Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know that superbikes are not made for comfort, but if you are going to ride it a lot, you want it to be tolerable, right?

Anyway, I have an '06 GSXR750 now, with a Yoshi exhaust, Bazzaz system, Gilles rearsets, Elka race shock, Traxxion Dynamics AK20 forks, SS braided lines, custom fuel map(133HP), etc... And the bike is comfortable all day long.

I have a chance to get one of the Hayden Edition 848's, and I will sell or trade the Suzuki to get it. This will be my 5th Duc. The S2R and S4RS were ok as far as comfort goes, and I actually enjoyed the 999s and of course the Hypermotard was very comfy. Where does the 848 fall into that lineup? Am I going to regret giving up the GSXR after a week when my back and wrists are killing me? haha

I am 6'4" and 235 pounds. Any guys my size riding the 848? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've owned 3 GSXR's as well and recently made the switch to Duck's. I'm 6'3" 200 and the ergos could be better. Rearsets are in need, my right knee hits the fairing and I also find myself putting a lot of weight on the bars. The seat is your typical sportbike seat, bearable but not that comfortable and definitely not as comfortable as a gixxer seat. But lets face it, if you're on a sportbike no matter the type your ass starts hurting after awhile. I also find myself sliding around on it too much.

It is an awesome bike, and I'm glad I bought it. Thoughtfully put together and engineered, plus it looks like a work of art. You won't regret buying one.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've owned 3 GSXR's as well and recently made the switch to Duck's. I'm 6'3" 200 and the ergos could be better. Rearsets are in need, my right knee hits the fairing and I also find myself putting a lot of weight on the bars. The seat is your typical sportbike seat, bearable but not that comfortable and definitely not as comfortable as a gixxer seat. But lets face it, if you're on a sportbike no matter the type your ass starts hurting after awhile. I also find myself sliding around on it too much.

It is an awesome bike, and I'm glad I bought it. Thoughtfully put together and engineered, plus it looks like a work of art. You won't regret buying one.
How is the power compared to the Gixxer 750? I am guessing more grunt down low, but down about 20HP on top?

The upgraded suspension on this bike is as least as good as the Duc, but the Brembos are better on the Duc than what I have.

Also, if I want to throw a set of slipons and tune the Duc with a Power Commander, do I still have to get a DP ECU first in order to disable the O2 sensors, or is there a workaround for that yet?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
not sure if this will help you be more comfortable but it helped me (5'10, 30" inseam). i installed a speedymoto triple clamp on my 848 which allows the clip-ons to be raised 5/8". made all the difference in the world for me, and rear sets could only help further i'd think.

adios

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Its very hard to judge how you'd feel on the 848, mainly because it sounds like your a big guy. My wrists don't hurt me, but then again I don't ride upright very much, I tuck in on the highway all the time. Its only riding to the grocery store or around town that I sit upright and a lot of times only use one hand whilst riding. The 848 won't really be any different then your 999 was. The seat to handlebar distance is shorter, making the bike feel smaller, but it really ain't much smaller. The rear sets suck, but ya know, your tall and I bet they're ok.

Go ride an 848 before making any decisions. I think about trading my 848 in for a hypermotard all the time, but then I realize I enjoy going fast and the HM is not a fast bike and you can't tuck in on the highway...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
57 Posts
How is the power compared to the Gixxer 750? I am guessing more grunt down low, but down about 20HP on top?

The upgraded suspension on this bike is as least as good as the Duc, but the Brembos are better on the Duc than what I have.

Also, if I want to throw a set of slipons and tune the Duc with a Power Commander, do I still have to get a DP ECU first in order to disable the O2 sensors, or is there a workaround for that yet?
Well the last gixxer I came off of was a 2000 750, which I sold in 2006. PC2, akrapovic exhaust, filter & some other light mods, cosmetic and such. That thing ran like a scalded dog...

I haven't had a chance to really run the 848 yet, I still have the break-in oil in, but I like the way it feels so far. It's got great low-mid torque (as expected from a twin), but it also feels like it wants to pull hard up top. Quite different from the jap I-4's, but it has put a huge smile on my face!

Brembos are fantastic. The suspension does need some fine tuning, I think I will have the forks reworked and probably get an ohlins shock for out back. I just ordered a full termi system and plan on running that with the DP ECU, maybe a custom map in the future, we'll see how this works first...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

In regards to the O2 sensor: If you wait for about 3-4 weeks, dynojet is coming out with a new powercommander for the 848. Apparently the Powercommander V has a component (sold seperately, of course) called autotune. This component (if I've read it correctly) replaces the O2 sensor, and "tricks" the stock ECU. It also balances the air fuel ratio "on the fly". Check them out at http://www.powercommander.com/eng_default.aspx

Another option to that is also the Nemesis ECU.. I've been quoted at around 1k for one of those, but I'm gonna wait and get the PCV and autotune for around $600. Then I'm snagging a full system.

With regards to the suspension, it's not bad at all. For your weight you'll most likely have to have it resprung as I think the springs are for someone in the 170lbs - 180lbs range (anyone else out there correct me if I'm wrong).

The bike has a very smooth powerband and is deceivingly fast. Keep in mind, it's meant to run against 600's though. But the 848 is a damn sight faster than any 600 I've ever encountered. I can hang with guys on 750's but can't outaccelerate them.

Hope this helps!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
The Showa oem rear spring is sprung for an individual heavier than 175lbs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 848 rear shock seems to be sprung for someone weighing around 225 to 235 lbs. I weigh about 185 in gear and the rear is pretty harsh. The front is working fine for me so far.

Sold an 08 750 Gixxer to get the 848. The Gixxer and my old 999 were more comfortable than the 848 but the difference is not a deal breaker by any means. I'm 6' tall with a 33" inseam. Long arms. I've gotten used to the 848 pretty darn fast and I wouldn't go back. I think the 848 handles better than the Gixxer or the 999 and God knows I worked hard to get the 999 as good as it gets without putting on carbon wheels or a light flywheel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The comment about the new Power Commander V and the Autotune module is quite apt. I have an 09 Yamaha R1 with a full Akro system, the PCV with the Autotune and I cannot say enough good things about it. Once in place and set up, you will find yourself tweaking it (which takes only a few minutes with a simple hookup to the O2 sensor) to set the bike up to fatten the power and torque curve and tune out any glitches and flat stops. It makes for a vast improvement and the normal to the US EPA flat spots and other issues go away real fast.

A clear step up from the PCIII and one I look forward to adding to several of my other rides in the near future. Dave

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The comment about the new Power Commander V and the Autotune module is quite apt. I have an 09 Yamaha R1 with a full Akro system, the PCV with the Autotune and I cannot say enough good things about it. Once in place and set up, you will find yourself tweaking it (which takes only a few minutes with a simple hookup to the O2 sensor) to set the bike up to fatten the power and torque curve and tune out any glitches and flat stops. It makes for a vast improvement and the normal to the US EPA flat spots and other issues go away real fast.

A clear step up from the PCIII and one I look forward to adding to several of my other rides in the near future. Dave
Does the PC-V autotune actually adjust things on the fly? Or is it like the Bazzaz system, where you tell it to learn a certain part of the map and then have to go back in later and review and copy and paste the tables?

I was not impressed with the Bazzaz autmapper. Too cumbersome and the results were not impressive. I handed the bike to my tuner and picked up 8HP from what the Bazzaz automappter was able to deliver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts