Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I were on a cruise tonight on the Multi when I spotted a red 848 turn onto our street. I knew it was a ducati as soon as I spotted the blinkers in the mirrors. I told the wife over the intercom that it was a Duc. She told me to catch up to it. Sure enough it was a red 848. We got his attention and waved. He pulled up beside us at the light. I yelled that he had a nice bike. He yelled "What Ducati is that?" I said a Multistrada and rode off.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Sarcasm at it's finest.:D I posted that right before I called it a night after the ride. I left it vague on purpose to see if anyone felt the way I do about the encounter. No one does obviously. The point ,which you missed, was that I familiarized myself with every Ducati model before I purchased my first one. It was pitch black and all I noticed of the oncoming motorcycle was a headlight and a turn signal. From that glimpse I knew it was a Duc. I am not trying to down this guy at all. He was a very nice guy, but the love of the brand was not there. He didn't know what my bike was when he was sitting next to it. He obviously was in love with just one model. The image I have in my mind of the Ducati brand has obviously been diluted. The masses have purchased and the brand is now mainstream let us all rejoice.

·
Registered
315 Posts
wow your knowledge of blinkers and headlights is so impressive I hope wifey gave you a cookie. go ahead you deserve it.... :think:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not embarrassed in the slightest bit. Saddened that people don't have the enthusiasm I do, maybe. When I rode Yamaha I lived Yamaha, same for Mustangs at one time and Husqvarna dirt bikes another time. To each their own. I know there are people here as enthusiastic as I am about Ducati. If you don't like it I really don't care.

·
Registered
336 Posts
:abduct: ...but made my chuckle ; )

·
Registered
211 Posts
dnl,
forget these fools. after riding ducatis for 40 years , i still get excited when i spot another duc ,2 valve, 3 valve , four valve, whatever. writing about your enthusiasm w/dukes is just great .keep it up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey, at least he recognized your Multi as Ducati. It would be worse if he said "why did you put Ducati stickers on your bike?"

I hear what you are saying about being enthusiastic, but some people don't know bikes that well.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, at least he recognized your Multi as Ducati. It would be worse if he said "why did you put Ducati stickers on your bike?"

I hear what you are saying about being enthusiastic, but some people don't know bikes that well.
He didn't at first. The wife and I are riding in the lane next to him waving. He looks at us like we are from another planet. He doesn't wave or anything. I then see him look at the tank on my bike. He was friendlier and wanted to chat at the next light after he realized it was another Ducati. He was a nice guy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First Guy: My bike is an 07 model.

Second Guy: Mines better it's an 08.

Third Guy: Your both losers. I got you beat! Mines an 09.

The lollipop kids and their flavor of the year club has arrived at Ducati.ms.

Tye your love of Ducati will never ever be questioned by me. The way you defended your 748 until the bitter end was truly admirable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The guy on the 848 probably thought you and your wife were part of the family driving the bus in the movie RV with Robin Williams. :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ducati couldn't pay me to be MORE passionate! :yeah:
Me either really but I sure wouldn't mind if they tried to find a number that could do it. I mean really would it hurt them to try! It would all end up spent right back on them anyway :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
I enjoy Ducati models and the owners as well. They are a wonderful machine with character. Ducati makes about 35,000 or so bikes a year. Honda makes 13,000,000 a year. The fact that they can not only compete but win in racing is cool to me. I, unlike a few other people, like the 1098. I like the 999, the 916, 851, etc. They are all Ducks. Getting upset because people buy Ducati's and somehow ruining the integrity of the brand; come on. 35,000 bikes a year vs 13,000,000. Think about it, it would take Ducati over 371 years to meet the production of one year of Honda. Do the math.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I find this thread funny at first, then after a bit of retrospect, quite sad. Yes, our beloved Ducati has turned into a boutique brand. Sad but true! I do feel your pain. However, there still are and always will be true enthusiasts.

I noticed this when it happened with Porsche. Right about when they introduced the Boxster and then again when the Cayenne was introduced. Its not all bad, the more generic folks thay buy our boutique brand, the better our bikes get. By the way, next time tell him it is MultiF**kenStrada!

Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lol....I feel the pain of the contributor....I have that feeling about motorcycles in general...I own a Honda & a Duc..
I don't care WHAT you ride, as long as you ride!
I've owned:
Honda CBR1000RR Repsol
Kawasaki ZX7 & ZX7R
Yamaha FZR600 & FZ750
Aprilia RSVR
Suzuki TL1000R
Ducati 999
....Never had a Harley or Triumph. Point is, I like ALOT of different bikes, as long as it has 2 wheels...I NEVER felt the same feeling even when buying/owning a BRAND NEW car/truck! (Well, maybe for a day or two)...but it's a LIFESTYLE, not a "cool toy" thing...I only try to impress myself, not others with what I can afford to buy...I have to live with it everyday.

In this day & age, more people buy the "clique" bike, or the one others' like. Maybe that's why more people wad their new toy within a few months/year of getting it. I ride my bikes aggressively, but not fool-heartedly...I did my years on the track (endurance)& really enjoyed the learning process of putting together laps, riding efficiently, & with the comaradery of like-minded racers...even placed in a few races...Now I apply what I learned there into riding pro-actively on the street...and I enjoy EVERY minute of it!
Nothing on Earth compars to the serenity of riding, whether leisurely or for the thrills...& meeting others who share the dream...of freedom!

-But what do I know!!
:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Absolutely nothin' Johnny! :D

If only I got, oh, a nickel (a dollar would be nice too..) for every time I hear someone decide against buying a certain bike because it's "not cool". I'd be able to retire. Its these vain people that drive our insurance rates up as they purchase litre sport bikes way too soon (because litre bikes are cool) and wreck them shortly after.

*grumble*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts