Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got an 848 with a possibly pooched engine and Im considering an 1198 swap. Does anyone know if the wiring harnesses are the same at the ECU end? Any reason why the units couldn't be swapped successfully? Im looking to source a complete 1198 engine and throttle bodies with airbox, so the only remaining part would be the computer itself. From my research, the dash should continue to function properly so it shouldn't need swapping too.

Any thoughts? I did a search but not a single engine swap thread is complete with any useful information. If I do go through with it, I'll make sure to post up my findings in a DIY thread :)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
For a straigh engine swap you you can use your 848 harness. Pick up for alternator, crank position sensor, are the same. You will need to use the 848 manifolds so your throttle body fits and you will have to change the exhaust flange on the exhaust. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a straigh engine swap you you can use your 848 harness. Pick up for alternator, crank position sensor, are the same. You will need to use the 848 manifolds so your throttle body fits and you will have to change the exhaust flange on the exhaust. Hope this helps.
That helps, thanks for the fast response. Why not just use 1198 throttle bodies and airbox? It wouldn't fit under the 848 tank?

Thanks again

·
Registered
361 Posts
The wiring harness is the same on both bikes, swap the 1198 motor and injection then plug the Ecu and u are good to go

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
... been waiting to read something like this. So the 848 swingarm is good "as-is" as well? In my case, I have the 1098 throttle bodies and airbox installed, as well as the 1098 full termi exhaust/racing ECU. Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
... been waiting to read something like this. So the 848 swingarm is good "as-is" as well? In my case, I have the 1098 throttle bodies and airbox installed, as well as the 1098 full termi exhaust/racing ECU. Jim
Which bike do you have the 1098 parts installed on?
As for swingarm, I simply don't know. I'll figure it out when I get there :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont know if its kosher to post links to the other forum here or whatever, but as a courtesy here's a nice write-up I found of an 848 owner going the 1098 swap route, and the parts he needed to get it accomplished.

EVO Connecting Rod Bearing Failure - Page 4 - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

Noteworthy stuff:

- The exhausts were different part numbers but he used his 848 stuff successfully, just blocked off an o2 bung.
- Airbox and injectors are the same, throttle bodies are different so 1098 units were necessary
- He transplanted his 848 flywheel and starter/sprag clutch to the 1098 motor and got the benefit of added lightness ;)

And pertaining to this specific thread: - The ECU was a stumbling block - he changed to a 1098 ecu only to find that there are 2 sections to it, the maps and the bike config. In order to be successful the ECU would need the 848 config flash and 1098 maps, it was a no go. He mentioned that a potential solution was to swap a 1098 harness into the mix, but Im not sure personally what the difference there would be.... anyone care to comment? Immobilizer issue or something?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can someone else confirm that the above story is the "only" way to exchange the 1198 motor for the 848? This indicates it is not quite a drop-in activity, where as others people have basically said "drop-in" only. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its physically 'drop in' as the mounting is the same, but it definitely is not a plug n play affair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts