Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to change my rear sprocket to either 43 or 45 tooth setup while retaining the 15 front sprocket. I have a 2005 800ss, pretty much just ride in the city and am not a fan of the low speed chugging.

I have read a bunch of posts here and looked at gear commander as well. Seems like 15/43 is a popular setup. Has anyone tried the 15/45 setup? Also please let me know your general thoughts as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
On my 900SSie I went from the standard 15/40 to 15/43 also based on the many very positive feedbacks, but to be honest I did not feel that significant a change. Maybe if I went back to std. gearing the change would be more evident and I did change over winter, so I did not ride the gearings “back-to-back”.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
That seems really low, even for all city riding. I guess if it’s really congested and you’re never, ever riding it at higher speed it would work out . I’ve honestly never heard of anyone gearing a Ducati that low. I ride almost exclusively 2 lane backroads and through small towns with 3-4 stops, and 15/41 is perfect for me. For a while I tried 14/41 but decided to put the 15 back on so that if I wanted to ride faster roads it wasn’t screaming in top gear. If you’re smoking clutches constantly I’m sure it would help, but fuel mileage will surely suck and it will be pretty noisy if you don’t have stock exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SalkinSalkin - Thank you for that feedback. Did you have to still feather the clutch at low speeds after the change?

duc96cr - Thank you for your feedback as well. Sounds like you went +4 on the rear as I think your stock setup is 15/37. For the 800ss the stock setup is 15/39, so 15/43 sounds like it would be similar to what you currently have. The newest supersport (939) gearing is 15/43 as well I think based on gear commander. I ride mainly in large downtown cities or suburbs.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
You’re right, +4 from whatever is stock seems good . I think maybe you’re primary drive ratio is different than a 900.

·
Registered
672 Posts
sprocket set-up....

I have been using 15/39 on my 900SS for fifteen years. Then again, the 800SS may have different primary gearing...

Fred

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Careful when comparing gearing online as different bikes/models can also have different internal ratios that make it a apple to orange comparison. Best to stay with opinions from the same model and age/generation.

Almost all Ducati's have too tall gearing as oem so +2 teeth makes it better and fits a stock chain after you change chain length you have more options and often +3 works well. +4 might be great but will need a new chain and a roll of the dice. something to test might be a -1 front (14 teeth) and +2 rear, this would be close to a +4 and if it is too much just change the front back to a 15t with no changing of the chain.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
as eric said, those commenting have different models with different primary drive and/or gearbox ratios.

small block 6 speed has a large gap between first and second, which can make gearing it nice a bit hard for low speed stuff. 15/39 is just nuts. when i do m696 chain and sprocket changes i usually go 15/48, which works nicely on them. i'd be reluctant to run 15/45 due to the multiple, but i also want to say that as they run on an even # of links chain, not each other, that's not actually relevant. m696 is 15/45 std, so it cant be that bad. not sure. certainly at least a 43, i'd probably go 45 or 46. but you might also find that the first/second gap influences what you find nice and what reduces the amount of shifting / clutch riding you need to do.

i'd also be looking at the tuning, an 800ss should ride nicely at low speed if set up right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ducvet - Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize comparing different years were apple and oranges and now will definitely take that into account. I like your idea to try first with the same chain and different setups before making a full change. I think I was just trying to save overall cost by using Gear Commander numbers as a gauge.

belter - Thank you for your reply as well. I actually didn't consider a tune. Also not sure the cost there, but I will look into that.

·
Registered
234 Posts
SalkinSalkin - Thank you for that feedback. Did you have to still feather the clutch at low speeds after the change?
Yes, I still need to feather the clutch at low speed, just not as much as before. Especially in smaller roundabouts.

Gearing seems fine for motorway driving, though, approx. 120 km/h at 4000 rpm.

200 km/h at approx. 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking to change my rear sprocket to either 43 or 45 tooth setup while retaining the 15 front sprocket. I have a 2005 800ss, pretty much just ride in the city and am not a fan of the low speed chugging.

I have read a bunch of posts here and looked at gear commander as well. Seems like 15/43 is a popular setup. Has anyone tried the 15/45 setup? Also please let me know your general thoughts as well.

Thanks!
Same thing here execpt on a '97 900SS. (stock is 15/37)

I was thinking about changing the rear sprocket to a larger one but (just like you) I didn't know how much larger to go.
So instead of changing the rear sprocket to a 39 or 41 I changed the front to a 14.

The idea was that this way I could test the ratio change in a cheap way (no new, longer chain needed and a front sprocket is cheaper than a rear).

Ratios:
15/37 (stock): 0,405
15/39: 0,384
14/37: 0,378
15/41: 0,365

So with the 14/37 I'm pretty close to the 15/39 ratio and I'm happy with the way the bike acts. So next time I change the chain and sprockets I go for a 15/39 setup. The reason that I will go back to a 15 teeth front sprocket is that with a 14 teeth sprocket you have to keep an eye on the chain guard on the swingarm to prevent the chain eats itself through that guard into the swingarm. So for now I make sure to keep my chain on the correct tension and check the chainguard weekly for excessive wear.

This method translated to your bike would give:

15/39 (stock): 0,384
14/39: 0,358
15/43: 0,348
15/45: 0,333

So in your case you could test a 14/39. That's just above the 15/43. If you're happy with the result the 15/43 will probably be the best setup. If a 14/39 sprocket doesn't give you by far the change you're looking for go for a 15/45.

I think this is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to test another ratio.
(with a big thx to ducvet, who suggested me this method of testing)

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I should have read the whole thread more carefully before replying.
That way I should have seen ducvets reply... which I now basically repeated.
:shame:
I disagree, some times it is how something is worded so even though the basic part is repeated you may write it in a way that someone else can understand better than how I left it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BelgianDuc900SS - This is really helpful and appreciate the response. I agree with ducvet that it does help to hear things written differently and also nice to hear feedback with similar advice. I am all for the cost savings approach and trying the 14 front sprocket and then moving to 15 again and having a 43 rear with new chain if I am happy with the feel. Also I am considering using the G2 throttle tamer as well as it seems to have great feedback from this forum community. After all this is done, I am just going to ride and enjoy my motorcycle. :)

ducvet - As always...appreciate the help.

SalkinSalkin - Thank you also for the follow up answer.

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts