Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was enjoying the Ducati factory tour about a month ago, and they had a number of 848 Nicky Hayden Edition bikes there. I hadn't heard of this bike before then, but also haven't seen anything since-- I assumed that when I got back to the US that there would be plenty of information/images around, which hasn't happened. Of course I couldn't take a photo since it's not allowed. Does anyone know anything about this bike? Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I didn't get much after a search.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
from a marketing perspective, it's really hard to sell a bike with Nicky Hayden's name on it since he hasn't lived up to expectations/hype/etc.
Once he starts winning, it'll be far easier to charge a premium.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
from a marketing perspective, it's really hard to sell a bike with Nicky Hayden's name on it since he hasn't lived up to expectations/hype/etc.
Once he starts winning, it'll be far easier to charge a premium.
Yeah, he's no Ben Bostrom...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it looked very close in a way to the Bayliss 1098 R, only replace the Australian livery with the American flag and #69- stars and stripes kind of thing, but not over done in my opinion- I guess that depends on taste, though. Other than the paint, I didn't see any higher spec kit- brakes, suspension, etc. all the same as standard. I thought about how they could move these with Nicky at the back of the pack, which I'm sure they've thought about, but these bikes were done and ready to ship- and I don't mean a handful, but rows of bikes. A number of them had replacement right forks- and by replacement, I mean a solid tube to keep the bike together. Other bikes had this as well, which means they were waiting to sort out the fork problem they've been having that everyone's read about already. I'm not interested in buying this bike per se, only that it seemed strange that they were ready to go, most of them probably to their biggest market, and I hadn't heard peep.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Have not heard of the bike yet. Once they sort through the electronics for Nicky, he will be at the front. This year will probably be spent sorting the bike, next year will be a different story. He is more of an old school rider, does not like the driver aids. But, I think he will be able to adapt. Sorry to get off topic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow now, Nicky is only human, just like Ben. That Fricking Ducati 800 so far can only be riden by one person, Casey.

Nicky is a great rider, just stuck on a ill-handling beast. Ben could not do any better on that bike presently, just ask him.....

If we are giving opinions, Ducati short-changed Nicky by offering a bike that is still sub-par pertaining to the Electronics, compared to everybody else. He has busted himself up more at Ducati, than ever at Honda...........

Yeah, he's no Ben Bostrom...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Wow now, Nicky is only human, just like Ben. That Fricking Ducati 800 so far can only be riden by one person, Casey.

Nicky is a great rider, just stuck on a ill-handling beast. Ben could not do any better on that bike presently, just ask him.....

If we are giving opinions, Ducati short-changed Nicky by offering a bike that is still sub-par pertaining to the Electronics, compared to everybody else. He has busted himself up more at Ducati, than ever at Honda...........
+1 Casey has had plenty of time to be acclimated to that bike. Nicky needs more time. And with the testing ban, it only makes it take longer.

·
Registered
698 Posts

Amazing how people don't see irony. rcrob's gotta be one of the biggest Hayden fans here.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts

Hes busting himself up trying too hard to wrestle the bike. It should be him doing the inputs and the bike responding, not the other way around. You can't clone Casey, so to find a replacement for Nicky (if no improvement is made) is futile, just ask Marco. Fix the damn bike and the fix I believe is there. They moved forward in that department recently with subsequent adjustments based on the help of a test rider and results were there.

I still have faith in the bike coming around and being competitive, hopefully Nicky's contract at least has him on the bike through next year. Just by following his comments, it sounds like he is trying his ass off to reconcile the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Have not heard of the bike yet. Once they sort through the electronics for Nicky, he will be at the front. This year will probably be spent sorting the bike, next year will be a different story. He is more of an old school rider, does not like the driver aids. But, I think he will be able to adapt. Sorry to get off topic.

+1 Casey has had plenty of time to be acclimated to that bike. Nicky needs more time. And with the testing ban, it only makes it take longer.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep: Back in AMA 2010

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Amazing how people don't see irony. rcrob's gotta be one of the biggest Hayden fans here.
I was being facetious, since my response was to a post saying he hadn't done enough to warrant a special edition bike, yet Bostrom who got thrown off the factory superbike squad got one. I wouldn't call my self he biggest fan of anyone, there are a lot of riders I like, i.e Lorenzo, Rossi, Hayden, Edwards etc. I have defnded his record, because frankly it is much better than many of his peers, including some of the top guys who came up through the 125's. While he doesn't have the wins some of his peers do, he has been very consistent and has proven himself a capable rider for the class. He currently tops the list active guys who came up through superbikes and managed to get his championship in less time than the prodigal son (Pedrossa). On top of that he has a very strong work ethic and is first to accept blame for poor performances. If it weren't for the Kentucky accent I'd have nothing to dislike.

But thanks for getting the sarcasm.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hes busting himself up trying too hard to wrestle the bike. It should be him doing the inputs and the bike responding, not the other way around. You can't clone Casey, so to find a replacement for Nicky (if no improvement is made) is futile, just ask Marco. Fix the damn bike and the fix I believe is there. They moved forward in that department recently with subsequent adjustments based on the help of a test rider and results were there.

I still have faith in the bike coming around and being competitive, hopefully Nicky's contract at least has him on the bike through next year. Just by following his comments, it sounds like he is trying his ass off to reconcile the bike.
I'm not convinced they moved forward after the test. In spain Nicky hit the ground running and then basically stagnated. The times where closer, but in the subsequent test on Monday they weren't able to match race pace. Again the trouble arose with them getting a different bike than they had the day before and the test really wasn't fruitful. With the limited test time this year every second counts more than ever. If they can't get their bike more consistent from race to race they will be doomed to chase the back of the pack.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Lets get back on topic.

It doesn't make much sense to me to sell a Nicky bike. They didn't make a Stoner Replica out of the Desmosidici after he won. So w/out Nicky doing anything yet for Ducati doesn't make sense to make a Hayden bike. He has been at the front of the 848 marketing campaign up till now.

Ducati did say they had big announcements forthcoming at Laguna Seca. So it could be a Hayden bike, or a Ducati Vyper Cruiser. Doing a release at Laguna Seca could lend itself more toward a replica.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
What marketing???

I've always been intrigued by the notion that Ducati hired Hayden simply as a "marketing tool" in the U.S. I hear that all the time.

So answer me this: What exactly has Ducati done in the U.S. to market themselves using Hayden? Anything???

Okay, there's a couple of pictures floating around of Nicky sitting on an 848. Other than that, what? I haven't seen so much as a frikkin' T-shirt available with Ducati/Hayden on it. No stickers, posters, nothing. Hell, you can still get Troy Bayliss gear from Ducati!

So there are two possibilities:

1) Ducati doesn't know how to market anything. :rolleyes:

2) Ducati hired Nicky because they respected his abilities as a racer and World Champion and felt he could win races for them, despite the fact that so many armchair experts on the internet feel otherwise.

Hmm. I think I know which one I'd guess...

1 - 20 of 71 Posts