Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An SS800 will be modified because, compared to the M or S2R800, the SS has greater fuel range & prices are lower, leaving more money for the intended mods:

What's the easiest/least costly way to relax the rider's foot control position? Cornering clearance is a close second priority. I rarely scraped my '99 SS900 pegs & am far less aggressive now...I hope... Overall ergonmics: rider seat height will probably be increased; tapered tubular bars will be fastened atop the triple clamp; hoses/harnesses lengthened if necessary. OEM fairing is history-see below.

Minus the OEM fairing, are the tach/speedo innards covered or exposed to the elements? If exposed, any fix less costly vs. replacing w/ Monster gauges? (An aftermarket fairing will attach to the triple clamp.)

Weight difference: '03 5-spoke Marchesini wheels vs. later 3-spoke?

Weight difference: steel vs. alloy swingarms?

Is fully-adjstable '03 OEM Sachs shock worth rebuilding or just replace it w/ rebuildable aftermarket?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to mod a Mmmmmonster tank to hold more?
Good point. I considered it. Chris at CA Cycle Works promises a 5g Monster tank in the future. He is waiting for an outside vendor.

I welcome a referral for someone capable of enlarging a Monster tank.
Pictures would be great. Estimated cost?

Related issues: The SS's 4.2g borders on tolerable while the M's 3+g are definitely not. Also, regular Monsters (not the costly S2R) require modification to achieve the SS's cornering clearance. As mentioned above, on my '99 SS900 I occassionaly scraped pegs on the street; I may do track days at Miller Motorsports in Toole UT. (I'm lighter now & will do more suspension setup.)

Salvaged/fairing-damaged SS800 can be found. Most of you know by now the SS series was discontinued for lack of sales. Conversely the Monster's desireability increases the likelihood of damaged bikes being rebuilt & sold at market value. I used to regularly buy new bikes. Retiring = more time/less money.

Thanks all!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts