Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently just purchased my first duc and it was the 848 hayden---the bike only has about 500 miles on it so i really just started rolling on the throttle hard---i noticed that at 10,000 rpms the bike seems to hit a wall then if i back out of the throttle and get back in it it will go past 10k to red line---i was just wondering if anyone knew what the issue was at 10k---i tried it over and over and it does it every single time--thanks in advance--vince

·
Registered
560 Posts
Is this a joke? I usually wait for at least 600 miles on my new bikes to repeatedly run into the rev limiter!

Mark

·
Registered
227 Posts
Maybe you are running into the soft limiter. It gets reset at the 600 mile service. BTW, I don't think you are supposed to go past 6k for the first 600 miles and not past 7k until you reach 1500 miles. The other break in stories are kind of BS. Will you kill the motor? No. Will it run slower because you didn't rev it higher, sooner. No. Mine runs great with the recommended break in. Plus I get the benefit of not leaving myself open to any warranty issue. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
No idea but shift at 9k or less unless you hate your bike and are trying to kill it.

Someone let me know if I'm wrong but isn't 10,900 the red line?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely the only way to break in a car or a bike. I have done this on 7 audi quattros including my latest S4 and 8 motorcycles including my latest 848. I have NEVER burned any oil or had any adverse effects from this. I actually attribute their continued excellent performance to the Motoman break in process.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
It's "broke in" before it even leaves the factory as each and every Ducati is dry run....meaning it's turned over on a dyno without spark......you can view it at "On the Throttle" tour of the Ducati factory...

The 600 mile "break in" is for the gears & transmission parts....You wont hurt the bike by "red lining" it, but I would take it easy and get a few miles on it before beating the shit out of it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless you have had the thing tuned on a dyno, the power will begin to fall off, it will not pull hard all the way to redline. Twins are usually like that, that is why you short shift them.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Unless you have had the thing tuned on a dyno, the power will begin to fall off, it will not pull hard all the way to redline. Twins are usually like that, that is why you short shift them.

Not true at all......all your power is in at about 500-600 rpms before redline....hence no need NOT to redline the thing as it does no good! As for falling off...maybe when theres a bunch of miles on it or you smoke something internal, otherwise you wont start loosing power until it has a thousands of miles on it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's "broke in" before it even leaves the factory as each and every Ducati is dry run....meaning it's turned over on a dyno without spark......you can view it at "On the Throttle" tour of the Ducati factory...

The 600 mile "break in" is for the gears & transmission parts....You wont hurt the bike by "red lining" it, but I would take it easy and get a few miles on it before beating the shit out of it!
Do you have a link by chance to watch? I did a search on their site and couldn't seem to find it :crazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts