped in terms of wheels, suspension etc. - you do get more if you pay more! I would go for the S model of the larger-engined alternative if you are able to. I was going to wait for the 848 back when I bought the 1098S, but I'm glad I got the better model! More relaxed grunt, similar weight, better equipment - that's the way I would go. Enjoy!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Technically the 848 seat is 10mm higher stock than the 1198 (so I read here anyway) but it's not like that can't be adjusted properly.

Anyway, I say it depends on the type of riding you are going to be doing. I live in a placed that has literally 100's of miles of awesome windy mountain roads that are well maintained and all within 50 miles all around. Since I don't use my new bike for anything but pure riding pleasure, the only straight flat roads I'll be seeing will spent driving directly to the mountain road of my choice that day!

Due to this, the choice was obvious, the 848. The final statement at the end of this short video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWh2gCV5x8

I don't have long drawn out turns that would be fun to muscle fuck my way around, I have small switchbacks and such that I need a nimble agile bike for that I can simply toss around that will leave me smiling so hard my face will be stuck with it for the rest of the day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts