Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of the old threads about dry swapping an 848, and the idea of swapping a 1x98 clutch in always comes up, but I've never seen it done. Just going off the parts diagrams it looks like you'd need a clutch rod, clutch assm, 1100 primary gearset, clutch cover, trans input shaft, plus the small bits, which should all be doable used for ~$500. Anyone done it or know anything about doing it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Madman actually did it...

Dry clutches are indeed proper- keep the project photos coming.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally too cold to ride, got it inside and torn down. Had to shell out for the swingarm pivot tool to get the bastard out. Gonna be a bummer if I get it back together then have to wait till march to test anything.

Clutch side wasn't bad to get off, primary gear was a pain but a rented 2-ton puller did fine. Only special tool was the driver for the primary nut. If anyone's wondering, you cant just swap in the bigger dry clutch primary gear, the wet and dry primary's are different sizes, so you need a complete pair.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm doing the conversion on my hyper 821. The biggest hurdle is the clutch hub nut. You need a seal around the push rod. Noone sells just the nut(kbike , DP or the other one I cant recall to name of). Kbike only uses a special sealing nut, DP uses a sealing nut and a oil block off bolt that gos under the front sprocket. I have all parts collected except the nut(which I will probably have to make) and spent around $500 on everything. Normally oil flows through that hub shaft where the pushrod gos and coils the clutch through the center.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The biggest hurdle is the clutch hub nut. You need a seal around the push rod.
I wont need to make a nut because I'm using a 1098 input shaft, which has the seals and bearing already.

Alternator cover off, cylinders off, case split

848 vs 1098 shaft. Repopulated 1098 with 848 gears, dropped it in. Should be the last of the disassembly, as the manual says

Forgot to order head gaskets, so its just cleaning, 3bonding, and waiting for the next few days. Couldn't stop myself from dry fitting though

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good on ya mate, hats off to you for undertaking this project!
I love this, cuz really, dry clutches make no sense ( on the street ), and to take a bike with a wet clutch and go through all this effort makes even less sense...
But dry clutches are just so freakin' cool, and they're part of the reason I love Ducatis, and part of the reason I love Ducatis is they don't make as much sense as something like a Honda, and I say "long live slightly odd ball Ducs with the wacky dry clutch". Together they just make life more entertaining all around!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good on ya mate, hats off to you for undertaking this project!
I love this, cuz really, dry clutches make no sense ( on the street ), and to take a bike with a wet clutch and go through all this effort makes even less sense...
But dry clutches are just so freakin' cool, and they're part of the reason I love Ducatis, and part of the reason I love Ducatis is they don't make as much sense as something like a Honda, and I say "long live slightly odd ball Ducs with the wacky dry clutch". Together they just make life more entertaining all around!
I think we may be the same person.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious man, with all this work why not just buy a 1098/1198?
Already have an 848 , couldn't really justify selling and upgrading just for a clutch. Plus I like working on bikes probably a bit too much.

cuz really, dry clutches make no sense ( on the street ), and to take a bike with a wet clutch and go through all this effort makes even less sense...
Thats the best part

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
You'll soon get tired of people hearing the chatter, chatter, clack, clack, sing, sing and asking if your motors broke.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You'll soon get tired of people hearing the chatter, chatter, clack, clack, sing, sing and asking if your motors broke.
... just reply with "yup, broke as! best back away, it's likely to turn into a thousand pieces any second now!!"

I had a 4x4 with a header leak once. People at a stop light would always advise me that I had a bad lifter or needed a valve adjustment. I'd just say "nah, it's just making that noise cuz I don't put any oil in it .. that's what dry sump means, right?". Eyeballs would bug out so far you'd think they were gonna pop out of their heads.

:giggle:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
New gaskets came in so I could get the engine back together. Small buffing wheel and some carb clean worked great to remove the old liquid gasket, new stuff went on well (knock on wood). Switched the primary nut from the castle style to the hex and lock washer style, saves me from ever needing that dumb tool again. Got the clutch in, not sure how much life these disks have left, might replace before summer.

Checked squeeze without the base gaskets first, was low so with it is. Pistons, cylinders and heads went on, threw some belts on to cycle the engine through and make sure everything was clearing. Ground up an oil block screw, thanks for the pictures araitim, not pretty but should work and if not its accessible from outside anyway. Now just gotta do the easiest desmo service I'm ever gonna get and she can go back in.

Shoutout to ducati for making the mark on the timing gear damn near invisible compared to the old ones and for making the head nuts a bitch to torque. I'm sure there's a picture of the crowfoot I ended up using in a handbook somewhere behind a big red circle with a line through it.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
generally these cranks are overshimmed. just would have been interesting to see if you took anything out of it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I put a dry clutch in my Diavel (EVR Slipper) just because i love dry clutches but no way was i splitting the cases to replace the input shaft!
I had machined a press in seal carrier that seals the pushrod and it works perfect, yes i get people looking at it confused because they hear a dry clutch, which it's not supposed to have.... which to me makes it worth every penny!
IMG_1663.jpeg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Can I see a pic of the pressed in carrier seal assembly please?
I didn't take any pics during assembly, sorry bud, but it's an interference fit that carries 2x std pushrod seals that taps into the end of the wet clutch input shaft, had a local machine shop turn it up for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts