Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first posting (new member and Ducati owner). I just took my new-to-me 2001 750SS out for a first ride tonight after a few months of working on it getting it road-worthy. It was kind of rough when I bought it, but it seemed to run very well and even had the valves adjusted, betls changed, new spark plugs, oil change, computer test, etc just before it was put away last fall.
This is the first twin I've had, so I don't know how these things are supposed to run & ride. I've ridden 4clys up to now and am used to them being pretty smooth. At about 3K RPM and 40 MPH the Ducati seemed to chug a little bit and feel kind of like it was starving for fuel (the tank is about 2/3 full). At lower speeds it was good and accelerrated strongly.
Do these engines tend to vibrate much, or should I suspect something may be wrong? I admit it could be old fuel. I don't think the previous owner put any stabilizer in the tank before putting it away.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
That motor definitely will lug if you are in too high a gear at low speed. It will pull 3000 rpm cleanly in the lower gears, but in the higher gears opening the throttle at 3000 rpm will just have the motor jumping up and down in the frame, producing no acceleration at all.

With the 750 you really do have to row the gearbox a bit to keep the engine speed up where the motor works well. I used to ride around at 5500 to 6000 rpm alot on my 750 when at 50 mph, just so there would be some useable torque on hand. 4000 to 8000 rpm is the sweet spot for the 750, and if you change gears to keep the motor spinning in that range you will be happy.

If it hasn't already been done, you might like to change the final drive gearing. I think stock is a 15 tooth front and 40 tooth rear. I put a 43 tooth rear on my bike and liked the change very much. It fit with the OEM cain length, but barely. Others put 14 tooth sprockets on the front, which is a similar adjustment in gearing. Changing either sprocket is quite an easy job, and cheap too. One of the best changes you can make.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That must be it. That's just what it felt like. My last bike was an '03 ZX6R that had no trouble pulling from 3K in even top gear. Thank you for the quick reply. Looking forward to finally owning a Ducati and getting used to the breed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question

Hi again, I have another question. Started the bike up today for a bit and I thought I heard what almost might be called a light "tingy" rap coming from what seemed to be the horizontal cylinder's valve area. I know the Desmo valve system is supposed to have a mechanical sound, but I'm not sure if the sound I'm hearing is OK.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
take it out on the road and use it as it is intended to.
your bike has been serviced last fall, the engine design
has been around for decades, and is literally bullet proof
if used properly.

stop worrying and start to get used to the bike so
you can enjoy it as you should, it is great.

cheers. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi again, I have another question. Started the bike up today for a bit and I thought I heard what almost might be called a light "tingy" rap coming from what seemed to be the horizontal cylinder's valve area. I know the Desmo valve system is supposed to have a mechanical sound, but I'm not sure if the sound I'm hearing is OK.
The 750, like a lot of air cooled bikes, is a noisy motor so you'll hear more mechanical sounds. My Sport also makes a "tingy" noise, especially when it's cold. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if you're had it serviced recently. And as others have already said, the 750 does tend to prefer to be above 4k. I too was a little surprised by the powerband being used to a Suzuki SV, but the bike loves to be ridden fast as long as you keep the motor speed up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I know I must sound like a worry-wart. It's just that before my '03 ZX6R I had an '86 VFR700 that was getting unreliable at the end of my owning it and I got stranded a couple times, so getting a bike I don't know and wasn't in the greatest shape to begin with, is just making me a little nervous.

OK, I'll take your advice and just ride the thing and get used to it. Thanks for your help and reassurance.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
+1 on not getting scared from some engine sounds.

We own a couple of air cooled ducatis (including a 750ss from '01 like you).
They vibrate under 4k rpm, should clear up at 4k+.
Don't worry about some engine noises, it is indeed a "loud" engine.
My 600 and 750 both make this sort off thingy noise when pulling up from 3kish, think it's normal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other question. Had my turn signals all fail the other day while riding. I suspect the relay since all are dead. Question is, which relay is it? There are more than one on the bike and not sure where the turn signal one is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts