Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after looking at the parts diagrams, and knowing how Ducati used to do things, has anyone else had the thought of using 939 pistons and cylinders in their 821? The stroke is the same between the 2 motors, just a larger bore, and the base gaskets are the same (so it's not like the 750/900 motors with different stud placement). I'm thinking that there would be a bit more than the 4hp and 9ft lbs increase since the 821 isn't choked down by the EURO 4 emissions restrictions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
So after looking at the parts diagrams, and knowing how Ducati used to do things, has anyone else had the thought of using 939 pistons and cylinders in their 821? The stroke is the same between the 2 motors, just a larger bore, and the base gaskets are the same (so it's not like the 750/900 motors with different stud placement). I'm thinking that there would be a bit more than the 4hp and 9ft lbs increase since the 821 isn't choked down by the EURO 4 emissions restrictions. Any thoughts?
From the looks of things, you'd get a bit more power/torque, but not much. The silencer on the new bike is significantly longer than old one, which I would expect is more restrictive and the Akropovic website confirms this to some extent as the power gains for the 939 (1.5KW/2.8Nm) are slightly larger than the 821 figures (1.3/2.1). MSRP for a couple of barrel/piston assemblies is north of $3k

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not a motorhead but with this motor COULD you also add a better cam, head work, and larger throttle bodies to attain more HP & torque? Say 110 RWHP and 70 ft lbs? Cuz from what Iv'e seen on a dyno chart, the stock 821 is putting out about 95-96 RWHP.

How much HP & torque does the full TERMI with up map add?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe I wear slippery pants, but when I really dip into the throttle I'm slipping back and bracing myself on the pegs. It's fun, I'm happy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts