Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I´ve decided to buy in the near future a 848 Dark to join my all time favourite 2005 - 999. In fact I was all in favour for 1000 bikes so never looked seriously for the reliability history on this model, so at this point I would like to have your opinion on quality and reliability.
I did a test on a 848 and the power was more than enough for road use and probably very fun on track. Later I would decide wich bike will go for track use only. Anyone with this two bikes let me know your feel on the track.
I´ll put only two extras: steering damper and exhaust. The exhaust ill probably be SPARK!:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is that vid. really an 848 w/dry clutch?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That thing is schweet!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Dark looks really great to me. I just bought a 848 that i will use only on the track. I use to have a 749 all race out for the track but I have to say the 848 out of the dealer impressed me. The 848 is lighter and faster.
have fun

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Dark looks really great to me. I just bought a 848 that i will use only on the track. I use to have a 749 all race out for the track but I have to say the 848 out of the dealer impressed me. The 848 is lighter and faster.
have fun
I can´t wait to put the 848 on the track, it was so fun on the mountain where I did the test drive:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A week ago a friend of mine (Jap oriented) told me Yamaha was doing a test drive on the new R1 and asked me if I wanted to go with him. He tried first and told me that in 20 mts. he wasn´t able to addapt to the motor and that he prefered tho"old" tradicional engine. Well 1 hour later it was my turn and to be honest I loved the bike motor, very good leaving the corners and full of power on straight line and the sound it reminds me somehow a Vtwin.
I guess Yamaha is now more oriented to European riding style and trying not to loose power.
At this moment I´m now considering to buy the dark R1 for the track instead of the dark 848. Where I live the price is almost the same and I think maintenance will be more "friendly". It´s a first for me on Jap bikes:eek:
Any of you have done this move?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I guess Yamaha is now more oriented to European riding style and trying not to loose power.
The new Cross plane crank design gives more low end TQ vs the traditional flat plane design. It helps for low end out of corners and probably helps big time with tire wear as traditional 4's are hard on tires due to 180* power pulses....Twins and Cross plane 4's fire every 90*. For racing it's probably gonna be a superb choice as you have the beneifts of a twin and some of the inline 4...although i think it needs a counter balancer, so it may be slightly heavier too. The flat plane design is naturally balanced and can probably deliver more at high RPM's still i would imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CILvXMartA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yzhuYpt0s&feature=related

They sound like a v4. cool motor/sound, ugly ass bike.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new Cross plane crank design gives more low end TQ vs the traditional flat plane design. It helps for low end out of corners and probably helps big time with tire wear as traditional 4's are hard on tires due to 180* power pulses....Twins and Cross plane 4's fire every 90*. For racing it's probably gonna be a superb choice as you have the beneifts of a twin and some of the inline 4...although i think it needs a counter balancer, so it may be slightly heavier too. The flat plane design is naturally balanced and can probably deliver more at high RPM's still i would imagine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CILvXMartA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3yzhuYpt0s&feature=related

They sound like a v4. cool motor/sound, ugly ass bike.:D
Interesting videos. I confess that I was surprised with the good feel I had on this bike compared to my friend experience, I guess this bike is easier for a regular twin biker than the tadicional 4 Jap.
Yes, the rear is a bit ugly compared to the nice "fat" front look. I guess now style is the only thing missing in Jap bikes. They are learning fast...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yamaha really is an innovator... all inline 4 bikes have fired the same way since the late 60's on. and they are trying to change the game.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It´s curious that MCN compared the factory RSV4 against the R1 and the main conclusion is that the R1 is a more friendly bike compared to RSV4 factory more oriented to the track. Anyway I´ve already considered 848/1198for the track but now I feel that the R1 is the best value for the money...and in current times we do have to consider this point!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiUsvQg1gs0

·
Registered
923 Posts
well, how much do you wanna spend. parts will be more money when the Italian bike goes down. If you have alot of disposable income i would go RSV/4:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, how much do you wanna spend. parts will be more money when the Italian bike goes down. If you have alot of disposable income i would go RSV/4:D
The wife opinion is to buy the "cheapest" second bike, of course I´ll use the extra for exhaust and better suspension.
I saw a RSV4 and in my case it was almost the same price as 1198S, and in this case it would be 1198s all the way!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts