Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my new 848 NH Edition. do you guys think I'm nuts if I cut a hole for a frame slider?

·
Registered
264 Posts
+1 for no cut.
After all, if the bike goes down and slides, you don't want a protruding frame slider to catch on something. If I buy another bike, I'm going with no-cut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more focused on protection from minor tip over. was thinking it better to have a hole cut than lose the entire panel. was going to get the woodcraft model with either red or blue anodized head. most folks are against but this is limited edition model so want to protect paint job as much as possible.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Then don't cut! You cut the fairing it's a total loss just the same as a scratch from a drop, in ANYONEs eyes!

Go with no cut sliders or better yet get track plastic and keep the originals safe or just save up and buy new fairings from Ducati while you still even can and keep those tucked away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just got my new 848 NH Edition. do you guys think I'm nuts if I cut a hole for a frame slider?
"Are You Mad Man?" - Elaine Benes

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can always use the SpeedyMoto "under the bodywork" sliders ;)

So no cutting and you do have protection.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We are pulling yet another engine (about 3 or 4 a year) to weld up the cases from a frame slider consentrating the impact to one area. Dont you have insurance?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had WoodCraft frame sliders on my '07 GSXR, and they did provide the necessary protection on low speed get-offs or accidental tip-overs (..and helping to avoid scratching up the fairings). With that being said, I'd probably have a hard time cutting into my Ducati fairings. On the flipside, if the work is clean (..as it was on my GSXR; work performed by the late Rider's Inc. in Canoga Park), then it won't look bad. I'm not a fan of no-cut sliders because I've seen bad things occur because of them. To each their own however. Good luck!

P.S. MultiDoc, can you provide more info on the "under the bodywork" SpeedyMoto product?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, that is what frame slider were disgned for, to protect the sheetmetal GSXR frames from being dented. Not a worry on a Duc. I think since the slider companies were making them they thought they might as well make (and sell $$) to all brand owners. IMHO
I had WoodCraft frame sliders on my '07 GSXR, and they did provide the necessary protection on low speed get-offs or accidental tip-overs (..and helping to avoid scratching up the fairings). With that being said, I'd probably have a hard time cutting into my Ducati fairings. On the flipside, if the work is clean (..as it was on my GSXR; work performed by the late Rider's Inc. in Canoga Park), then it won't look bad. I'm not a fan of no-cut sliders because I've seen bad things occur because of them. To each their own however. Good luck!

P.S. MultiDoc, can you provide more info on the "under the bodywork" SpeedyMoto product?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I vote to cut for the frame sliders. Having had my 848 go down in a low speed low-side, it would have been done to have the sliders.

I don't think you are ruining the value of the bike. Rash down the side that could have been avoided, certainly does.

The tail piece, is $1200.

The belly pan is almost $600. The center side panel is around $500.

The damage adds up fast. I would rather have a small but nice and professional hole cut and a quality frame slider, than to shell out a couple grand for new plastics.

But if you want to be a Ducati purist and see a little hole as blasphemy, then by all means, don't protect the bike.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I vote to cut for the frame sliders. Having had my 848 go down in a low speed low-side, it would have been done to have the sliders.

I don't think you are ruining the value of the bike. Rash down the side that could have been avoided, certainly does.

The tail piece, is $1200.

The belly pan is almost $600. The center side panel is around $500.

The damage adds up fast. I would rather have a small but nice and professional hole cut and a quality frame slider, than to shell out a couple grand for new plastics.

But if you want to be a Ducati purist and see a little hole as blasphemy, then by all means, don't protect the bike.

+1. I mean, I thought that was the point of sliders in the first place, to protect body work and hardware in the case of the annoying tip overs and low speed incidents. With higher speed stuff you're pretty much screwed no matter what. I've never understood the point of the under bodywork slider.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
+1. I mean, I thought that was the point of sliders in the first place, to protect body work and hardware in the case of the annoying tip overs and low speed incidents. With higher speed stuff you're pretty much screwed no matter what. I've never understood the point of the under bodywork slider.
Exactly. Frame Sliders are so common today that nobody gives them a second thought. Nobody is going to offer you $500 less for your bike because it has frame sliders installed.

Just make sure that it is done very nicely. Measure several times to make sure they are perfect, and fit a nice large rubber grommet into the hole to really clean it up and make it look like it came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exactly. Frame Sliders are so common today that nobody gives them a second thought. Nobody is going to offer you $500 less for your bike because it has frame sliders installed.

Just make sure that it is done very nicely. Measure several times to make sure they are perfect, and fit a nice large rubber grommet into the hole to really clean it up and make it look like it came from the factory that way.
Noticed you had a hayden Edition as well. Did you install cut sliders?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Even if you do decide to cut the plastics for the sliders, you run the risk of having the plastic rashed anyway. Most of the time when bikes go down, (whether it be a tip over or 10 mph off) the plastics are gonna get scratched, even with frame sliders. Frame sliders are not 100% against damage to the plastics. Either way, you will most likely have to buy new panels. Underbody sliders are good to protect the important stuff, such as engine cases.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's another option to think about. If you're just worried about messing up the "limited edition" plastics, have you thought about getting picking up some used OEM bodywork (even if it had some cosmetic damage), or some cheap eBay Chinese plastic? That way you could "save" the original bodywork.

I know for me, I'm thinking about it. I feel like I would ride harder & enjoy it more if I didn't have to "worry" about the plastic. I personally wouldn't mind riding with some OEM bodywork that had scuffs/rash in it if I could find it for a great price.

·
Registered
443 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts