Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what would it take to get a 796 down to the 300lb flat range or even below?

Bike is 367 stock dry weight. Exhaust/cat delete and battery should be what- 20lbs?

List some other weight loss methods to get this bike down to supermoto weights.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Alu subframe, lighter flywheel, carbon or forged alloy wheels, maybe go for a single rotor front brake, lose the exhaust flapper motor and valve.

It won't get you to 300 though

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man.

Aluminum subframe is a savings of 9 pounds over stock so thats putting it close to a 30lb total weight reduction including the items I listed earlier. Not terribly expensive either for the weight savings. So that looks like a fairly easy 30 lb savings over stock or around 340lb's dry. Not bad.

Not sure what the wheel weight reduction would be but it's nice to know there is 30 lb's sitting there that's not needed and would be pretty easy to free up.

Of course, the best weight reduction is for the rider to lose weight but so far i'm doing well on that @ only 155 pounds.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks man.

Aluminum subframe is a savings of 9 pounds over stock so thats putting it close to a 30lb total weight reduction including the items I listed earlier. Not terribly expensive either for the weight savings. So that looks like a fairly easy 30 lb savings over stock or around 340lb's dry. Not bad.

Not sure what the wheel weight reduction would be but it's nice to know there is 30 lb's sitting there that's not needed and would be pretty easy to free up.

Of course, the best weight reduction is for the rider to lose weight but so far i'm doing well on that @ only 155 pounds.
Keep in mind though. Shedding 10 pounds off non-rotating items won't be as noticeable as losing 2 pounds of rotating mass. Lighter wheels mean faster acceleration and faster turn in. Lighter flywheel also does the same thing.

I lost my cat, have a termi 2-2 slip-on, no flapper valve and motor, but barely notice a change(well, except in the exhaust note :D )

I've tried an RSV 1000 R and a RSV 1000 R factory once, the difference in the way the bikes handle is so big, and that's only from the wheels(ok, and a bit from the suspension).

·
Registered
307 Posts
So what would it take to get a 796 down to the 300lb flat range or even below?

Bike is 367 stock dry weight. Exhaust/cat delete and battery should be what- 20lbs?

List some other weight loss methods to get this bike down to supermoto weights.
Your 796 does not weigh 367 pounds. Ducati claims it does...but they lie about HP and Weight on every model they sell. I had mine on scales a few times...and it weighed between 387 and 390 depending on fuel load. That weight was with a lightweight Mivv single outlet slip on. You'll never get a 796 to weigh 300 pounds. You might get it down to about 340 if you spent 5 grand...but why?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's no fun! I wonder what the actual dry weight is then. Still interesting to see though how much weight can really be removed from these bikes.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Speedcell battery.
Aluminum subframe, tho none of them are homologated as biposto.
Cat delete.
Exhaust - headers.
Wheels. (BST being the lightest)
Carbon fiber body parts wont make you save much.

If you want to beyond that :
Ti subframe
Ti frame
Ti headers
Ti rods
Ti valves
NCR crank
Magnesium bits on the engine
Ti bolts...
Ti kickstand
Ti swingarm

NCR Leggera based on a Hyper, when optioned with 1200cc complete racing engine, is down to 298lbs // 132hp

On a simple 796, you should be looking into a decent suspension setup rather than weight saving.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your 796 does not weigh 367 pounds. Ducati claims it does...but they lie about HP and Weight on every model they sell. I had mine on scales a few times...and it weighed between 387 and 390 depending on fuel load. That weight was with a lightweight Mivv single outlet slip on. You'll never get a 796 to weigh 300 pounds. You might get it down to about 340 if you spent 5 grand...but why?
367 pounds DRY weight.
Oil: 1.875 lb/qt * 3.5 qt = 6.5625 lb
Gas: 6.2 lb/gal * 3.3 gal = 20.46 lb

Oil + Gas = 27.0225 extra lb

...and a little more 'extra' for the brake fluid. Makes perfect sense that your bike weighs 23 pounds more than the dry weight with a full tank and a slip-on.

·
Old Fast Guy
495 Posts
The 367 number is the DRY weight with NO fluids of any kind. No engine oil, brake fluid, and no battery. Even the WET (or curb) weights published generally don't include fuel.

My 1100SP weighs right at 385 full of fuel ready to ride, however that weight doesn't come "cheap".

If the OP wants a really light Hype, then go here:

NCR S.r.l. - LEGGERA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts