Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a discussion with a British friend who had just converted his 848 from the original wet clutch to the traditional dry unit. Very provocative discussion.

For the 848 owners, particularly those who have owned dry clutch Ducs before, would you buy a wet clutch Ducati superbike again ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I don't own an 848, but I've ridden a few of them. I like the wet clutch. Better feel/engagement. I'm on the fence about the dry clutch sound; yeah it's characteristic, but when you hear the bike with the plates removed, the exhaust sound is so much sweeter. Ease of maintenance on the dry clutch is a plus, but I could get used to changing/adjusting plates less frequently, which I imagine is the case with the wet clutch.

IMO, the winner is the wet clutch

·
Registered
559 Posts
+1

I've been around and ridden plenty of 916/996 bikes and while the dry clutch sound somewhat enhances the character of the bike, IMO anyway, the wet clutch wins. I actually enjoy hearing JUST my exhaust now, especially at idle with the clutch out. Useability feels better as well on a daily basis however my bikes aren't commuters I've gotten good at using both on a Duc.

I have however never personally serviced either so I can't comment there. I have also never ridden balls out on a track with either.

Until I am at the point where I need a slipper on a track, I'm not sure I could just pick one or the other.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Got into a discussion with a British friend who had just converted his 848 from the original wet clutch to the traditional dry unit. Very provocative discussion.

For the 848 owners, particularly those who have owned dry clutch Ducs before, would you buy a wet clutch Ducati superbike again ?

Thanks !
A year and a half ago, I spent two hours test riding an 848.

The wet clutch was the only thing I really liked about it (but I had ridden a 1098R the week before, and have a 999R, so I wasn't impressed with the engine, brakes, or handling)

So, yes, I would but a wet-clutch superbike.

Tom

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dry clutch

I now have an 848 but I loved the open dry clutch sound and "bling factor" it gave my monster S2R 1K. I see it as being a Ducati trademark.

I really wanted to get the dry slipper conversion for my 848 when they were first advertized last year. I later decided the cost was too much for this mainly cosmetic upgrade.

My next Ducati will have a Dry clutch! Too bad the new Multi (wet clutch) was being considered but is now off my wish list.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,961 Posts
Anyone ever converted a 748 to wet clutch?

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,961 Posts
I've actaully considered doing this on my 749, the 848 can be converted to dry clutch, so I imagine it can be done.
I did hear of it being done once but has anybody here any details of what's involved, any extra seals required?
As I understood it, it had it's own oil, not shared with the engine / gearbox.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I prefer the wet clutch, but that may be because I came from a Suzuki GSXR 600. I've ridden a dry clutch 999s, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer my 848 much more!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I prefer the wet clutch, but that may be because I came from a Suzuki GSXR 600. I've ridden a dry clutch 999s, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer my 848 much more!
Well I can tell you for maint. reasons, I much prefer the dry clutch for ease and availability of oem and aftermarket clutch parts VS. wet clutch parts from my zuki 750.
Then again that thing eats clutches at 190hp after about 2-3k miles.
I also noticed my oil dirties faster now with that bike than it did stock, also for various reasons, mods, excesive wear etc.
Dry clutch all the way for easy tear down and rebuild.
I suppose if I never had the option or ever owned a bike with a dry clutch I wouldnt have a stand on this topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts