Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Darmah running really great, in my humble opinion anyway. Carbs are balanced and I think I have them tuned well. I rebuilt the front calipers, all original F08's. Super effective, but in a long stop coming up to a red light, feels like the rotors are, dare I say it, warped. I'm going to buy some equipment that'll let me determine that for sure- but if they are warped- what then? I once tried to get some rotors turned like they used to, but no-one would do it...people just buy new ones....with these bikes we don't always have that option...for example Steve @ Bevel Heaven sells an EBC that's compatible...but really doesn't look the part...and he only has one.....

what does everyone do when the classic cast iron rotor seems like it's heading it's way to be unusable?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
There are floating alternatives available, but they are very expensive. I was in the same boat recently and replaced my rotors with EBC ones (have a look at the EBC UK website) and found them to give better braking than with the originals

Or you could send an email to:750-900 SS 1975-77 - Old Racing Spare Parts

·
Premium Member
1976 900SS , 2007 Sports Classic 1000S, 2017 939 SS
197 Posts
Try VeeTwo. Brook may have some.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know of a set off a 650 SL Pantah. Not sure they will fit you or not.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just jam a big block of wood under the motor to lift the front wheel and spin it; if the discs are warped it will be obvious. I've never seen Brembo calipers mounted on the inside of the fork legs before. The picture above looks all wrong; mine below.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Have a close look at your rotors, if the bike sat and the rotors rusted, the area where the pads were could have some rust buildup and maybe some material transfer from sitting. If you can see the outline of the pad on the rotor try going at it with some Scotchbrite and deglaze the rotor. You can get rotary discs and pads to make the job go faster. It might clear up your problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Appreciate everyone's input and thanks wdietz good idea....not seeing anything like you've described but nevertheless, I think I'll give them a once over with a scotchbrite. And Phew, I confess to being a little concerned that I'd put the brakes back together all wrong, but looks like I did OK and let's face it I'm pretty sure they'll only work one way. :) The bike also came with a hardback one-off report created by Ian Falloon who said a lot of good things about it and his pictures have the calipers in the same position....I'd like to think he would have pointed it out if they were wrong...he's pretty particular about the bikes he writes about.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If your rotors are unworn it is possible to get them reground, although I don't know if that would true them up; anyone know? Another possibility is that the mounting face on the wheel hub is corroded or has dirt or lumpy paint under the face, possibly worth looking at too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If your rotors are unworn it is possible to get them reground ... <snip>
It IS possible to get cast iron discs reground, Colin, provided always that that doesn't reduce them to less than the minimum thickness of 5.5mm. And, as you say, that you can find someone to do it.

That said ...

It's mighty unusual for a cast iron disc to be warped (in fact, it's pretty unusual for any disc to be warped. Most often they're bent. But that's a whole nuther story. Bill's advice about giving them a damn good scrubbing is spot on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You have Ceriani forks. The calipers are rare as hens teeth because they have threaded holes and Laverda owners are always hunting these. These cast iron disc always rust which doesn't mean anything. Measure the thickness, new ones are 6.5mm (I think) and the wear limit is 4.5mm???? Someone will know exactly. I just did a quick google and compared prices between the suppliers you mentioned and unless you're a millionaire I wouldn't be buying off Mdina, Old Racing Spares or V2. Contact Gowanloch Motorcycles in Sydney. Ian Gowanloch has had reproductions made in Australia for decades which in comparison are not expensive and bolt straight on. You can buy either drilled or undrilled. His drilled ones cost $178 US compared to Mdina $381 and don't even ask Old Racing Spares, they'll be $500 each. If you need any Ducati parts Mdina is the last place I'd go looking, they're consistently way above anywhere else and Old Racing Spares seems to think that he's doing you a favour by charging 3 times the retail price. A disc rotor is a disc rotor not rocking horse shit.

·
Bon Vivant
11,821 Posts
You have Ceriani forks. The calipers are rare as hens teeth because they have threaded holes and Laverda owners are always hunting these. These cast iron disc always rust which doesn't mean anything. Measure the thickness, new ones are 6.5mm (I think) and the wear limit is 4.5mm???? Someone will know exactly. I just did a quick google and compared prices between the suppliers you mentioned and unless you're a millionaire I wouldn't be buying off Mdina, Old Racing Spares or V2. Contact Gowanloch Motorcycles in Sydney. Ian Gowanloch has had reproductions made in Australia for decades which in comparison are not expensive and bolt straight on. You can buy either drilled or undrilled. His drilled ones cost $178 US compared to Mdina $381 and don't even ask Old Racing Spares, they'll be $500 each. If you need any Ducati parts Mdina is the last place I'd go looking, they're consistently way above anywhere else and Old Racing Spares seems to think that he's doing you a favour by charging 3 times the retail price. A disc rotor is a disc rotor not rocking horse shit.

And yet those guys are often half or 3/4 the price charged by some of the most well known vintage duc parts guys here in the US.

Gowanloch doesnt have most of what we need for most restoration jobs - what other suppliers do you suggest for "normal pricing"?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's getting harder and harder. For sure Gowanlochs (the shop) doesn't have everything because they're not the original Gowanlochs and it does sound counter intuitive that a shop down here would be any cheaper than up there. The discs are an anomaly I think but there are cheaper sources if you look hard enough.

It depends on what you're chasing but sometimes there are other non Ducati sources, like Motocicli Veloci for some Grimeca parts. I use the Moto Morini parts recommendations off the Netherlands Morini site a lot. There are Italian suppliers for many of the parts people commonly buy. Every new part has to come from somewhere and even Old Racing Parts gets them from somewhere. A mate recently priced the same part at Mdina and ORP who were both 3 times the price of where he eventually found it. Bottom line is to trawl but if I get stuck I ask Ian Gowanloch or Road and Race.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
There is a hell of a lot of ripping off I would think, because Ducati repro parts are often up to four times the price of old Brit bike spares. Take 900SS kickstart levers, around £400, compared to the similar Triumph T160 £116, and Darmah footrest rubbers £50 a pair from Mdina and £30 from a Spanish shop, but Brit rubbers are around £6 -£8. I know that some of this is due to volumes and there are probably a lot more old Triumphs around than Ducatis, but mainly it must be due to lack of competition, most Ducati parts are made by ORSP, so they have the market, and can charge what they like.

The problem is that if someone decides that there is demand for a certain part and gets a batch made, they know that they can charge what they like because the owners have no choice. On top of this, when I see the price that some people are asking for used parts I sometimes think that the world has gone mad.

·
Bon Vivant
11,821 Posts
I check gowanloch and they've never had a single part that I need and I buy from Phil when he has a part but lately he's not had what I need (and shipping from OZ is crazy). Besides, ordering from Phil is tedious - he needs to get an actual eCommerce template for his website (and yeah he's not the only one). The bottom line is there is no well known source for parts that are cheaper than what ORSP, Vintage duc, and Mdina are charging.

I dont want to spend all day chasing down a widget to save 3 bucks. I'll usually check 3 or 4 of my usual sources and often only 1 or 2 of them actually have the part in stock. Its usually cheaper to have the parts shipped from over-seas than to buy from the guys in the states - even when buying from Mdina or ORSP. I really dont see much choice.

And, some of the repro stuff is absolute garbage besides being WAY over priced. Yeah, I paid over $400 US for a pair of clip-ons with levers and not one part of the "kit" fit together. - threads were wrong, bolts the wrong size, Holes drilled in the wrong place, had to grind, hammer, drill, machine, and tap to get these things together and working - normally a 10 minute job to mount a couple of levers in their perchs along with choke and light switch - took over 8 hours...

If someone can give me the name of a cheaper source of good parts I'd be happy to use them. I have 3 restorations underway right now.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Here's another mystery: Velocette Omega piston, 86mm, forged, squish, £162. Ducati 900 Omega piston, 86mm, forged, squish, £220. Almost £60 more, does anyone know why? Is the market for Velocette pistons bigger than that for Ducati?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts