Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone out there has had better luck than I trying to find a good instructional post about replacing the windscreen on an 848 or 1098. I see that the stock windscreen is held in with torx heads (T7 ?) and fasteners that aren't your typical well-nuts. I see from another post that folks have tried hemostats to keep their nuts from falling off (pardon the expression). I'm wondering...did you have to remove the mirrors and loosen up the front fairing to access the 2 forward rubber nuts, or did you have to remove the front fairing all together? If it was just a matter of clamping your nuts (pardon the expression) with the hemostat did you find it easier to go in from the side of the upper front fairing just behind the plastic body work?:confused:

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
If you want to make things easy on yourself, definitely remove the mirrors, and you just need to remove the two bolts for the front fairing and just slip it forward a bit to give yourself room. Hemastats would work but I had no problems at all by using a small needlenose plier to hold the wellnuts in place. The only part that's remotely tricky is popping the mirrors off after you remove their bolts, as it takes a little pressure. You might use some blue Loctite on the bolts when you put the mirrors back on.

It should take you no more than 20 minutes, most of which is tightening up the numerous windshield screws.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you want to make things easy on yourself, definitely remove the mirrors, and you just need to remove the two bolts for the front fairing and just slip it forward a bit to give yourself room. Hemastats would work but I had no problems at all by using a small needlenose plier to hold the wellnuts in place. The only part that's remotely tricky is popping the mirrors off after you remove their bolts, as it takes a little pressure. You might use some blue Loctite on the bolts when you put the mirrors back on.

It should take you no more than 20 minutes, most of which is tightening up the numerous windshield screws.
I left the mirrors on used black electrical tape to hold the front well nuts in place. Make the tape pretty long and it held them in place long enough to put the bolts in the upper part of the fairing to hold the windscreen in place. There was just enough room to sneak my finger past the instrument cluster to hold the well nuts while I inserted the bolts and tighten them. Then just pull off the black tape which isn't very sticky in the first place and won't leave residue. Got it in the first attempt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts