Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about many times over and over but I keep hearing mixed answers. I just ordered 14T/42T sprockets for my 848 EVO per the recommendation from a vendor. After doing some research I have mixed feelings about my decision, seems like too aggressive of a jump from the stock 15/39. I’ve also heard that 14T is not good for the bike due to the chain hitting the swing arm. Should I have gone 15/40-42 instead or maybe 14/40? My primary use of the bike is commuting and street with an occasional track day like once or twice a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know this has been talked about many times over and over but I keep hearing mixed answers. I just ordered 14T/42T sprockets for my 848 EVO per the recommendation from a vendor. After doing some research I have mixed feelings about my decision, seems like too aggressive of a jump from the stock 15/39. I’ve also heard that 14T is not good for the bike due to the chain hitting the swing arm. Should I have gone 15/40-42 instead or maybe 14/40? My primary use of the bike is commuting and street with an occasional track day like once or twice a year.

I run 14 41/42/43 depending on the track and never had the chain hit the swing arm.

Reactions: Pulshion

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run 14 41/42/43 depending on the track and never had the chain hit the swing arm.

I presume you like 14/42 then. How does it compare to stock gearing? Advise for the street?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Probably to much for the street. The 14 alone will be a big improvement imo for daily riding.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
http://gearingcommander.com/

Takes a little to figure out how to use it if you've never seen it before. Have fun.

Personally, I would have gone with 15/43.

I’ve seen it already.
May I ask why?
Is there a difference (pro/con) to going down one in the front and staying 39 in the rear vs 15 and rear going up to match the 14 setup (15/42 or so)?

·
Registered
158 Posts
A 43 rear you’d probably have to change your chain length.

Reactions: Pulshion

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 43 rear you’d probably have to change your chain length.

I bought a 120 link chain so will be adjusted during installation. 14/39-42 is fine with the same chain? 98 link is OEM I believe.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,204 Posts
I’ve seen it already.
May I ask why?
Is there a difference (pro/con) to going down one in the front and staying 39 in the rear vs 15 and rear going up to match the 14 setup (15/42 or so)?

I would rather keep the 15 front so that the chain isn't going around a smaller radius. Less bend. Same goes for the rear. The kicker is that with the 15/43 combo instead of the somewhat similar 14/42, it has the advantage of not hitting the same places on the chain and sprockets as often which should mean longer life in theory. The required chain length is the same according to gearing commander.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I have just put new chain and sprockets on changing from 14/39 to 15/42 which I think will be fine for road and track 👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts