Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the UPS box waiting for me when I got home today after ordering it Friday. After reading everything it only took a few minutes to install. Easiest thing in the world! I bought the SD197 kit that did NOT requiring drilling the triple clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
How come yours isn't centered like mine like the directions said to do? Does that help so it's not so close to the tank when all the way to the right?
Yeah, the instructions call for centering the bracket on the damper body. But after test fitting all the parts I realized that the instructions had the fork clamp pointing too far to the right. I took a look at the reference photos in Dan Kyle's website and decided that off setting the damper in the bracket was a better way to go. I've got plenty of space between the tank and damper on both sides...stop to stop.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the instructions call for centering the bracket on the damper body. But after test fitting all the parts I realized that the instructions had the fork clamp pointing too far to the right. I took a look at the reference photos in Dan Kyle's website and decided that off setting the damper in the bracket was a better way to go. I've got plenty of space between the tank and damper on both sides...stop to stop.
Hmm, I'll have to take another look before I ride. It seemed find to me.

Looking at the pic on Kyle Racing it would seem to me that turned all the way to the left it would be at the end of it's travel and Ohlins warned against getting that close, not only did Ohlins says to center the damper body in the mount but to also adjust the fork clamp so that the travel was even in both directions.

I guess I just wanted to play it safe but it does make more sense for the fork clamp to not be at such an angle like mine ended up being after doing what Ohlins said to. Tough call, I'm sure Dan knows his stuff but this kit unlike his other was designed by Ohlins and I have to believe they said what they did for very good reason so I guess I'm kinda torn right now lol.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My damper travel is even on both sides. I found a perfect balance to the right and left. It's not over extending by any means, and in my case I didn't even have to adjust the steering stops.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here are quotes from the Ohlins SD197 mounting instructions.

"Install the Öhlins steering damper centered to the bracket assembly."

"Adjust the fork leg clamp bracket so that the steering damper uses similar stroke lengths both ways."

Reading the thread, I am not seeing what the problem is.
Is the damper or part of the mount kit very close to the fuel tank or some other part??

Can you mount the damper anywhere in the damper clamp, Yes you can.
If that allows more clearance and you prefer more clearance, sure do it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it boils down to that since the fork clamp joint is so close to my tank that it IS ok to move the damper body towards the left off center from the damper bracket (counter to the Ohlins instructions) because I can rotate the fork clamp just as must to offset this to the travel of the damper is still matched in both directions which was Ohlins goal anyway. In addition, I think this will only help the geometry as the fork bracket will be more parralell with the frame putting less stress on the damper mounting bracket by the ignition.

Thanks! I'll be making the slight adjustments tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts