Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering buying something for myself at Christmas or after the new year. I've been considering something during the winter when dealers are much more flexible with pricing.

Just wanted everyone's impressions/thoughts/experiences on any or all the bikes mentioned.

If you have any thoughts or experience on any or all the bikes, tell me what your impressions are and what were the determination factors of why you chose what you chose.

Things like ride, even comfort, accelearation, response, feel, power and handling. Anything and everything is helpful.

Please chime in with all/any input.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Here Duc man, BUT the 2009 R1 w/ the advanced firing order is one friggin impressive ride. Opt for the 848 judging your current bikes.... Be a nice addition to your lineup.

·
9,757 Posts
I liked the new R1 until I saw one up close. Everything is so run of the mill and looks like it was made in a cooking appliance factory. The wheels, the triple, the frame...blech! Made by Kelvinator and T-Fal! I dare to say the Kawasaki zx10r has a better fit and finish, with the Gixxer thou coming in a close second. Don't forget the new R1 is a heavy pig too. IMO the next gen R1 will be the one to look at more closely.

As far as the ducs go, look at my sig ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've ridden the new R1 and it has a nice sound, but I was disappointed, yet again, in Japanese aesthetics. To me its not even close, appearance-wise, to the 848/1098/1198 family.

Want something really new/different? Wait for the Aprilia RSV4.

·
Registered
347 Posts
diversity is the spice of life
I like my bikes italian, my cars german, my women non-shemales

get the R1

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've been considering buying something for myself at Christmas or after the new year. I've been considering something during the winter when dealers are much more flexible with pricing.

Just wanted everyone's impressions/thoughts/experiences on any or all the bikes mentioned.

If you have any thoughts or experience on any or all the bikes, tell me what your impressions are and what were the determination factors of why you chose what you chose.

Things like ride, even comfort, accelearation, response, feel, power and handling. Anything and everything is helpful.

Please chime in with all/any input.

Thanks in advance
To start with the Nicky Hayden special WILL NOT be on sale come winter, in fact most are already sold...........
The 848-1098-1198 may be lower in price.................
The R1, well they are collecting dust already on the showroom floors around here, they could be had the cheapest....

But if you are considering a R1 and a Ducati together, then maybe you better do bit more research, as many here would say you know little about Ducati's.....

And if you cannot see the cookie-cutter cheap look of the R1, then maybe that IS the bike for you......

Say hi to Santa for me.......

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
You should consider a CBR1000RR, the 08's are going for like $6700 right now brand new. Now that is cheap.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Seems like you have a 1098s. I think you have an 848 on major steroids then. You have a 2008 R1. IMO, it is a better bike than the 2009 at this point. I'd wait until 2011 on the R1, when it will not doubt be sorted, powered up and lighter. If you are truly bored and want something different, try a naked bike, unless you are a faired bike collector. Leftover Tuonos are going cheap. Or StreetFighter. Nice decision to have to make!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
My review of the Ducati 848 is here. In two words: Trackday bike.

I owned a 2006 R1, much prettier than the current model. The power of a 4 cylinder liter bike is exhilarating but the R1 is not a midrange monster (even the new one) so you end up a) never even having a clue about it's performance potential or b) being encouraged to ride way too hard for sanity on the street depending on your level of self control and riding skill. In the end I switched to a Ducati because it is more enjoyable to ride more sedately and just as much fun to ride flat-out when the occasion (track) arises.

If you ask me if you are cross shopping an 848 and an R1 you probably should go back to the drawing board and ask what do I want from a bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts