Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the forks, brakes and bars off an 848 will be able to retro to a 93 900ss? I know the triples will have to be changed or machined but will the the set up work with my stock front wheel or will I need the 848 front wheel as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
your stock front wheel won't work without a good deal of modification. if i'm not mistaken the axles are two different sizes, and i know the rotors have different offset, and maybe different diameter as well.

however, you have a couple routs of attack, if you get entire 848 front end (including wheel) it could be made to work. could be able to make everything from the fork legs down work with some machining and/or spacers for the tubes to fit in the SS triples.

it would be a PITA to make the OEM speedo work.

as far as the 848 steerer stem, it probably will not go right on, (probably different length and dia.) if the length is OK, it could just need different bearings, OR it could require having an entire new stem machined. the main variables are gonna be bearing ID/OD, and stem length and diameter.

hope this helps you make a decision. with enough resources anything is possible...

same goes for 916 front end....

·
Registered
231 Posts
i'm pretty sure with some more thorough searching you'll find threads where 916 era SBK frontends have been made to fit SS bikes....even found a thread where a guy put new-ish GSXR showas on his monster...

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Lot of time and work! I've seen the GSXR 1000 frt on a 99 SS looks good in Gold forks. Can always change out what you have for better springs and things............

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the forks, brakes and bars off an 848 will be able to retro to a 93 900ss? I know the triples will have to be changed or machined but will the the set up work with my stock front wheel or will I need the 848 front wheel as well? Thanks!
I figured I can get the entire front end, wheel included. Then just work in the triple clamp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lot of time and work! I've seen the GSXR 1000 frt on a 99 SS looks good in Gold forks. Can always change out what you have for better springs and things............
That was me! Yes... it can be done. And yes... it's a lot of work. I helped another guy out do the same mod to his Monster too. The results are nice, but yeah its not a drop-in mod by any stretch.

That said, if you're interested, pm me, and I can shoot you my notes/drawings/etc. on the subject.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I was at Ferracci's today to drop off my SS after my trip to the Dragon (oil, valves etc). Did some measuring on the 848 front end and it looks like the forks are of the 53mm variety, which means that clamps should be readily available. So as long as I can get the front wheel and axel, it should be a relatively painless bolt on process.....No?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
First, the SS:

You need to open the uppers to 53, the lower needs to be shimmed to 50, basically like the SBK triples for the Showa for the Showa. The big change is the axle diameter being a 25mm. You need to run a 5 spoke 996 wheel or newer, but the you have to slot the spacer to fit or use the speedo on the axle. The rotors must be the 15mm offset to fit.

The 916, update the wheel and space accordingly.

I would use the xx9 or 848/1x98 front wheel and rotors.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
isn't it easier to just go race-tech or the like? I understand wanting to swap something like my fzr's forks that aren't supported in the aftermarket, and were never really adjustable in the first place, but hell, even if this is a cr were talking about, swappin tubes from a sp and race-tech internals has got to be easier/cheaper.

·
Registered
231 Posts
depends how resourceful you are and if you can and are willing to do the work yourself. racetech stuff is nice, but also spendy to buy and to install (again, this is if yoiu're unable to DIY) especially racetech (or similar) is the only way to go if you're really racing (not trackdays) where there are rules concerning what your bike came with.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
isn't it easier to just go race-tech or the like? I understand wanting to swap something like my fzr's forks that aren't supported in the aftermarket, and were never really adjustable in the first place, but hell, even if this is a cr were talking about, swappin tubes from a sp and race-tech internals has got to be easier/cheaper.
Already have the RT gold valves front and rear, resprung too. I'm looking for a stiffer (less flexy) front end with better braking.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ever noticed if you have loose ball or tapered roller steering bearings?

that makes a bit of a difference in "feel".

you know this deep down inside already, and i'm not trying to sway either way, but there is a point of diminishing returns trying to get a stiffer front end feel on an SS frame..

meaning, the stiffness of your front end is a "total package" deal....and let me preface that i'm not saying the 848/1098 front end *isn't* stiffer than your SS tubes/clamps/axles/wheel. it is, by a few %age points at least. but look at how braced and gusseted the frame is of *any SBK* compared to your SS frame. SBK frames have a 5th point of contact from the neck to the rest of the frame, as well as many other extra braces throughout.

that's probably why i've seen more than my fair share of SS/M-non-SBK frames with the forks snapped off from even mild-ish (rider walks away) collisions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You might look into the Nichols motor mount bolts too... no first hand experience on my part but I've heard they help combat flex in the SS frame pretty well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts