Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surfing through CL ads this evening, I happened across a black 848 for sale at Mach 1 in Vallejo.

The low price caught my eye, so I flicked through the pics which is when I was prompted to post by this:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

I’ve seen some garbage before but this ranks right up there. How does that not get in one’s way when turning the bars?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one hoopty ass repair job. I wonder what other dumb shittery the owner's done on that bike?

Not no but Fack NO.
I know, right? Mach 1 is asking $5K and mileage is fairly low, under 15K. Shame. I saw that jank a$$ bodge job and though the same. What else on that bike got similar treatment?

No way I’d be looking to buy that. That’s a run away from it kinda sale.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Why wouldn't the shop fix that before putting it on the sales floor?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That is a good sign that the owner did not do a lot of work on the bike. If his work sticks out like a sore thumb you will not find any surprises ;)

t_bare

Reactions: DarrellF

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nice. It reminds me of some of the repair jobs on an R6 I owned a few years ago. JB Weld can't fix everything.

·
Registered
266 Posts
OK, I'll take the alternative viewpoint: The dealer made a point of posting that picture and pics of the road rash on the fairings, which means that the dealer is not trying to hide the bad news. I'm guessing that the owner dumped the bike, wanted to attach the mirror for whatever reason, and had no suitable fastener, so he made a quick and dirty fix with what he had. I wouldn't let that deter me if I were otherwise interested in the bike. But I would do as I do with any used bike I'm interested in and take a very careful look at everything from nose to tail.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Shoot the whole thing with some black rust-oleum and it’s good to go! 😜

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why wouldn't the shop fix that before putting it on the sales floor?
It is entirely possible that it is there on consignment. I don’t know for sure, it’s been a few years since I’ve been by Mach 1 for anything…..hell, it’s been years since I’ve been to Vallejo for anything.

Last time I went there, I wanna say there were bikes there on consignment. As the dealership doesn’t own the bike, it makes sense they do no work to it.

Also, I think if the bike is not there on consignment then it speaks volumes about the dealership’s honesty that they’d put a pic showing that on CL.

The rashed fairings and all tell enough of a story that anyone can see why the price so low.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It is entirely possible that it is there on consignment. I don’t know for sure, it’s been a few years since I’ve been by Mach 1 for anything…..hell, it’s been years since I’ve been to Vallejo for anything.

Last time I went there, I wanna say there were bikes there on consignment. As the dealership doesn’t own the bike, it makes sense they do no work to it.

Also, I think if the bike is not there on consignment then it speaks volumes about the dealership’s honesty that they’d put a pic showing that on CL.

The rashed fairings and all tell enough of a story that anyone can see why the price so low.
I'd bet most all of us have rashed up some fairings in our riding careers.
Also willing to bet nearly none of us have repaired bikes in the manner that was shown above. It just reeks of "I don't give a flying fvck about this bike".

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

+1 I have been to Mach 1 twice now to look at used bikes they were both on consignment
and they both had issues though not as many as this one.

·
Registered
99' 996
649 Posts
I would buy this.... After it sits there for the next 3 months and the owner decides to dump it and take $3. If it has a clean title. This is a perfect candidate to fix it, do the maintenance that likely hasnt been done, then just rack up the miles and not worry about the value of it down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
Perfect project for a track motorcycle

·
Registered
134 Posts
I guess you do what you can with what you have.... but geez.... it's pretty fugly.
Kudo's to them for the full disclosure though. Would hate to drive there to find that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts