Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi racetrack enthusiasts,

I have an 848 Showa fork in my basement which is going into my race bike.
I was wondering what you guys recommended for tuning the forks?

I read about Öhlins Fork Piston Kits and Andreani Piston Kits, but couldn´t find much valuable feedback on those.

What´s the way to go? Springs seem to be good, fork oil will be standard Öhlins 19 cst (7.5 grade). The bike is a track/race only 2v in a 916 chassis.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you have time to type more than 3 words on the topic?
ok, please note im, "very drunk" (now)

but take your forks to a good tuner, they will

dissassemble them and port/machine them to race spec;
add new oil
refresh all parts
new springs
new valves
sleeves
basic set up (for your height/weight/ability)

costs a bomb just bye Öhlins

i hope this exsplains my "three" words!! :D

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, a cartridge is more expensive. Richard and pjonte, do you think the piston kit itself is a worthwhile upgrade or is it wasted money for a race only bike and one should throw the money at a full cartridge kit? 25mm or 30mm Öhlins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 1098 has 25mm cartridges. They are by far the best thing I've experienced. Definitely worth the $$$, particularly if you found a used set.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Came across an other thread at the UK Ducati forum about KTech 25mm valves: Improving Ohlins forks

Looks like it made a huge differences in handling. Maybe I will do this upgrade this winter with Öhlins valves. The Öhlins valves are priced about the same as the KTech ones (350 euros a set).

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Re-valve is good for the money it will be and improve over the stock. The next step would be the 30MM cartridge Ohlins does not make the 25MM anymore unless you buy it used.

I have the 30MM cartridge in my 1098 it's money well spent. 30MM cartridge with in the Showa will out performan the factory S model Ohlins.

If you look around might find a good set of used Ohlins forks for the price of the cartridge. Don't buy the factory Ohlins that came on the S model buy the aftermarket Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Giggity, Dennie, N.E S4, thanks for taking the time to leaving a reply.

A 25mm Cartridge is out of question I think. They´re reached the end of development and all that is seen on the racetrack this year and last year was and is about the 30mm cartridges.

Re-valve is good for the money it will be and improve over the stock. The next step would be the 30MM cartridge
Thanks for that. I would rather put money towards a 30mm cartridge then, because why waste 300€ on a Fork Piston Kit and then invest again in a cartridge? Would you invest in a new Road and Track Öhlins fork instead of a cartridge?

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Giggity, Dennie, N.E S4, thanks for taking the time to leaving a reply.

A 25mm Cartridge is out of question I think. They´re reached the end of development and all that is seen on the racetrack this year and last year was and is about the 30mm cartridges.

Thanks for that. I would rather put money towards a 30mm cartridge then, because why waste 300€ on a Fork Piston Kit and then invest again in a cartridge? Would you invest in a new Road and Track Öhlins fork instead of a cartridge?
The cartridge is complete with pistons. If you can find a used R/T forks for the right price go for it. I don't recommend the Ohlins that come on the S model because you'll end up re-valving that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
hello again, sober tonight, "sorry" lol

if you want this for a track bike/race bike spend the money on some Öhlins

when you start to tot -up all the costs you might as well spend on the Öhlins forks and know that they work from the get go, or spend your money trying to get some showas to work as well as a set of Öhlins and be behind others out on track.

at least with Öhlins you know they are factory tested and work!!:D

with the showas some bloke will have to re-work the forks with all the springs ect, somtimes with varying results, wyh spend all the £££/$$$ and risk the craftmanship!!

for me its a no brainer:eek:

anyhoo thats my take on it but i would stick with the showas save the money, save for a further month, bye the Öhlins and reap the reward!!!:think:

i hope i have redeemed myself lol

whatever you choose i wish you well

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, I've got Ohlins on my 1098S track bike and it was not ready for primetime.(Advanced level trackdays) Put 25mm cartridge in and now it is..I guess its 30mm now.:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts