Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother in law just bought himself a spanking used, previously crashed 2008 848 as his first bike. Pure genius.

I have a few questions about this bike:

1) He need's a second key but does not have the code card. From what I've read, he can buy a blank "Black" key off Ebay for $20 (edit $56) and have it cut and programmed from a knowledgeable locksmith, using the codes from his existing black key.

2) Oil - is there only one oil in the bike? In other words, does the engine oil also lubricates the tranny and clutch?

3) First service - the bike has 1000 miles on it now and we don't know if the previous owner changed the oil, so we are going to change it. Do I need to bring it to a dealer for anything else? It looks like I don't have to worry about the valve adjustment till 7500 miles.

4) Any weirdness I should know about the 08 848? Is the shuddering normal when you release the clutch in 1st gear? I rode a friends 1098S and it seemed to do the same thing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My brother in law just bought himself a spanking used, previously crashed 2008 848 as his first bike. Pure genius.

1) He need's a second key but does not have the code card. From what I've read, he can buy a blank "Black" key off Ebay for $20 (edit $56) and have it cut and programmed from a knowledgeable locksmith, using the codes from his existing black key.

2) Oil - is there only one oil in the bike? In other words, does the engine oil also lubricates the tranny and clutch?

3) First service - the bike has 1000 miles on it now and we don't know if the previous owner changed the oil, so we are going to change it. Do I need to bring it to a dealer for anything else? It looks like I don't have to worry about the valve adjustment till 7500 miles.

4) Any weirdness I should know about the 08 848? Is the shuddering normal when you release the clutch in 1st gear? I rode a friends 1098S and it seemed to do the same thing.
First things first - make 100% sure he takes a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course, wears a helmet AT ALL TIMES, and rides safe. An 848 IMO is way too much bike for an inexperienced rider.

1. Not sure on the key - no reason to need two though.

2. Yes - same oil in tranny/crank. Use dedicated motorcycle oil only (you can research this - there are tons of debates, but the properly labeled stuff is not too much more $$.

3. Make sure it had the 600 mile dealer check - they check the valves etc.

4. This shudderring is pretty common if you do not give enough gas/RPM. Try a little higher engine speed when you take off.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I rode a 999s yesterday that shuddered a bit, but it was due to the dry clutch. I've never ridden an 848, but I'd think that it wouldn't have the same characteristics since it is equipped with a wet clutch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First things first - make 100% sure he takes a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course, wears a helmet AT ALL TIMES, and rides safe. An 848 IMO is way too much bike for an inexperienced rider.

1. Not sure on the key - no reason to need two though.

2. Yes - same oil in tranny/crank. Use dedicated motorcycle oil only (you can research this - there are tons of debates, but the properly labeled stuff is not too much more $$.

3. Make sure it had the 600 mile dealer check - they check the valves etc.

4. This shudderring is pretty common if you do not give enough gas/RPM. Try a little higher engine speed when you take off.
Yes, he's taken the MSF course (I insisted). He has a grand total of two days riding under his belt....all from the MSF course, lol.

Yes, I did advise him on a proper beginners bike but he did not listen. He does have all the proper gear sans boots. Leather jacket with CE armor, back armor, gloves and a new full face helmet.

About the key, it's always nice to have a spare in case you lose one. My wife gets to carry my spare keys for my bikes.

As for the 600 mile dealer service, they said that they change the oil and check the belt, not the valves.

·
comrade moderator
27,037 Posts
Ducati Superbikes don't like low RPM, long clutch-slipping starts. Just wind it up a little and release the clutch like you mean it.

These aren't city or traffic friendly bikes. They aren't beginner bikes, either so your brother-in-law may have some problems with this thing.

As far as the service goes, I'd change the oil and ride it.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Yeah I second it being a lot of bike for a beginner... I don't think the wet vs. dry has anything to do with the shuddering as much as just being a characteristic of Ducati powerplants. Thinking back on it, I don't think a Duc is a good bike to learn on as far as clutch feel. When I took my MSF course they were all about letting the clutch out and feeding on the power very slowly. If I let the clutch out on my 999 it would probably just stutter, lurch and die. Come to think of it, that's why my friend dumped my 748. She did fine on a Ninja 250 and a ZX6R because she liked to let the clutch out slowly and gradually add gas but that didn't work so well with the 748.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bad idea on the 848 as a first bike!!! These bikes don't like to be ridden slow, something as simple as taking a right turn on a city street isn't easy compared to the bicycles they have you ride at MSF!

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Yup, he almost did that three times today.
yea, tough starter bike. very little steering lock, and really doesn't like going slow. My advice (not that anyone asked for it)... put it in the garage, spend $1000 on a junker and learn to ride it for at least 3-4 months. Then take the 848 out again... it will stay looking nice for longer that way.

·
Registered
326 Posts

I've got an 848 and the motor does chatter. The severity seems to depend on engine RPM and the gear that you're in at the time. It's no where near as smooth as a Japanese in-line 4. With respect to the 600 mile service, I doubt they'll check the valves. My owners manual doesn't specify a valve check until 7,500 miles. My 600 mile service cost well under $200, so I doubt that a dealer would even look at them....unless Ducati has discovered some kind of new noninvasive valve adjustment procedure.:p:D

With respect to those that ask me for advice on choosing their very first motorcycle, I always respond "dirtbike!":p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just watched that video. DOH!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
With respect to those that ask me for advice on choosing their very first motorcycle, I always respond "dirtbike!":p
You may want to keep that to yourself. The guys who never had one get a little testy when you claim they could seriously learn a lot from one. Trust me I learned the hard way.:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not funny, sad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The shuddering you refer to is common to a twin. These bikes don't like anything below 4000 rpm. A 14T front sprocket will help alot. The twins are not as smooth as the inline 4's, down low. It takes some getting used to.
As far as oil, buy full synthetic only. I prefer Mobil 1 4T.
+1 on buying a junker to learn on for a few months. Hopefully he will take it easy and listen to other experianced riders. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts