Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the 43mm Showas on my 2012 848 Evo Corse SE and the bike was much abused and neglected before I got it so want to do a thorough cleaning before re-assembly. I'm a little spooked that I can't find a youtube video that shows a cartridge disassembly—most don't even remove the cartridge. I'm having enough trouble finding fork bushings (RaceTech said they don't have a kit for my bike but if I measure them they can probably match some up-not very reassuring) so I can just imagine the problems I'd have if I needed shim stack parts because I've never seen any shim stack parts for sale anywhere for any application.

Loving the forum-thank you all,

Stephan

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm rebuilding the 43mm Showas on my 2012 848 Evo Corse SE and the bike was much abused and neglected before I got it so want to do a thorough cleaning before re-assembly. I'm a little spooked that I can't find a youtube video that shows a cartridge disassembly—most don't even remove the cartridge. I'm having enough trouble finding fork bushings (RaceTech said they don't have a kit for my bike but if I measure them they can probably match some up-not very reassuring) so I can just imagine the problems I'd have if I needed shim stack parts because I've never seen any shim stack parts for sale anywhere for any application.

Loving the forum-thank you all,

Stephan
You mean something like these:

Took about 2min googling..
People don't usually take cartridges to pieces, just clean them. Are you sure you want to disassemble them? If you want to change suspension to better suit you, maybe change valving and springs?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that on the Ktech website immediately also. The dimensions are off so I assumed it was for the wrong fork. The width dimension is off by 0.81mm and while that might be OK the other dimension they list doesn’t match my OD or ID.

Everything else has a thin metallic paste coating so why not clean the inside of the cartridge tube as well? Is there a seal or any o-rings in there that I need to have on-hand?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
i'd put some shellite in them and pump it around and let it drain out. that tends to clean them out. getting the compression valve out the bottom is the issue, usually you need to drill out stampings that hold the valve in and i've seen that done poorly before.

you can pull the cartridge out and pump shellite through it on the bench, but you might get covered in it. you can scrape the sludge out of the bottom of the fork if you pull the cartridge.

pull it all apart, cover yourself in old fork oil and solvent and you'll find a better plan for next time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the insight Belter. Now I’ve got an idea of what I’m going to find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts