Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I recently got this 848 in a trade. I really like the bike, and it's allot of fun. It came with a Zard slip-on. my questions are:

Will the Zard slip-on have eliminated the cat?
Will there be any gains worth it, other than looks, buying Zard headers for it.

It's running really rough in the low revs. The previous owner claims, he left the stock ECU, but apart from the slip-on also changed to a performance air filter. Whats the way to go, power commander and a dyno run, or a simple ECU update?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 848 is very chug chug down below 4k RPM's. Its normal. You'll get used to it. Now, just adding Zard slip ons is not ideal. I would find a DP ecu and install that at least. If you dont change anything, it will be ok but it could be a bit better. Adding Zard headers would be cool, but I doubt it would add a ton of power.

The 'cats' are actually inside the stock exhaust canisters, so they have been removed.

Good luck, Ive had three 848's. I love them!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 848 is very chug chug down below 4k RPM's. Its normal. You'll get used to it. Now, just adding Zard slip ons is not ideal. I would find a DP ecu and install that at least. If you dont change anything, it will be ok but it could be a bit better. Adding Zard headers would be cool, but I doubt it would add a ton of power.

The 'cats' are actually inside the stock exhaust canisters, so they have been removed.

Good luck, Ive had three 848's. I love them!

Thanks for a great answer :) Is it possible just to get the ECU updated at a ducati dealer to fit the purpose?

Anyone tried to polish up the original headers for a nicer result?

One of the mods I did was putting in a 190/55/17 tire, and a 14t front sprocket. Handles really well now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are people who can 'flash' your ecu. Im betting the dealer is NOT one who can. Otherwise, you can purchase a pre-owned DP (Ducati Performance) ecu and have that installed.

The headers and pipes do look nice when polished.

Ive found the 848 handels better with the 180....and they are cheaper too! Not a tremendous difference going to the 190, the bike just seems to turn a smidge slower.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ive found the 848 handels better with the 180....and they are cheaper too! Not a tremendous difference going to the 190, the bike just seems to turn a smidge slower.
I was going to chime in as well on that one...

I was surprised you said it handles well after going to a 190... but could that just be because your old 180 section was worn, with a flat spot?

I would personally stick with a 180, for better turn-in, but that would be personal preference.

I remember once going up from a 170 to a 180 on the rear of a tube-frame Buell, and it was noticeably harder to turn, and far less enjoyable to ride.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
the 848 should run nice under 4,000 rpm if tuned right. the std ecu as well as the dp ecu will be closed loop. get the ecu flashed with good mapping that is open loop, do a tps reset and set the idle mixture.

the std header design gives a mid range hole. zard used to do a 996 style header set, with two pipes up to the mufflers. that will help the midrange, not top end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts