Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that the new 939's are out I guess the 821 people will be left out of the conversation like the original hyper people. Oh well, what goes around comes around.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
991 Posts
Well now that the new 939's are out I guess the 821 people will be left out of the conversation like the original hyper people. Oh well, what goes around comes around.
Good point!

Reactions: the earl of hype

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the 821's had so many problems that the 939 was the way to shove those problems under the door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I still don't understand the "many problems" people are supposed to have had - is that a US problem?
Seriously, e.g. the fuelling/engine response that's so often criticized by US riders in this forum is something I haven't encountered with any of the Hyper 1100 Evos (tried out 2 different individuals), 1100 SPs (rode only one), 821s (2 bikes), 821 SPs (3 different bikes tried). This has got to be a problem related to the low-spec US fuel (no offence - I guess the bikes are just built with primarily - expensive - European fuel in mind).
I have not heard of anyone with a defective starter motor (though it does turn awfully slowly and always just about manages to get the engine going - typically Ducati).
I ride my 821 SP as hard as I can manage & afford (15'000 KM and 6 sets of tyres so far) and I haven't had any problems at all. I do think the suspension set-up is too hard for the road & the Marzocchi forks are nowhere near what they ought to be and the front brakes offer very little control compared to the ones fitted on KTMs, Japanese super sports bikes and other sporty Italian bikes, but that's all!

Regarding the 939: It remains to be seen if the Öhlins forks are really much better than the Marzocchis of the 821 SP. The bike's uglier (look at the chimney-like exhaust can & oil cooler), it'll be 16 lb (!!!) heavier AND, most importantly for you US riders: it'll run even leaner because of the stupid Euro 4 noise and exhaust emissions restrictions. Unless you can manipulate the fuel map effectively - hands off!
I admit more torque would be nice ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm coming up on 6k miles on my '14 SP. No problems at all, whereas my speed triple r was pissing coolant all the time at this point. I ride this bike the way God intended, including track days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Heck I still love my 900SS so I think the 821 is not so dated :wink2:

Reactions: daved

·
Registered
946 Posts
I still don't understand the "many problems" people are supposed to have had - is that a US problem?
Seriously, e.g. the fuelling/engine response that's so often criticized by US riders in this forum is something I haven't encountered with any of the Hyper 1100 Evos (tried out 2 different individuals), 1100 SPs (rode only one), 821s (2 bikes), 821 SPs (3 different bikes tried). This has got to be a problem related to the low-spec US fuel (no offence - I guess the bikes are just built with primarily - expensive - European fuel in mind).
I have not heard of anyone with a defective starter motor (though it does turn awfully slowly and always just about manages to get the engine going - typically Ducati).
I ride my 821 SP as hard as I can manage & afford (15'000 KM and 6 sets of tyres so far) and I haven't had any problems at all. I do think the suspension set-up is too hard for the road & the Marzocchi forks are nowhere near what they ought to be and the front brakes offer very little control compared to the ones fitted on KTMs, Japanese super sports bikes and other sporty Italian bikes, but that's all!

Regarding the 939: It remains to be seen if the Öhlins forks are really much better than the Marzocchis of the 821 SP. The bike's uglier (look at the chimney-like exhaust can & oil cooler), it'll be 16 lb (!!!) heavier AND, most importantly for you US riders: it'll run even leaner because of the stupid Euro 4 noise and exhaust emissions restrictions. Unless you can manipulate the fuel map effectively - hands off!
I always appreciate your posts. Well thought out - and I agree :grin2:

·
Flavor of the Month
2,359 Posts
It's just the way it is with the newer generation of Ducs and some owners. Always something bigger and better. When the SF first came out, the same reaction from a lot of Hyper owners looking to jump ship. I don't plan on getting rid of either of my current bikes. Ducati's are supposed to be special machines, not a sedan to be upgraded. They can be kept because they're smaller than cars and cost less than even the most basic Japanese econobox.

I was hoping for a bigger motored Hyper, it would be a nice addition to go with the air cooled one. The Monster gets a big motor, why can't the Hyper get it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
@ paradox206:

I meant that, none of the 3 Hyper owners (2014 & 2015 models) I know personally have complained of starter motor problems. Mine seems to work alright too. Of course this doesn't mean that there is no problem. Maybe we've all been lucky so far!
Incidentally, no coil problems either. People who don't have a problem with a particular part don't tend to proclaim the normal function of that ordinary part in a forum such as this ("My head lights worked properly yet again today .."). This can give a distorted view.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are absolutely correct, I see it all the time on my company's forums too. Customers can make a mountain out of a mole hill while our error reports say otherwise. Unfortunately for the Hyper, based on what my dealer told me, it's mostly true (at least with the starter; the coils is an issue, but less of one).

·
Registered
406 Posts

It's always a mistake to evaluate things from just your personal experience. There are some complaints that are generated by owners who bought a bike that they're simply not happy with, but there have been real problems. If you read the posts carefully you can suss them out. Further, just like you, people from all around the world post here - issues seem universal.

Apart from the TCU going on my bike - repaired by ducati - I've had no problems. My friend bought an out of warranty strada and within 2 weeks the coils went, taking the dash with them. I don't think gas had anything to do with it, and ducati repaired for free. The gist is, ducati knows there are problem parts out there - they won't recall to check the bikes, but they will fix when they fail.

Once again: basing a global view on one's own experience is faulty logic - the beauty of the internet is the ability to easily get raw information, the tricky part is synthesizing it cogently.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2014 sp

The following under warrantee:

front rotors
starter
neutral switch
ABS unit

I think I may need some clutch work very soon at 11500 km. I have been gentle on it.

I love the bike and plan to keep it a long time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's always a mistake to evaluate things from just your personal experience. There are some complaints that are generated by owners who bought a bike that they're simply not happy with, but there have been real problems. If you read the posts carefully you can suss them out. Further, just like you, people from all around the world post here - issues seem universal.

Apart from the TCU going on my bike - repaired by ducati - I've had no problems. My friend bought an out of warranty strada and within 2 weeks the coils went, taking the dash with them. I don't think gas had anything to do with it, and ducati repaired for free. The gist is, ducati knows there are problem parts out there - they won't recall to check the bikes, but they will fix when they fail.

Once again: basing a global view on one's own experience is faulty logic - the beauty of the internet is the ability to easily get raw information, the tricky part is synthesizing it cogently.

" they won't recall to check the bikes, but they will fix when they fail."

No they won't. My dealer called Italy and Ducati wouldn't do anything about my throttle not shutting off (TCU replacement), even though my TCU was a known problem due to it's "C" code lettering (should be "E or F"). My dealer took care of it anyway. I can't imagine something much more problematic than a throttle that sometimes doesn't shut off coming into a corner hot. Talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts