Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've tried and failed for the 4th time to successfully retire from racing. After taking my M796 to the track a few times over the past few years, as well as riding it on the street, I've come up with a plan to have it as a dual purpose machine -- race it at the local club level 5x/year, but still have it as a street bike. I've gotten it to the point where it takes me a couple of hours to make the swap, with tire changing taking the most time. A plan to score a second set of wheels is temporarily on hold, but I hope to do that eventually.

The stock dash is replaced with a Motodemic bracket, which allows me to unplug and remove the headlights and front turn signals. A simple dirt track numberplate is mounted in place with some angle brackets and some old fork clamps.
Tires are swapped for Michelin Hypersport rubber (no warmers required).
Oil-retaining bellypan sourced from the UK.
M1100 forks, with stiffer springs and K-tech compression adjusters (I might get their rebound kit as well)
Wilbers triple adjust rear shock.
(I had done the suspension mods to improve the shocking stock suspension when I still intended to keep it on the road).
S2R rearsets (no ground clearance issues, and a cheap alternative to decent (non Chinese) rearsets)
Sidestand removal dongle from eBay (works perfect)
Lever guard on uprated radial master. When I bought the bike with 16,000km the front rotors were warped so I swapped them out for EBC rotors.
I have a modified collector that exits into a single 2" outlet (under the tail), with a Hindle titanium exhaust mounted. I need to map it properly, but it runs OK as is.
Remove the licence plate, tape up the taillight (integrated so I don't need to fuss with rear signals) some safety wiring, and we're track ready.
The bike comes with a shift light and lap timer, so that helps!

Back when I started racing on an EX500 20+ years ago, I had Pirelli K591s, no tire warmers, and raced in every class they'd let me. While I was mostly a moving chicane, I got lots of track time. I'm certainly not super fast, but I did have fun. At the height of my involvement 10 years later, I was hauling 2 bikes, a generator, a bicycle, tire warmers, canopy, tools, spare wheels, etc etc every weekend. Not sure I had any more fun...? Gonna live by the kiss principle for now.
Twins class currently is a bit under-subscribed, but I want to do my part and fill out the grid and have fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow! Looks like unlimited runoff room there, but is that an Armco barrier in the third pic? Are you racing on an old airfield?
I finally gave up racing when I realized I was nervous before the start, and relieved to have survived at the end! Still enjoy track days, though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts