Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a brand new 848. This was my second time riding it. First time being straight from the dealer home. So the night started off fine. only 20 miles on it at first. Road about 20 more miles and the reserve light comes on. Cool, so I cruise to get some gas and meanwhile the bike just dies in neutral at the stop light. Strange but I made it to the gas station and it died again right at the pump in idle and neutral. Fill it up with premium just cause it was its first fill up and then after that it idles low. very low around 1000-1300. Isn't normally at 1400-1450? So anyway it idles low and varies from 1000-1400. It eventually gets to 1400-1450 after about two minutes of holding the throttle at 1450 manually. What the heck is going on. I only have 50 miles on it. and I have been keeping to the slow break in to the T (below 5000 rpm). I plan on calling the dealer first thing in the morning but am embarrassed to ride it now that it will just die at the light. Anyone else experience this? Is there a self idle adjustment like most Jap bikes. This is my first Duc so all this is new to me.

Please, any suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so took the bike to the dealer this morning and the bike ran just fine...still they checked it out and said they unhooked the charcoal canister that is used in California emissions and said that could possibly be the cause from fuel overfilling or expansion. So I guess all the 2010 models have the California emissions now. So thus far no problems but yet its only been 20 miles later so we'll see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just as a thought...you don't have a full exhaust system on it do you? the reason I ask is because my hypermotard (I know, completely different animal!) was doing pretty much the same thing after I got a full race kit on it, it turned out I was running WAY to rich. But if your bike is stock then I guess I'm kind of just wasting time. another thing did you let the bike warm up before the ride?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
theres a more 848-1198specific forum called ducati superbikes .com that has a whole forum focused on the stalling issues of your bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it done done it again...Now I am getting frustrated...brand new 2010 848 and the POS wont even hold an idle and stalls out when you let the gas out. This shit is stupid. Don't even want to ride the damn thing. Dealer says to bring it in again. So yet another few hours out of my day. What is the deal? What the heck would cause the idle to be normal (1400-1450) one way on a ride then all jacked up on the way home (1000-1150)? This time before the gas station and I only put in 1.5 gallons for the dumb fear of over filling it.

Not a big Ducati fan right now. Never had this problem on a GSXR or R6 or any Japanese bike.:mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So scheduled to pick up the 848 from the dealers today. He said it was due to putting on an aftermarket slip on, which didn't make any sense to me since the slips are the aft of every exhaust sensor on the bike, but I am new at owning a duc.

Anyhow, hope this fixes the problem and it'll idle normal from now on.

Never had these problems on a Rice Rocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So turns out the throttle bodies needed adjusting. I guess even if you throw a slip on pipe on it, you need to adjust it. So that should be the fix. Cost about $78 but at thats on me since I wanted the aftermarket exhaust. Haven't rode it since but next time this problem comes up, it should be covered now.

So lesson learned, even with a slip on, get the bike adjusted to match it. Was still so much easier on a rice rocket.

·
Registered
559 Posts
So turns out the throttle bodies needed adjusting. I guess even if you throw a slip on pipe on it, you need to adjust it. So that should be the fix. Cost about $78 but at thats on me since I wanted the aftermarket exhaust. Haven't rode it since but next time this problem comes up, it should be covered now.

So lesson learned, even with a slip on, get the bike adjusted to match it. Was still so much easier on a rice rocket.
Great to know! I plan on adding a full system with PC over the winter...

What I don't get is how does a mechanical adjustment take the place of something that should have been in the tune?!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Did the dealership install the exhaust? Not that it would make them liable, but a dealership installing the exhaust should have known that the fuelling would have to be adjusted. In fact, a good dealership would have informed you of this prior to the purchase/installation; and a REALLY good dealership would install and make the appropriate adjustments for free, or at a discounted rate if purchased with a new bike. That's been my experience, anyhow ;)

In any case $78 sounds fair for the labor to correct the issue. Sorry to hear of your woes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the install of the exhaust myself, didn't think it would be so cosmic in the long run. Knowing now I would have had the dealership do it. But I have never owned an Italian bike before. On my past rice rockets it was never an issue. Just slap it on, adjust the idle. Map it with a PowerCommander and your done. Guess I gots lots to learn about this Duc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts