Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common are false nuetrals with the 848? Is it unique to the 848 or is it just a Ducati thing?

On several occasions when rowing enthusiastically through the gears I've stumbled on a false neutral. Luckily the lights on the dash and the ECU protect the enigine from my ham fisted (footed?) riding beyond the surpise to find myself no longer accelerating with a red light flashing at me it's not a big deal. The ECU keeps me from over reving the engine.

I'm curious to know if this is just one of those things that give Ducati's the personality or is it an issue I should have looked in to?

If it's just part of the personality do I just need to get in the practice of giving the gear selector more boot or is there something else needed?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an '04 749s and it sometimes gives me a false neutral if I'm too gingerly on the shifter. It quits doing it when I give it a good bump each time. I do not know if it is due to wear, or if it is like that with Ducati's, but I have a Honda Valkyrie and it does the same thing if I am too light on the shift. I know its not due to wear on the Honda because everyone has that problem. I only have the problem when I up-shift and it is only between certain gears (can't remember which gears)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine started doing this after I went to GP shift. Does it mainly when I downshift and I'm going easy on the shifter. I'm curious as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an 848 Evo and I get false neutrals occasionally between 5th and 6th. I rarely ever use 6th anyway so no big deal; I just hit the shifter a bit harder than normal on that change now. Apparently the mechanism that rows through the gears can be off from the factory and is able to be adjusted but it wasn't worth the hassle for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had several dukes and they all did it. Mechanics said it is indeed a common issue with these bikes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine did it quite a bit this weekend while out on a 500 mile trip. I thought it might have something to do with the quickshifter, but reading this thread, I am not sure. I may try to adjust the pedal to see if that helps, but this sucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How common are false nuetrals with the 848? Is it unique to the 848 or is it just a Ducati thing?

On several occasions when rowing enthusiastically through the gears I've stumbled on a false neutral. Luckily the lights on the dash and the ECU protect the enigine from my ham fisted (footed?) riding beyond the surpise to find myself no longer accelerating with a red light flashing at me it's not a big deal. The ECU keeps me from over reving the engine.

I'm curious to know if this is just one of those things that give Ducati's the personality or is it an issue I should have looked in to?

If it's just part of the personality do I just need to get in the practice of giving the gear selector more boot or is there something else needed?
bro if you see motogp riders go off track, sometimes it's cuz THEY THEMSELVES had false neutrals. Not a manufacturer thing just depends how hard u kick it up (cut times by gear also affect this). But it's not Ducati. I've rode many bikes and get false neutrals on all. Happens all the time! Even in car racing - gear doesn't grab and slips to a false neutral

·
Premium Member
2016 KTM Super Duke 1090R
189 Posts
Mine did it quite a bit this weekend while out on a 500 mile trip. I thought it might have something to do with the quickshifter, but reading this thread, I am not sure. I may try to adjust the pedal to see if that helps, but this sucks.
cant say I have had any real issue with false neutrals on my 848 but on my 1198 SP plenty. I think it has something to do with the quick shifter. :eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. Basically to me it sounds like its just part of the 'personality'. So more boot for now on - baby likes a firm hand when she's getting it on.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I have an '04 749s and it sometimes gives me a false neutral if I'm too gingerly on the shifter.
Plus 1... '02 748R here, same thing. If I select first too lightly the neutral light stays on, AND if I go back to neutral from first too lightly the bike will be in neutral, but the indicator will not come on.

It makes for a pretty interesting release of the clutch when this occurs... ;)

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I have that experience too with GP shift just have to remember to put more muscle into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts