Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting after 10 years in crate. Runs intermittently one cylinder, other runs sweet. Guy I brought it off said ignition pick-ups might need replacing or adjusting. I am a new owner, direction to any information about this part and its setting welcome.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Start with the carbs.they need to be clean and synched.The manifold rubber spacers are prone to leakage due to age cracking.The wiring from the pickups will deteriorate and cause misfiring and poor running.The forum at www.bevelheaven .com is chock full of info and very helpful people and Steve supplies quality parts and very good service.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
How many miles has the bike done? The carbs are the first thing to check, the ignition last. As Wdietz186 said, the manifold rubers will need replacing and the carbs need to be cleaned, and if they have been stored with petrol in them the fuel will have formed gum which will block the jets and drillings. This may need professional cleaning. What about the tank? have you drained any old fuel out? was there any water in there? Is there a good head of fuel flowing from both taps? I have known the tap screens to be completely blocked by sediment. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I am just new to these forums and have found some good info. Will beging the cleaning process today, have done some but I will redo it and check out those things. Gowanlock in Australia said they refurbish the pick-ups so might get that done too.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brand new taps and screens, tank clean and free of obstructions. Carbs were a little gummy so cleaned but might redo again and take more care. Plenty of petrol flow. Do you think that the timing might be part of the trouble. I have ordered a manual, never had a ducati but confident to do my own basic maintenance....long way from Ducati mechanics here in the south of NZ.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
What I hate about the original Bosch ignition system (apart from the fact that it advances in steps) is the problem of setting it up. The pick-ups need a special tool to set them in the right position in the side cover and a mechanic who will take the time to do the job properly. I have seen cases where the pick-ups have been rubbing on the rotor. I fitted a Lucas RITA to my S2 24 years ago; it is simple to fit and I have not touched it since. There is also a German system, Moto Witt sold by Ducati Kamna, which I believe is also very good, but more involved to fit. I don't think though that timing would cause a misfire. Possibly poor, corroded connections, or breakdown in the pick-up wiring. Mine started misfiring under load when the ignition switch began to pack up. A misfire caused by ignition usual shows up under load, ie when givng the engine a handful, whereas fuel problems happen all the time.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic help I have received. I will go through all of the mentioned ideas and am certainly interested in the Lucas RITA. Will investigate availability here. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It is my understanding the Rita system is no longer made.I have one on my 900SS bevel racebike and it does work ok,after I replaced all the tiny fixing screws and the rivets holding the pickup together.The other drawback to it is that it attaches in place of the vertical bevel cover so if you have bodywork covering it you need to cut a hole in the likely irreplacable side panel.Not to mention losing the option of fitting a gear gazer to hypnotize onlookers with the spinning bevel gears.The Bosch system as fitted is very reliable once the insulation problems of the pickup wiring is dealt with.After the carbs the ign. is the next place to be looking.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
The Lucas RITA is still available, direct from the manufacturer, Mistral Engineering, who can supply you direct. Their fax number is :UK 020 8501 2270; telephone no: UK 020 8501 2270. Email me if you require any more info. The side-panel is not an issue with the S2 or SS, because the housing does not interfere with it.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never mind men I cleaned the carbs and she fired up. Holy dooley it made the neigbours open the curtains. Runs very smoothly. I think the clutch plates may be sticking, as in not releasing when clutch pulled in. Have tried the adjuster but no success yet...sounds like it never stopped even after ten years in a crate. I'm a happy Kiwi.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well done! good news. Does your S2 have a kickstarter? if so, you can free the plates by pulling in the lever and kicking the engine over (it may take some time!) if not, you can try repeatedly pulling the lever in and out with the engine running, alternating with keeping the lever pulled for a few seconds at a time. If this dosen't work then you will have to remove the clutch cover and take off the pressure plate and wash the plates in parrafin and reoil them. Not a difficult job, but a bit of a pain due to the electric starter.

Have you changed the oil? after a long lay-up its going to be very contaminated. I would advise SAE 50 for summer use.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent I was going to ask you about oil. It is dead of winter here (-4) at night. Just ran it down the driveway dropped into second and rode up the street, pulled in the clutch and it was free. I will warm it, change the oil and take it for it's first outing on Saturday. My neighbour has been over looking at it, after hearing it, and he told his friends at club and it seems all of them remember fondly the old 'Dukes'. Cant wait for my first ride on a Ducati.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Engine oil on the bevel engines is a real pain if you ride year round in a cold winter clmate. In over 30 years of bevel ownership, I have always followed the advice of the Silkolene oil technician, who told me that a medium detergent SAE 50 was essential for summer use, but in winter for GENTLE use a medium detergent 20/50 was the best bet. For harder use in winter an SAE 40 would probably be right.

It may be a good idea to check your crankcase for sludge build up, if you don't know what type of oil has been used, which you can do when you drain the oil. If you push a clean piece of wire through the drain hole or through the filler hole and scrape it across the bottom of the crankcase, when you pull it out again black deposits will be sticking to the wire if there is a build up of sludge caused by running with a non-detergent oil. You don't want a load of sludge being freed up by the detergent and circulating in the oil!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts