Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. just checking to see if anyone with an 848 knows about the side stand sensor and is there a relay that could go bad? The problem I'm having is the bike starts idols, but when you try to roll out the clutch it feels and sounds like the kill switch is being hit and then back on... I was riding the bike for about two hours mostly 4550 mile an hour got onto the freeway running hard 70, 80 miles an hour and then went into stop and go traffic. That's when the bike started acting funny but if I kept the RPMs up and really rang it out, it's seem to be OK.. but riding slow it felt like the kill switch was being turned off and then on. I checked the side stand when I got home I bypassed it it still happened I check the stand to see maybe the kickstand was falling down and causing it to cut off but it doesn't seem to be that I was wondering if there was a relay somewhere that could've gone bad... put it on the computer and I don't have any codes any advice or anyone with something similar to this situation would love to know some input thank you for your guys time

Ducatirider189

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
This ones a head scratcher. I’m guessing here but the tps in the lower reading could causing the problem. What rpm does it go away? What throttle position? Just off the stop or a little off the stop? What about under load. Ride in the higher gears, 4-5th, to give you a better idea of throttle position and load.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This ones a head scratcher. I’m guessing here but the tps in the lower reading could causing the problem. What rpm does it go away? What throttle position? Just off the stop or a little off the stop? What about under load. Ride in the higher gears, 4-5th, to give you a better idea of throttle position and load.
That's a good question.. I didn't pay much attention to where in the throttle it started.. it doesn't seem to be a certain part of the throttle because on the test ride, sometimes it almost feels like it went away but then coming to a stop and giving it just a little throttle, you can feel it. But it won't stall.. it definitely feels like an electrical connection.. I just don't know if this kickstand switch runs through a relay or does it go directly to the computer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check alternator output voltage. Put a volt meter on the battery positive and negative leads and see what it reads while running. If it falls below 10 volts you may be running on mostly battery power and ECUs don't like that. Not enough voltage to run the fuel pump. injectors and coils.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
A classic symptom of bad reg/rec is instruments and lights playing up. Haven’t seen one run as the OP has described. Not saying I’m right, just not my experience.
If you think these bikes were put on this earth to confound us, wait till the V4 is five years old. My Audi popped a hose on one of the turbos and the diagnostics said abs controller shit itself. Go figure. My sons Nissan had the clock ribbon replaced and threw an engine and traction light as well as, of all things, an empty washer bottle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the advice, problem solved... it was a faulty TPS sensor... received a new one from Gotham cycles, remove the old, install the new, reset TPS.. bike runs great thank you....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thank you all for the advice, problem solved... it was a faulty TPS sensor... received a new one from Gotham cycles, remove the old, install the new, reset TPS.. bike runs great thank you....
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was - might help somebody with the same symptoms.

Cheers!
Michael.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts