Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my little reTard but I need some help. I've put around 3K miles on it and tracked it a couple weekends back. It's a 2013 Hyper 821.

It's always been hard to start. Has to turn over three or more times. When it gets hot, it's even harder to start. I put an Arrow slip on and now am hearing backfires occasionally that were probably already happening but now I can hear them.

It was stalling out at low speed. I removed the Evap canister and the stalling got better. I believed that it was running lean based on others having this issue so I bought the "booster plug" which tricks the ECU into thinking the ambient temp is about 30 to 40 degree's cooler than it really is outside.

The booster plug seemed to help with the stock exhaust on but now I'm wondering if it's not helping. Gas mileage got a good bit better, went from mid 40's to 50+ MPG so I'm inclined to think it needed to be running a bit richer.

The most annoying thing is that it never seems to be happy. It wants to be WOT or decelerating but no where in between. Holding the throttle at 3 to 4K rpm, it's not smooth. The best way I can describe it is that it's always lurching / surging unless you are increasing throttle or off as in decelerating the throttle.

Has anyone had these issues and tried a Bazzaz fuel controller?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Consider a Rexxer tune. It made a nice difference to my SF848

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 SP
52 Posts
So I don't have the 821, but I have the 939 (relatively the same). I had most of those issues on my 2016 when I bought it used with 6,000km / 3,700 miles, so I went with a Rapid Bike Evo unit and enabled the auto adaptivity feature; it really helped to smooth out the jerkiness, as well as the low-rpm stall (usually when pulling up to a stop-light or stop sign). I've since had the bike dyno-tuned to create a near perfect base map, which allowed me to reduce the RB's adaptivty parameters to only really small adjustments. It's much smoother when maintaining rpm's (especially 4-5k), and doesn't stall anymore. The Arrow can you installed could easily be playing a role in your issues, so a dyno tune may be your best bet to ensure you're not running too rich or too lean.Regarding the backfire, it's not a negative; just means there's unburnt fuel being ignited by the hot exhaust, potentially caused by your mixture or exhaust system. Plus, it sounds and looks pretty good 👌

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
827 Posts
What do the valves themselves look like...that soot I think Is just blow by from engine braking...but since your that deep in there see if there are any cracks in the intake to air box fittings

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do the valves themselves look like...that soot I think Is just blow by from engine braking...but since your that deep in there see if there are any cracks in the intake to air box fittings
Well funny you should ask that. When I opened the air box, the grommet for the MAP was lying loose in the box so there is definitely a leak there for sure. Valves have some crude on the them but nothing serious. Both clamps on the airbox were loose as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy, Happy, Happy! I just got my Tard fixed!!!! It took me an hour to rig up some way to connect the fuel line as I developed a leak from all the on and off removals. Cranked on 2 revolution. Turned it off, again cranked on 2cd revolution. Third time same. I am so freaking happy! I was headed 200 miles to the dealer today to pay them $168 / hr to figure this out.

I attribute my cold start issue to numerous intake leaks, throttle body clamps were loose, extremely dirty throttle bodies and the MAP sensor grommet was completely out inside the airbox. Hypertard 821 thank you so much for your post it lead to me figuring this out. I'd also like to thank Guiseppe Starace for his suggestions as well as he directed me to the throttle body area. I love this place thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts