Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Been having a big problem with my 848 where I have been riding then without warning it will lose power like it is going to stall and starts carrying on. If you crank the accelerator on it just hesitates more and sometimes backfires. When it does it there is no engine warning light or error code produced.

It has been to Ducati Gold Coast 3 times now and they have been unable to fix the issue or even repeat it (so they say) even after paying 800 bucks for them to go through the bike and havent found an issue. The last time it was there they did find an error in the computer (which didnt show as a warning light) saying the crank sensor was stuffed, so it was replaced and it still has the issue. The fuel has been pulled out of it and there is no water in it (i have had that problem before).

I got it back thinking it was fixed (my father in law test rode it without issue i would never sell a stuffed bike), and a guy came to test ride it to buy and the problem surfaced again......

Can you think of anything they can look at or do to it before i lose my sh!t? I am going to go absolutely ape sh!t at the dealer tomorrow for wasting my time and want to have something to tell him may be the issue...

I would take it somewhere else but there is nowhere on the Gold Coast close enough to ride it to that i know of and I sure as sh!t cant ride on the freeway....

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You need to give the techies on the forum more info so they can help. For instance, when it backfires on the throttle does it then quit, or does it come back on power? When does this hesitation seem to happen most often? From a cold start? Once warmed up? Once the engine gets hot?

Have you made any mods, or are the pipes and ECU/mapping stock?

Does your 848 have DTC? If so, does this happen with DTC off?

I'm no techie, but I am guessing the first thing you'll be told to check is the setting on the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If that's correct, then perhaps check for rectifier/voltage reg condition (and relevant wires) and the state of your battery. Then check the wiring to the fuel pump and check the pump itself. You should also check to make sure your side stand cutoff switch is in good order and isn't inadvertently sending a 'cutoff' signal to your ECU.

My guess is the TPS needs fettling ... But when the guys on this forum who really know their stuff sign on, they may give better advice. Just be sure to give them more facts to go on. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey mate, thanks for the reply.

Its a 2008 848, so no DTC. It has had Akra slip ons for the last 3 years with absolutely no issues, no race ecu or air filter fitted. All mapping etc is stock and has never been an issue.

When riding it just loses power like the ignition is breaking down, most of the time it will keep running but just carry on and jerk badly. It has died on me a few times. It happens about 10 or 15 mins after riding when the bike is up to temperature. Its not running any hotter than normal when doing it.

TPS was reset at the start and has been done a few times since with no benefits. All voltages etc are fine and a new battery has been installed just incase.

Someone has just recommended that it could be poor grounding on the main earth or ECU so i will have a look at that tonight. But any other thoughts would be much appreciated as i have a buyer lined up and just need the issue fixed!!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hi,

I race a 2008 848 and have had her apart many times, so ... let's do the easy stuff first.

Questions: How many miles do you have on her? Have the plugs ever been changed? Can you borrow a couple of coils to try? Have you checked all the grounds at the bottom of the electrical box (lower left) for corrosion? Note: the aft ECU mounting bolt has a wire running to it that is essential - make sure it is clean.

Have you pulled the fuel pump and checked the fuel screen for contamination? If contamination at the screen, I would change the fuel filter. Have you ever pulled the injectors for cleaning?

Umm, ... I'll think of some more stuff, ...

good luck,
j

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has 18000kms on her. Plugs were changed at 12000ks and were recently
checked and were in good condition. I will ask if they have checked the coils. The ground was replaced, but not sure about the ecu ground so will check when it goes back. Fuel pump was pulled out and checked, fuel screen is like new.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,193 Posts
Sounds like a relay to me.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
She has 18000kms on her. Plugs were changed at 12000ks and were recently
checked and were in good condition. I will ask if they have checked the coils. The ground was replaced, but not sure about the ecu ground so will check when it goes back. Fuel pump was pulled out and checked, fuel screen is like new.

Thanks for your help :)
Hmmmm, ..... this is not normal to state the obvious, ... but the problem is intermittent which makes it harder to solve.

As always, it is either fuel or spark.

However, you do live in a place where green mong grows everywhere. Corrosion, I'm thinking?

Question: When you changed the battery did you replace it with a stock Yuasa?

Reason I ask is because I replaced the Yuasa in my race bike with a Shoria and she bogged big time between 6000 RPM and 75000 RPM - put the old batt in and she ran fine.

·
8,193 Posts
#17...

·
8,193 Posts
Injection relay #17

1 - 14 of 14 Posts